Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG's Position on Microsoft/ACES Layoffs

FEX weather engine and airport textures anyone, they may not have officially announced a closure but I personally don't think we will ever see the rest of what we paid for when we purchased FEX.
The two FEX devs, Wilding and Norris posted today on the FEX forum (after a 2 month absence)... IMHO it's the same old "don't worry, were working on it, been lots of problems lately" story we've been hearing for the last two years! :(

Matthew S

That is accurate - FSX actually outsold FS9 by quite a lot. We've sold more MD-11s for FSX than we have for FS9 by a 2:1 margin too. A vocal minority is still a minority folks...
Well, you can't argue with that. If it weren't for this irritating finacial crisis I might just take the step of buying a new comp for FSX. But I can't risk that expenditure for now. Still, as one of the minority FS9 MD-11 users, I'm really happy with this top-class product and expect to be able to use it for a few more years yet.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Well, i haven't heard of any hardware today, no matter how much it costs that can actually run a complex airliner at airports like JFK, Heathrow.. and similar airports with addons like activesky, UTX, GEX.. etc at maximum settings in FSX above 30 FPS.I will move over to FSX the day such hardware becomes available, but until that day i will remain with FS9.RegardsJan

Well, i haven't heard of any hardware today, no matter how much it costs that can actually run a complex airliner at airports like JFK, Heathrow.. and similar airports with addons like activesky, UTX, GEX.. etc at maximum settings in FSX above 30 FPS.I will move over to FSX the day such hardware becomes available, but until that day i will remain with FS9.RegardsJan
Really? I'm pretty sure the new CORE I7 processors could, along with decent ram and a decent video card. Right now with a 3.0ghz dual core , 3 gigs of ram, and an 8800gtx I can get 30 fps in large cities with the highest resolution and ultra high scenery (not quite all opened) and the PMDG MD-11. So yeah, you really can.James

Really? I'm pretty sure the new CORE I7 processors could, along with decent ram and a decent video card. Right now with a 3.0ghz dual core , 3 gigs of ram, and an 8800gtx I can get 30 fps in large cities with the highest resolution and ultra high scenery (not quite all opened) and the PMDG MD-11. So yeah, you really can.James
I'd like to see some proof of that before i start investing in new hardware. but if that's indeed the case i may be upgrading this summer :)But when i have asked most FSX users what FPS they get in environments like i described in my earlier post, they never reply.RegardsJan

I'd like to see some proof of that before i start investing in new hardware. but if that's indeed the case i may be upgrading this summer :)But when i have asked most FSX users what FPS they get in environments like i described in my earlier post, they never reply.RegardsJan
I'd wait until early next year. The 32nm die shrink of the Core i7 platform (Codenamed Westmere) is due out in H1 2010, and will be better for games. The X58 motherboards and DDR3 RAM should be much cheaper by then too. There should also be some new graphics cards and possible some cheaper SSDs.I just built my computer last summer: E8400, HD4870 512Mb, DFI X48 mobo, 8gbs DDR3 800 RAM, and I get respectable performance with FSX on Ultra High Settings. However, I will be upgrading to Westmere when it comes out.http://techgage.com/article/intel_reveals_...e_32nm_roadmap/