Sign in to follow this  

Flight 1 Iron Knuckles DC-9 Add On

Hello,This is my first post on the Avsim forums so hi everyone. I was wondering if the add-on Iron Knuckles DC-9 is any good. All the reviews I have read about it all seem to give it really good reviews. If anyone has got this add-on what do you think of it? Is the panel good? Thanks for reading! :-)RegardsEAC_732

hiDc9 iron knuckles is very good.well worth the money if you like the DC-9.very good 2D and VC panels..there is a patch out ,and i would install that as soon as possible...if you buy it of course..highly recommended.also loads of extra liveries available. best wishes steve

Guest Ian Ritchie

Its excellent! The panel is probably one of my favourites in FS. It handles so well, ive never shot an instrument approach in it.

It is awesome - one of my favorite add ons. It is definitely one to read the manual on though - lots of things go on in the cockpit.

Hi, Welcome to the forums. I also have this product. As the others here say, it's well done all round. This is $$ well spent, and the result of some well known and respected designers. You can't go wrong- but just be prepared to read the manual.Bruce.

Hi,When I first bought the Flight1 DC-9, I couldn't believe at how great the frame rates were compared to some other add-ons! Flight1 Software has sure got it right between the balance of detail and framerates. I did experience some stuttering problems with an ATI RADEON 7000 64mb graphics card so I got a refund. But now, I have upgraded to a RADEON 9500 128mb and I'm definitely gonna to buy it again. Hope this helps.Regards,Canadian HawkC-GTGK

Hi,Thanks for all your reply's:-). When you are climbing to your cruising altitude or descending to an altitude is that done manually or by autopilot? And does it have an autothrottle or do you have to maintain your own speed?RegardsEAC_732

The real DC-9 does not have auto-throttle, and neither does this product. There is an altitude hold, but only a pitch control on the a/p for changing altitudes. This is why they call it "Iron Knuckles", you're actually flying it a lot. Just like the real thing. Do you have the C.S. B727? It's not too different in technology to that.Bruce.

Guest cw1011

The product is an excellent flying simulation - if you are looking for hard-core systems sim, you will be unhappy with your purchase. That is a non-judgemental statement. I am not interested in a hard core systems sim, so that doesn't matter to me. It does to some though.The plane flies very well, the workload shows that the developers put a lot of thought into compromises between "as real as it gets" and the making a complex, two person aircraft flyable by one likely novice pilot (like me).The 2-D panel is terrific with thoughful touches like being able to increase the size of the primary flight instruments - critical for flying jets where attitude and power are the names of the game. I think the VC is poor and never use it. It is very blocky and cartoonish and borders on ugly. Not all the gauges work in VC either and you cannot use any switches etc. They developer also chose to use the VC view for side views in the 2d cockptit, which is a tad disapointing. If you want a good VC in a jet, buy the PSS Airbus or fly the freeeware Falcon 50. It will be interesting to see if there is an FS 2004 update that increases both attractiveness and functionality. The model is enjoyable and pretty accurate - you can fly it using real documentation from Douglas as long as you use N1% for your engine settings. The EPR readings don't coordinate well with published thrust charts, though this isn't surprising since EPR is not a parameter modeled in MSFS2002. The plane will require your complete attention and a lot of flight planning to get the most out of the package. As noted above, no FMC, no sophisticated autopilot, no moving map and no auto throttle except for speed contron at crusing alititudes. No autoland either, which is fine with me because I like flying my approaches. All in all a good package despite some small shortcomings - but I think the price is very fair. The developers delivered what they said the would, an entertaining simulation of a jet from the "golden age" of jet aviation. Colin

Hello,It sounds fantastic, I think I'm probably going to get it. Colin, what do you mean by hard-core systems sim? Thanks for your replys. :-)RegardsEAC_732

Guest ba747heavy

Hard core system sim = all the subsystems that make up an airplane being modeled out in a sim product. All the switches and gauges. RFP 747-200 and 767 PIC are examples.

Since the DC-9 is one of my favorites I bought this addon the day it came out. You will get support with it through flight1 if needed. There are plenty of extra P/S out. I mainly use this plane to fly cargo routes . There are 3 types of Dc-9's plus text-o-matic,load manger,GREAT sounds and a excellent airfile. Iam not much for the VC and it's my least favorite part of the addon. I think it needs ALOT of work to own up to the rest of the VC's in payware but this does not take away from the enjoyment because the 2d panel is so well done you will not find yourself using the VC much anyways. I do wish it had a landing view though. The model is really nice but iam not much for the full transparent cockpit windows. I wish they had more of a "tinted" look to it. Now for the most important part of the page the panel,subsystems and flying. This is a pretty complete panel. It's got all of the important aspects of the DC-9 covered.There is a autopilot but it is from the autopilots of that time. It is much like that of the 727. The gauges are not to hard to read but they have subpanels for all the gauges just so you can read them better if needed. Flying this panel is very a goodchallenge if you have a yoke and pedals, espically in bad weather. Regardless I can always hand fly this panel from decent to landing with no problems.This is a very unforgiving plane and it takes alot of getting used to. You must follow the procedure of the plane through every little detail or else ... well i will let you see it :) . this is the only plane in my hanger next to the PSS airbus so that says alot because generally I only fly the A320 but I grew up with the DC9 and have great love for it's history.Flight1 did a great job with it :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Can I ask all you guys a question then, please? The new boxed product that Just Flight is bundling with the PSS Dash 8, which they are calling DC9-30 Profssional, or something like that: do any of you know if this is the Iron Knuckles, or is it a completely new and different offering?Thanks for any advice - don't want to buy the wrong thing!

In fact, they're the only examples if you think the DC-9 isn't up there with the most detailed...The IK DC-9 models a larger part of the switches and systems than even the PSS 747 which many consider to be hardcore.It's certainly on a level with the Dreamfleet/Flight1 737 which models about everything short of the emergency oxygen...

I haven't seen that combo (I've only seen them separate). Sounds like they bundled the two products for marketting.AFAIK there is no other DC-9 commercial package on the market right now.