Sign in to follow this  
KevMac

Encouraging News from Microsoft

Guys, I think we need to stop thinking this is going to be some very arcadish game. They are probably incorporating a wide range features that spans from fun (and still simulation) to hardcore simulation, so wee need to stop worrying and need to stop with the doom and gloom, because that is probably what is not going to happen. Microsoft understands the broad range of uses, and they will probably have settings and things tailored for someone that just wants to look at scenery, or someone that wants the full experience and track VORs. You need to understand guys, that although FSX is a simulator, the ACES team focused more on the environment, gameplay/simulation and physics; they do not spend as much time on aircraft. So basically ACES team gave us FSX with a base platform with a great environment and air physics, and they leave hardcore simulation of planes to 3rd party developers. So I think they are probably gonna have the same focus in this game. More simulation of the world/environment, physics, and other things the user would not want to tweak, and leave advance simulations to 3rd party developers (MS, if you have a plan to put a FMS system in airliner for your next flight simulation game, do not listen to this!!! :( :(). Some default aircraft are very good simulators of their real world counter parts though.

Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Does working on a small, innovative team that delivers the most immersive flight experiences available today on the PC intrigue you? Our technology makes available entire continents - potentially the entire planet - for a detailed and dynamic 3D experience. We are looking for a Project Art Lead who can define, refine, and extend the visual elements while balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users

It seem rational to me too. The skills needed to develop in XNA are unlikely to be the same as those for C(++).
XNA is a class structure replacement for DirectX, to put it in simplistic terms.C(++) is a development language with a compiler, XNA is not.As for this notion of FS on X-Box... XNA will not support the detailed complexity that FS requires. There is a significant difference between a 'mapped' environment versus a global one. If you don't understand that discussion point... please, take the time to learn what a mapped environment is. :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

XNA is a class structure replacement for DirectX, to put it in simplistic terms.C(++) is a development language with a compiler, XNA is not.As for this notion of FS on X-Box... XNA will not support the detailed complexity that FS requires. There is a significant difference between a 'mapped' environment versus a global one. If you don't understand that discussion point... please, take the time to learn what a mapped environment is. :)
My understanding (which I admit is limited) is that previously games were written in C++ with DirectX but that Microsoft's preferred(?) option is C# and XNA I believe but that games that use XNA can technically be written in any .NET-compliant language, but only C# and XNA Game Studio Express IDE and Visual Studio 2005 are officially supported.

My understanding (which I admit is limited) is that previously games were written in C++ with DirectX but that Microsoft's preferred(?) option is C# and XNA I believe but that games that use XNA can technically be written in any .NET-compliant language, but only C# and XNA Game Studio Express IDE and Visual Studio 2005 are officially supported.
C# is C++ with a really overweighted class environment. If you know C++, you can program in C#.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Phantoms
If it fits you perfect why do you need another version? Just carry on using FSX.
If it comes to that, that's what I plan to do. I'm not interested in any arcade features.
That's what firms do. If a firm decides it can get better returns by adopting a different strategy then that's what it will do.
I know that and don't really blame them for doing it, after all they're in business to make as much profit as they can. But it's unfortunate for those that made them into what they are through the years as they don't want to see a change of direction, they want things to continue on as they are with improvements only. Doesn't make either side right though.

If it comes to that, that's what I plan to do. I'm not interested in any arcade features.I know that and don't really blame them for doing it, after all they're in business to make as much profit as they can. But it's unfortunate for those that made them into what they are through the years as they don't want to see a change of direction, they want things to continue on as they are with improvements only. Doesn't make either side right though.
To save me from getting carpel tunnel, I'll quote what I said previously. FSX and FS2004 have NEVER been full simulations on the aircraft side. The developers have always focused on the simulation of the ENVIRONMENT/WORLD, since day 1 so I do not see what you are worrying about. The next version is NOT going to be some arcade thing where there are no flight plans, no ATC. They know they have to have all the good stuff and things for the broad range of users, or else nobody will buy it. Everybody needs to stop associating the new flight simulation team with aracade. Microsoft is obviously trying to bring in some new ideas, while keeping the good old features. They know the broad range of users that play FS, and they know they won't buy some skydiving only game. It is going to be a flight SIMULATION. So expect ATC, expect great air physics, expect decent default aircraft that are good enough for advance simulation, expect a beautiful world (If they incorporate MS Virtual Earth), and expect MANY new features/ideas. Again, do not expect some arcade only game that does not have the basics for developers to expand on. They have to have some kind aeronautical database at least. Way may also get the best thing of all which is a major engine overhaul, or a new engine built from the ground up. So keep your hopes high, and do not demean Microsoft, they know what they are doing. More money for any game does not mean the game will instantly go arcade, and the job listings do not say "Create simple environments, and apply your skills to make aircraft very easy to use." The job listings say develop things for the broad set of users, pretty much a good hint they are not going to make you fly a plane with the systems of the Wright Bros. First Flight.
Guys, I think we need to stop thinking this is going to be some very arcadish game. They are probably incorporating a wide range features that spans from fun (and still simulation) to hardcore simulation, so wee need to stop worrying and need to stop with the doom and gloom, because that is probably what is not going to happen. Microsoft understands the broad range of uses, and they will probably have settings and things tailored for someone that just wants to look at scenery, or someone that wants the full experience and track VORs. You need to understand guys, that although FSX is a simulator, the ACES team focused more on the environment, gameplay/simulation and physics; they do not spend as much time on aircraft. So basically ACES team gave us FSX with a base platform with a great environment and air physics, and they leave hardcore simulation of planes to 3rd party developers. So I think they are probably gonna have the same focus in this game. More simulation of the world/environment, physics, and other things the user would not want to tweak, and leave advance simulations to 3rd party developers (MS, if you have a plan to put a FMS system in airliner for your next flight simulation game, do not listen to this!!! :( :(). Some default aircraft are very good simulators of their real world counter parts though.
To all those people who wanted a new “Engine” For flight sim, their wish could very well be granted! From what I can see there is definitely a new flight team in the works at Microsoft. Like gman’s guess, my guess is it’s going to be a Flight Simulator possibly based on new Microsoft Virtual Earth Technology. If you think about it, Microsoft decision to cut ACES was not that radical of a decision. I was absolutely shocked when they told us ACES was shutting down! I could never see in a million years why they would want to kill flight simulator? I mean they pretty much had a monopoly on the product and was making tons of money off it –why would the kill it? But now that I step back I can see why upper management decided to go that route. With ESP and everything, Aces studio was starting to develop a “world Simulator”. The Virual Earth group was also doing pretty much the same exact same thing – developing a 3d world Simulator. So why have two groups developing two world simulators? Seems a little inefficient hu? So what’s the most logical decision? To cut ACES and the Flight Sim code and start from a much fresher and newer perspective, where newer technology from various groups, such as virtual earth, and windows live can easily be implemented without working around old outdated code found in the current build of flight sim. Anyways – this is all speculation on my part. And upper management did an excellent job at keeping this on the low key because I never heard anything about this while my last days at ACES. I am just excited there actually going to be another flight sim! Hopefully when they get to making content I can try and get back on the team!
Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Does working on a small, innovative team that delivers the most immersive flight experiences available today on the PC intrigue you? Our technology makes available entire continents - potentially the entire planet - for a detailed and dynamic 3D experience. We are looking for a Project Art Lead who can define, refine, and extend the visual elements while balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users
Notice the key words in the job listing: refine, extend, and approachability. Pretty much that says it all if you know your english. Refine, means cleaning up old code or elements of previous flight simulators (perhaps if there is a new engine, they will still be able to use objects from previous simulators). Extend is basically saying that they need to make the simulation even better than previous versions and and new elements and ideas to extend the simulation. Approachability is one of the biggest clues. They listing said exactly "balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users". This means the simulator should be like what it is right now. Fun enough to pick up new users, and enough of a simulation to bring people to new versions, and not make lots of rants about the realism.I know that when most of you guys that did not know anything about aviation, was introduced to flight simulator, you did not know what an ILS is, or maybe a VOR, or even a knot maybe. But the sim was fun enough for you guys to keep you playing and broaden your knowledge overtime, taking you from complete aviation newb, to virtual pilot that likes to do things the way its done in the real world. This is most likely what Microsoft wants, because the truth is, if flight simulator was not fun at all and EVERY default airliner had an FMS, or NO option to turn advance systems on or off when you were introduced, you guys would have put down the controller after 2 minutes and asked for a refund, no lie, and you would probably not be on these forums right now. So be glad Microsoft is doing this.

The Xbox 360 games are REQUIRED to run without any kind of storage medium.
Sorry everyone if i'm necroing this thread but 360 games aren't required to run without any kind of storage medium. Final Fantasy Online requires the owner to have a HDD on their Xbox as the game installs to the hard drive, Cryptics' Champions Online will also have this requirement.