Sign in to follow this  
sac601

FS9 Freeze out of memories

I am flying long flight and just when I arrived at the airport destination often it freeze and said not enought memories. What can I do to frixe that. I used a very high end computor with enough memery Window XP and FS9. I used Activbe Sky and addon sceneries and plane.ThanksAl

I think we all know that this is a typical OOM error. They happen easily on 32bit system, what I think the original poster is using.Say, isn't it time to make a pinned post about it, say in the tips and tricks forum?

Guest flightsim115

I have the same problem with long hauls.The last 2 I made were both about 10hrs each and I suffered OOMs...the first was on the OCK2F arrival into EGLL and the second was at 4nm from touchdown, again at EGLL.I use FS9, XP PRO SP3 (32bit), AS 6.5, UT Europe/USA/Canada & Alaska, FS Genesis USA/Europe and SB3. FPS are set to 30Both the above flights were from KLAX (Cloud 9) to EGLL (Heathrow Extreme) in the PMDG 747-400On the first flight all my sceneries were active but for the second flight I deactivated all addon sceneries except for both airports and UT Europe and yet I still got an OOM.My specs:ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe M/Board4gb RAM....virtual memory/paging file size = 4605mb (Mem usage adjusted for best perf of programs)2 x Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX cards....each driving it's own monitor and drivers updatedAMD Athlon 64-FX-62 Dual Core ProcessorI've searched these forums and found loads of things re OOMs but to be honest most of it is way over my head. I've tried the 3gb switch but that stops my BA Virtual ACARS prog from working so I've deleted the switch.Before the flights I defraged the disk putting all FS files to the outer edge for faster access times; run disk cleanup; run "SmartClose" to shut down all unecessary background progs; run FS Manager to check for scenery errors...yet still got the OOMs I've read many times that using a 64bit system resolves the OOMs but does that mean I and others with a 32bit system cannot do "long" long hauls ? I've done "shorther" long hauls (about 8hrs duration) with no problems.Would really like to know if there is a solution (except for going to 64bit).Dave.

Thanks Dave, I am in the same boat. Never had any problem befor it just started this year. Please anyone help in simple term.Al

Guest lgvpilot1

Dave Unfortunately for you , you seem to be running two of the most notorious things i have personally found for OOMsUT europe and Heathrow extreme !!There are patches and upgrades to both these great scenerys but for the life of me I always get an OOM with themTo give you an idea , without them I have and can fly from EGLL to WSSS with active sky, PMDG 747 ,FSrealtime ,FSflightkeeper . AI at 100% all running and make that trip in real time with no problems There are about a thousand solutions to the problem , dual afcads ,ai,landclass,but I think in the long term the best solution is to upgrade to a 64bit os.I have'nt done so yet because I have no problems but I will , it just seems like the next logical step in improving the sim in general , and at least i wont be checking the task manager PF window when Im on finals at egll and everything starts to slow down :( Mark

What to you mean by upgrated to 64 bits? Do you mean more ram?Sorry for my ignorance.Al

Guest lgvpilot1
What to you mean by upgrated to 64 bits? Do you mean more ram?Sorry for my ignorance.Al
My bad should have explained better . Have a look at this post ,I think it will go some way in explaining what i meant64 bits?Mark

Guest flightsim115
My bad should have explained better . Have a look at this post ,I think it will go some way in explaining what i meant64 bits?Mark
Hi Mark,Thx for the reply.I dont use ai (its disabled as far as I know) as I only fly online using Vatsim.I've done a search on my system for duplicate afcads but nothing found. Used FS Manager for landclass issues etc and "repaired" the few that it found.Am at a loss now as what to do. As you said, the best solution would be to upgrade to 64bit but to be honest that can wait as the only problem I get with FS9 is the OOM's on the "long" long hauls. Guess I'll just stick to flights of no more than 8hrs.Thx for all your help.Dave.

The number of OOMs on my system reduced to almost nil after I doubled the size of the windows page file (virtual memory). In another forum, I read it's a good idea to reduce the mesh complexity to 95% in lieu of 100%. This reduction is barely noticeable but reduces the number of calculations by your CPU (and subsequent use of memory space) significantly.Also; don't "play" to much. FS does not like it when you constantly switch views, make screenshots, switch windows, etc. I always try to do that as minimal as possible (although I admit I LOVE :( looking from the outside during flight).Regards,Frank

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Thanks, I'll try that.Al
Still have the same problem. I wonder if I had more meg of ram if it would help?Al

Guest lgvpilot1
Still have the same problem. I wonder if I had more meg of ram if it would help?Al
I have re-read this post and as Jim asked "how much ram is enough"How much ram memory do you have ?If you are running A 32bit OS , XP or Vista then Anything over 4gig (3.2 if you want to be pedantic)will just be a waste of money .As i have said before I can take the PMDG 747 from EGLL and let it fly for 13 hours in real time to where ever (ie wsss, rjtt) with all sliders right(apart from autogen thats off) 100% ai and a host of other programs running , and I dont get OOm,s with 2gig of ram If you have tried the 3gb switch and you are still getting OOm,s then you may need to have a look at your add-on installations for a potential leak, though I dont envy you that task The only other thing i can suggest is to do a search about processes that are running on your PC, and eliminate as many of them as possible There is plenty of good advice to be had Good luckMark

There are only three solutions to OOM problems and these have already been listed above, but just to reiterate and emphasize, they are as follows:1) Implement the /3GB /userva swtiches (where userva = system ram - 768Mb - video ram; otherwise excessive paging will occur); or2) Upgrade to a 64bit operating system; or3) Reduce the complexity of the scenery environment.There are no other solutions that will yield a resolution to these problems, with the caveat that the 3rd option is pretty much a stop-gap measure and any new complex airliner, additional AI planes (if any) or a detailed airport may upset the balance. Keep in mind that all these also have their downsides. The 3GB switch messes up AES and may cause issues with other software installed on the system, while moving to a 64 bit system can cause compatibility issues and so on and so forth. Personally, I'm currently running XP 32bit SP3 with 4Gb of RAM and the /3GB switch enabled and haven't had an OOM event since implementing it.