Sign in to follow this  
bdstorm

Opinions on Potential Hardware Upgrade

I currently have both FSX and FS 9 on my rather aged system: Windows XP 32 Bit, SP 3, AMD 64 4000 at 2.45 GHZ, 1 Gig Ram and Radeon 1300 card. This runs FS 9 pretty well but obviously it struggles with FSX. I had planned to upgrade my system after MS released the next version, FS 11. However, since it appears that FSX might be the last flight sim from MS, at least for a while, I have been thinking to upgrade now. I am looking at the following (I do not plan to over clock): ASUS P6T Deluxe, Intel i7940 Nehalem 2.93 GHz, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR SDRAM 1600, BFG Tech GTX 85 1GB 512 bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video card, WD 300GB SATA 10000 RPM HD. ASUS 22X DVD Burner SATAI have previously ordered a Viewsonic 2230, 22", 5 MS monitor, haven't received it yet.A couple of questions, other than the obvious. 1. Opinions on the above system or should I continue to wait? Excluding the monitor, the above is about $2000 at Newegg. 2. What size power supply? 3. I have an older ANTEC Full Tower case (which I am happy with), but should I upgrade the case. I don't want LED lights, etc, just a basic looking case and as I said, I am happy with what I have. 4. What operating system. Keep XP 32 bit until Windows 7, upgrade to Vista Bit 64?Any help would be appreciated. Brad Storm

I currently have both FSX and FS 9 on my rather aged system: Windows XP 32 Bit, SP 3, AMD 64 4000 at 2.45 GHZ, 1 Gig Ram and Radeon 1300 card. This runs FS 9 pretty well but obviously it struggles with FSX. I had planned to upgrade my system after MS released the next version, FS 11. However, since it appears that FSX might be the last flight sim from MS, at least for a while, I have been thinking to upgrade now. I am looking at the following (I do not plan to over clock): ASUS P6T Deluxe, Intel i7940 Nehalem 2.93 GHz, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR SDRAM 1600, BFG Tech GTX 85 1GB 512 bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video card, WD 300GB SATA 10000 RPM HD. ASUS 22X DVD Burner SATAI have previously ordered a Viewsonic 2230, 22", 5 MS monitor, haven't received it yet.A couple of questions, other than the obvious. 1. Opinions on the above system or should I continue to wait? Excluding the monitor, the above is about $2000 at Newegg. 2. What size power supply? 3. I have an older ANTEC Full Tower case (which I am happy with), but should I upgrade the case. I don't want LED lights, etc, just a basic looking case and as I said, I am happy with what I have. 4. What operating system. Keep XP 32 bit until Windows 7, upgrade to Vista Bit 64?Any help would be appreciated. Brad Storm
1- Guess you mean GTX 285. It's ok and if it is just for FSX you don't even need the 285, the 260 is enough.2- 750W real, minimum.3- If it's Antec 900 it's ok. Otherwise, watch for space for that GTX 285, it's big.4- Upgrade to Vista 64 bits, XP 32 won't use all that RAM.Don't forget a good cooler, because you will overclock that 940.Try to get a 2ms monitor instead of a 5ms. You will notice the difference.Just my opinion. Hope it helps.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest Nick_N
PSU... minimum true 750watt especially if you intend to clock.. PC Power and Cooling, excellent for the cost. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703009 and it has a rebate as wellGTX 285 is a good choice, especially if you intend to clock i7.. already went through that change with someone at simforums and they are very happy with that card on i7 clocked.OS is tough.. you are better off on a 64bit OS with FSX SP2 or Acceleration and unfortunately you will not have access to above 4GB with the 32bit OS. It would be beneficial for a 64bit OS to be on this hardware. I personally use XP X64 and will most likely not move past it till Windows7 x64 is released and has gone through its growing pains.You may experience OOM issues and will need to make the proper edits to the boot.ini file for the 3GB switch and VM if you stay on XP 32as long as the tower is the same form factor has good airflow and the space you need I do not see any problem with retaining it. I typically use the Silverstone line of towers however they can get a bit pricey

1- Guess you mean GTX 285. It's ok and if it is just for FSX you don't even need the 285, the 260 is enough.2- 750W real, minimum.3- If it's Antec 900 it's ok. Otherwise, watch for space for that GTX 285, it's big.4- Upgrade to Vista 64 bits, XP 32 won't use all that RAM.Don't forget a good cooler, because you will overclock that 940.Try to get a 2ms monitor instead of a 5ms. You will notice the difference.Just my opinion. Hope it helps.Cheers.
Thanks for your input. Brad Storm
PSU... minimum true 750watt especially if you intend to clock.. PC Power and Cooling, excellent for the cost. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703009 and it has a rebate as wellGTX 285 is a good choice, especially if you intend to clock i7.. already went through that change with someone at simforums and they are very happy with that card on i7 clocked.OS is tough.. you are better off on a 64bit OS with FSX SP2 or Acceleration and unfortunately you will not have access to above 4GB with the 32bit OS. It would be beneficial for a 64bit OS to be on this hardware. I personally use XP X64 and will most likely not move past it till Windows7 x64 is released and has gone through its growing pains.You may experience OOM issues and will need to make the proper edits to the boot.ini file for the 3GB switch and VM if you stay on XP 32as long as the tower is the same form factor has good airflow and the space you need I do not see any problem with retaining it. I typically use the Silverstone line of towers however they can get a bit pricey
Thanks for your input. Brad Storm

If you can afford it! :( 1. You may want to consider getting a second WD 300MB 10000RPM VelociRaptor where you use one for the OS (Vista 64bit) and the second one for the FSX setup. (do not put them in RAID)2. If you are not a do it your self over-clocker get a Core i7 965 Extreme.3. If you are not a do it your self over-clocker get a factory over-clocked GTX 285 like a EVGA GTX 285 FTW or a ASUS GTX 285 Ultimate (do not get a GTX 295).4. Get a bigger PSU with higher wattage.