Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Stress test for CPU's for using CoreTemp to measure temps.

I am aware of Prime95 that offers the ultimate stress to a CPU, but am wondering what people use to calibrate their temps using CoreTemp? Is FSX a good candidate for doing this- and if so, what do you do with it- load up KLAX on a busy day with full AI and all sliders to the right?Thanks, Bruce.

I am aware of Prime95 that offers the ultimate stress to a CPU, but am wondering what people use to calibrate their temps using CoreTemp? Is FSX a good candidate for doing this- and if so, what do you do with it- load up KLAX on a busy day with full AI and all sliders to the right?Thanks, Bruce.
FSX is not a good candidate for doing that. Use Prime95 or OCCT and latest Real Temp (or EVGA precision if you have an EVGA card) to measure the temps.In FSX you will get 15 to 25 degrees less than you get on a real stress test with Prime95 or OCCT.Loading KLAX on a busy day with full AI and all sliders to the right might get you a 60

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest Nick_N
Prime95 is no longer considered the best CPU stress software to use.. either OCCT v2.01 for Intel C2/Q or OCCT beta v3 for i7, or many are now switching to Intels own LINPAK stress test which is part of their benchmark package which tends to do an even better job than OCCT however its a bit more technical to use.RealTemp must be used correctly based on its version. Newer versions require the user input the TJMAX value for the proc they are using if what is displayed my RealTemp is not correct. CoreTemp will usually nail most C2/Q procs correctly however as newer procs come on the scene such as i7 only RealTemp 2.90 (or above) beta can be used for those.FSX will in no way shape or form stress a CPU to the point OCCT or LINPACK will.. typically even under the highest load FSX will a proc run 15-20c less than properly designed stress software

Prime95 is no longer considered the best CPU stress software to use.. either OCCT v2.01 for Intel C2/Q or OCCT beta v3 for i7, or many are now switching to Intels own LINPAK stress test which is part of their benchmark package which tends to do an even better job than OCCT however its a bit more technical to use.RealTemp must be used correctly based on its version. Newer versions require the user input the TJMAX value for the proc they are using if what is displayed my RealTemp is not correct. CoreTemp will usually nail most C2/Q procs correctly however as newer procs come on the scene such as i7 only RealTemp 2.90 (or above) beta can be used for those.FSX will in no way shape or form stress a CPU to the point OCCT or LINPACK will.. typically even under the highest load FSX will a proc run 15-20c less than properly designed stress software
Thanks Nick and Alvega, much appreciated.Bruce.

Thanks Nick and Alvega, much appreciated.Bruce.
I calibrated Realtemp for my previous E8500 following the website instructions which require the low end to be defined by getting the processor to run at minimum performance (by underclocking or whatever) to identify the idle temperature. The max temperature for the 8500 is already known by realtemp. The range is then correctly set.Not sure about calibration for i7 or if it is even needed.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs