Sign in to follow this  
Check_Airman

STANDBY NAV and a few other questions

Guess who!?I've been playing around with some more failures, and I've turned up a few questions.1. Should selecting STANDBY nav on one CDU put the other CDU in standby nav also?2. When in STANDBY NAV mode, the DIR INTC page allows entry of waypoints that are not in the flightplan. This should not be so, since the FMC is unavailable. Can this be corrected?3. The manual states that with an FMC failed, the offside roll bar will be removed. I do not see this behavio(u)r. Is this an airline option?4. MIN PROF should not be displayed when a LOC approach is selected in the FMS, yet I notice that it is indeed displayed when I select LOC 08L KMIA.5. With the bleeds off (GE) and hydraulics unavailable (PW), I can still unlock the reversers and apply reverse thrust. Is there any chance that this will be corrected?6. On the DIR INTC page, PMDG requires a leading slash be entered if using the INTC CRS, but the manual does not state that a leading slash is required.7. The manual state that if the TD is bypassed, a DECEL prompt should be displayed at 1R of the ACT-FPLN page to prevent getting too high if the descent is delayed. Are there any plans to model this function?Thanks,Paul

Guest cfgarrod

Wow! You are deep into esoterics...Maybe you should write directly to Honeywell/Sperry...?Chris G

It all adds to depth of the simulation... hey at least he's not complaining about wing views! :( Rob

Rob Prest

I agree, Rob. Paul has raised some very interesting issues over the past couple of weeks and the developers have indicated they take note. However, an interim response to Paul is that the emphasis is on getting the bugs out that cause problems. Then, time and resources available, they will go for the finer details that pass muster with other pilots to make the product stand out.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cfgarrod
Guess who!?I've been playing around with some more failures, and I've turned up a few questions.Had a look through the books, there's not enough detail to be certain but I think the answers are:1. Should selecting STANDBY nav on one CDU put the other CDU in standby nav also?No2. When in STANDBY NAV mode, the DIR INTC page allows entry of waypoints that are not in the flightplan. This should not be so, since the FMC is unavailable. Can this be corrected?I agree only waypoints that were in the system before the failure can be used, although new points can be entered as LAT/LONG.3. The manual states that with an FMC failed, the offside roll bar will be removed. I do not see this behavio(u)r. Is this an airline option?I don't know, The offside roll bar should remain.4. MIN PROF should not be displayed when a LOC approach is selected in the FMS, yet I notice that it is indeed displayed when I select LOC 08L KMIA.This is correct. If a NON PREC APP has been selected from the list MIN PROF can be entered.5. With the bleeds off (GE) and hydraulics unavailable (PW), I can still unlock the reversers and apply reverse thrust. Is there any chance that this will be corrected?PW4462: Thrust reversers are controlled by the levers, limited by FADEC and operated by hydraulic power. Pneumatic power is not used. Don't know about GE. 6. On the DIR INTC page, PMDG requires a leading slash be entered if using the INTC CRS, but the manual does not state that a leading slash is required.The slash is only required for a waypoint not listed in the flightplan.7. The manual state that if the TD is bypassed, a DECEL prompt should be displayed at 1R of the ACT-FPLN page to prevent getting too high if the descent is delayed. Are there any plans to model this function?DECEL will appear if the aircraft is beyond T/D and still at CRZ FL or whenever above descent path at an intermediate cleared FCP altitude. Pushing the LS key allows FMS to reduce target speed.Chris G

3. The manual states that with an FMC failed, the offside roll bar will be removed. I do not see this behavio(u)r. Is this an airline option?I don't know, The offside roll bar should remain.From the manual, regarding FMS failure:"FLT DIR

Wow! You are deep into esoterics...Maybe you should write directly to Honeywell/Sperry...?
I did, but they said to consult my flight technical department, which is PMDGJust%20Kidding.gif
It all adds to depth of the simulation... hey at least he's not complaining about wing views! :(
Don't even get me started on the wing views. And the flight crew heads are too big, and the Captain's nose is too small. The left nose gear tire has an extra groove. And the tailcone is missing 3 rivets. The left aileron is missing a static discharge wick...Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifJust kidding of course :(

However, an interim response to Paul is that the emphasis is on getting the bugs out that cause problems. Then, time and resources available, they will go for the finer details that pass muster with other pilots to make the product stand out.
Thanks Dan,Of course, I agree 110% that bigger issues come first. I would not expect any of these issues to be dealt with until things like the takeoff trim / CG have been sorted out. Those are much bigger issues. I only post in the hope that when the team gets around to ironing out the tiny issues, they'll be aware of these things, and be able to correct them.Of course there's another reason. When these posts come up, they sometimes get a little technical, and the RW guys can chip in and teach us quite a bit. That's half the fun!

5. With the bleeds off (GE) and hydraulics unavailable (PW), I can still unlock the reversers and apply reverse thrust. Is there any chance that this will be corrected?
Don't know if the MD11's CF6 bleed system is the same as the bleed system on other CF6-powered aircraft, but the engine bleed valve switch can be set to OFF and the reverser and anti-ice system will still operate (as long as there are no active overheats). For example, this override feature is available on B767-300's and B744's.Experts?Cheers.Q>

It all adds to depth of the simulation... hey at least he's not complaining about wing views! :( Rob
:( :( I could not agree more!!!It seems that some people even read the manual!! But is is these kinds of posts which make the sim even better!!My compliments!!Wijnand (EHBK)

Don't know if the MD11's CF6 bleed system is the same as the bleed system on other CF6-powered aircraft, but the engine bleed valve switch can be set to OFF and the reverser and anti-ice system will still operate (as long as there are no active overheats). For example, this override feature is available on B767-300's and B744's.Experts?Cheers.Q>
Have't seen you in ages Q. How've you been? :( I went and enabled all the failures in the AIR menu on the GE plane, and reversers functioned normally.

Wow! You are deep into esoterics...Maybe you should write directly to Honeywell/Sperry...?Chris G
Introduce INDEPENDANT operation?Harry