Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wags94

FSX Acceleration: Carrier Landing; need help.

Guest Wags94

I've been playing FSX for a long time now, I'm good, I don't crash when I fly. I decided to get the Acceleration expansion, and I really like it; especially the F/A-18A and carrier operations. I have been having issues with the carrier landings though. I do what the instructor says, I get a good approach and everything is good. But when I touch down on the carrier, I snag the 3 wire (everytime) but then the aircraft tips over and I crash and have to do the tutorial over again. What is going on? Everything is perfect: speed, altitude, rate of decent, and I even snag the 3rd wire (which if what I read is correct, the 3rd wire is a perfect landing).

Guest Wags94
Turn off crash detection in the settings.
Okay, but may I ask why? My aircraft tips over and the wings hit the ground, I would think that is a crash.

... when I touch down on the carrier, I snag the 3 wire (everytime) but then the aircraft tips over and I crash.
You are most likely too far left (or right) of the centerline, and are snagging the cable, but not the center of the cable. In real life, you'd crash in a similar way as the cable jerks you to one side or the other. Is one of your wings dipping into the deck? I bet it is. (Another way you can cause this is touching down one rear wheel before the other rear wheel).Stay on center, and avoid last second corrections ... if you are out of position right at the end, increase power to full military and go around. Don't attempt to force an approach that goes wrong right at the end, due to a wind gust or some other factor.Here are a couple of descent tutorial videos on mastering carrier landings.Here's one I put together. It's fairly basic:
Here's a better one that the FSX Blue Angels put together that is more comprehensive (AVSIM won't display this video, so this link will take you to a page that will):http://www.flightsimulatorxmissions.com/mo...page&pid=31I fly a LOT. This is one of the most challenging things you will do in the simulator. It requires constant practice to stay proficient ... just like in real life.Once you're convinced you're good, head on over to Snort's and sign up.LSO Out

Guest Wags94

How did you start the flight on the carrier?

Have a look at this thread over at Sim-Outhouse.Starting on a moving CVNLook down to post #13 by me and it will explain how to start on a moving CVN in FSX-Accellerationas well as how you can save a flight with your aircraft on deck.This requires carriers placed with the AI Boat Utility by Lamont Clark or one of theFSX default carriers that sail on a schedule. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

At the beginning of the video is a day, time and location. Set your Free Flight to these and take off. You should find two carriers nearby.