Sign in to follow this  
Guest yienmaster

A Few Question About FSX I've Never Found Answers to

Guest yienmaster

Just hoping someone here knows FSX a lot better than I do.1) Is there a way to "reset" the ATC window? I occasionally get a glitch that causes no responses to show up, even when an ATC controller is waiting for a response. Also, I have gotten stuck in situations occasionally that I cannot get out of (ie. requesting taxi to something, then changing your mind, and you cannot do anything until you taxi to your requested area, OR requesting take off - remain in pattern, and then you have no way of saying anything besides requesting directions to the airport, or checking the automated weather) I've tried changing the frequency manually, but it doesn't change your choices, other than to pointing you back to the frequency stuck in an infinite loop.2) Is there any way to learn the actual procedure to start the engines (especially jets). I have tried to figure it out myself, but occasionally the jet ignition doesn't "take" and they spin down again (not always though). The pre-flight checklist even just says use ctrl+e, but I want to run through things myself.3) Is there anyway to tell what gate is gate at an airport. I hate using progressive taxi, because it looks so cartoonish and totally ruins the immersion, and I have learned to navigate taxiways pretty well using the signs, but gates are a complete mystery.Sorry for the list, but I ran into all 3 of these problems while on a major sim outing today, and they have been bugging me for months. Thanks for your help, guys!

The atc winow can usually be fixed by changing frequencies and and back again. As for choices once you have made one not there is no way except to reset the flight and start again. As for engine startup procedures, it really depends on the model and how well its done. Most payware planes come with the startup procedures the default i dont belive do. There are some websites out there that may have the info you are looking for but you will have to do some searching. Generally with jets you need to fire up the APU then allow bleed air then start engines, then shut down apu, Props are easier. As for finding the gate you will have to download the correct airport chart then hope the airport file has the gates in the correct place, some are missing parking spots so itsgeneraly better just to follow the arrows. Would be nice if it was easier but there is even stll now people out there updating aiport files, its a huge job.

Just hoping someone here knows FSX a lot better than I do.1) Is there a way to "reset" the ATC window? I occasionally get a glitch that causes no responses to show up, even when an ATC controller is waiting for a response. Also, I have gotten stuck in situations occasionally that I cannot get out of (ie. requesting taxi to something, then changing your mind, and you cannot do anything until you taxi to your requested area, OR requesting take off - remain in pattern, and then you have no way of saying anything besides requesting directions to the airport, or checking the automated weather) I've tried changing the frequency manually, but it doesn't change your choices, other than to pointing you back to the frequency stuck in an infinite loop.
If you are flyinging an IFR flight plan, you might try reloading that flight plan (but don't move to the departure point). Hopefully that might reset the ATC conversation for you. That might not work to well if already on final approach.

Just hoping someone here knows FSX a lot better than I do.1) Is there a way to "reset" the ATC window? I occasionally get a glitch that causes no responses to show up, even when an ATC controller is waiting for a response. Also, I have gotten stuck in situations occasionally that I cannot get out of (ie. requesting taxi to something, then changing your mind, and you cannot do anything until you taxi to your requested area, OR requesting take off - remain in pattern, and then you have no way of saying anything besides requesting directions to the airport, or checking the automated weather) I've tried changing the frequency manually, but it doesn't change your choices, other than to pointing you back to the frequency stuck in an infinite loop.2) Is there any way to learn the actual procedure to start the engines (especially jets). I have tried to figure it out myself, but occasionally the jet ignition doesn't "take" and they spin down again (not always though). The pre-flight checklist even just says use ctrl+e, but I want to run through things myself.3) Is there anyway to tell what gate is gate at an airport. I hate using progressive taxi, because it looks so cartoonish and totally ruins the immersion, and I have learned to navigate taxiways pretty well using the signs, but gates are a complete mystery.Sorry for the list, but I ran into all 3 of these problems while on a major sim outing today, and they have been bugging me for months. Thanks for your help, guys!
1- This bugged me to no end till someone suggested I try Radar contact http://www.jdtllc.com/ I have never looked back! 2- Depends on what your flying, if your using quality add-ons or default etc... Many good payware add-ons come with checklists.3. If you got good AFCADS you should be able to use airport diagrams to navigate to gates for the US you can look here for maps http://www.airnav.com/airports/

With respect to starting jet engines. I have limited experience with the Heavy Iron but I fly small jets in flight sim all the time. I have my mixture control on a wheel on my TM HOTAS outfit. I noticed that the turbines will not fire up unless I have set my mixture control to a fully rich setting. When I want to turn off the turbines I merely lean the mixture out fully. Now I know that this is a bit cock-eyed but it is true. So I suggest that you try setting "mixture" to fully rich before attempting to start any turbine. I have also noticed that there can be an interaction between aircraft with prop control and aircraft that have computerised prop control such as the PC12. I spent five days (in FS9) trying to work out why I wasn't getting full speed in a PC12. It turned out that the last prop plane I had flown prior to the PC12 was IC engined. I had left the prop pitch at about two thirds fine when I saved that flight. This somehow carried through to the turbine PC12 and caused the top end to drop off. As there is no prop pitch control in the PC12 I couldn't change it. So it was back to creating a new PC12 flight from the Sim's default flight. I hope this helps.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

As to the 'hung' ATC...you might try this experiment - save the flight. Exit the flight. Delete the ATC chatter/communications from the saved flight. Reload the 'cleaned up' flight; without any record of the previous communication, you may get a chance to choose differently. I would certainly expect it anyway.Gates...Seems like I recall some utilities (add-on gauges?) that would display the airport, taxiways, and parking data from FSX data. If I'm not imagining it, this should give you the info you're looking for. Reminds me of what FSNav could do in FS9.Loyd

Guest yienmaster

Thanks guys. You've helped me out a lot. I'll do some searching for some kind of checklist for jet engine starting. I mostly use the default jets. My add-on planes are mostly small prop planes. Using airport charts probably won't help me too much with the gates, because I am constantly trying new airports, landing on a whim, and generally doing spur of the moment flights (for example, last night I ran out of fuel *oops* and made a decent emergency landing about 20 miles short of O'Hare, my target, at some smallish airport, and then decided to skip O'Hare and taxi right to a gate there to prepare for my next leg.) I'll just use the progressive taxi once I'm in the general area of the gates.As far as the ATC goes, the only solution I've found is saving and resetting the flight. That way I start right where I left off, but the ATC is fixed. The problem with that is it only fixes the "missing response" issue, not the infinite loop issue, and reloading can take a good 5 mintues since I've installed UTX and GEX. I suppose I'll get a drink while I wait or something. I can't really afford Radar Contact, although it does intrigue me. My FSX spending needs to cool down for a while after getting those two add-ons.By the way, can anyone recommend a good add-on amphibian prop plane? (should I make a new topic for this?) I have found many free and payware Otters, Beavers, and the like, but I find most of them to completely crush my framerate and/or look "cartoonish" as if they are not using normal maps and shaders on the model. I fly almost exclusively using VC, so I am an apologetic VC snob, but I really need a convincing, useable, readable VC. Just a thought, if anyone knows a great one off the top of their head. I'll start a dedicated topic, though.Thanks again for you're help guys. I'll let you know what my searching yields for start-up checklists for jets.

Aerosoft twin otter and Beaver, Both really good, only have VC, GPS hs no pop up so need to mod config but thats a minor issue.