Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLEX1978

747 3 Engine ferry flight

Bit of a random question but I've been reading about a Emirates A380 stuck at Heathrow waiting for a new engine. Apparently the Atlas 744F that was supposed to bring the replacement has been cancelled so they are going to do a 3 engine ferry back to Dubai.I was wondering if anyone has tried a 3 engine ferry on the PMDG 747 and if there is any performance data on this? Tried asking my father but his airline is not authorized.Rob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

British Airways did it with a plane full of passengers from KLAX-EGLL not too long ago, I think they underestimated their fuel tho-

I've seen a Qantas B747-400 on a revenue flight (i.e. carrying paying passengers) that had an EXTRA engine on a pylon under a wing, meaning it actually flew with FIVE engines, not FOUR. Only the usual four engines were running, though - the fifth was disabled and steps taken to prevent the blades from turning during the flight. I've been trying to find the picture of it on airliners.net without luck so far...

British Airways did it with a plane full of passengers from KLAX-EGLL not too long ago, I think they underestimated their fuel tho-
BA did a normal takeoff and lost an engine. I think the OP was asking about a flight where the 4th engine was never operating. Some airlines allow this. That's how BA got their 747 from wherever it diverted to.

BA did a normal takeoff and lost an engine. I think the OP was asking about a flight where the 4th engine was never operating. Some airlines allow this. That's how BA got their 747 from wherever it diverted to.

Bit of a random question but I've been reading about a Emirates A380 stuck at Heathrow waiting for a new engine. Apparently the Atlas 744F that was supposed to bring the replacement has been cancelled so they are going to do a 3 engine ferry back to Dubai.I was wondering if anyone has tried a 3 engine ferry on the PMDG 747 and if there is any performance data on this? Tried asking my father but his airline is not authorized.Rob
give your details and ill be back with some infos on it but need to dig into the manuals ... but this is well documented in performance manual ..phil
the FAA didnt allow this ops and fined a lot BAW and it happened a lot ...!!! at least KLAX EGLL twice ...!!!

Hey Phil,I use a real world 744F FCTM for reference however there is plenty of information on the cruise portion but nothing about the initial T/O on 3 engines. I assume it's an empty aircraft and definitely no derates but I can't seem to find any hard figures.CheersRob

Hey Phil,I use a real world 744F FCTM for reference however there is plenty of information on the cruise portion but nothing about the initial T/O on 3 engines. I assume it's an empty aircraft and definitely no derates but I can't seem to find any hard figures.CheersRob
you should check into ferry flight if there is any datas but i m thinking that the datas are only into the flightplanning manual and the company's FHB if any allow the 3 engines ferry ... from Freighter operators and operations i ve seen there is mini load and fuel as the take off can be the worst if an engine fail plus of course learning to drive a 3 engines ... on the runway ... i ve done that in a classic sim years ago and definitly not easy to handle at least for me lol ...!!!phil