Sign in to follow this  
Mzee

MD-11 and no slope indicator: what to do

Maybe I somehow missed it in the documentation but is there any good advice on how to fly the MD-11 on a visual approach without having any slope indicator (VASI/PAPI) for the correct glideslope? I have little problems to land manually if I have a slope indicator - but there are some rather big airports without it. Anything I

I think it is harder in the sim than real world because it's a 2D display. The secret is where you start the final descent, and you can use the FMS to help you here. A standard 3 deg glide slope works out to 318 ft/nm so if you use the FMS to put you a final fix 3 nm before the airport at 1,000 ft above ground level then you have a good reference point to start from. Be all set in landing configuration at Vapp at the appropriate altitude crossing your fix and just maintain an 800-1000 fpm descent to the runway.Visually, the thing to look for is the approach end of the runway shouldn't move, by which I mean look at it's location on your 2D screen, if it appears to move lower you are too high and move higher you are too low. Aim for the threshold and by the time you flare and touchdown you should be a couple of thousand feet down the runway. During the flare, look at the other end of the runway and use it to help you with the last 50 ft of descent. Try with no weather until you think you've got it then add some crosswind to make it interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP