Sign in to follow this  
marcom

Engine Failure & THR Limits

Hi!After setting an engine failure to occur after Vr, engine #1 failed accordingly and I was climbing at V2 with my THR Limit in TO mode. Approaching 1500ft AGL, the engines spooled back to CLB THR Limit and I quickly opened the MCDU where I could confirm E/O. This action however didn't change the THR Limit so I selected the LIMITS page and tried to line select MCT but it didn't work - THR LIMIT remained in CLB mode. I could not select any other mode either - CLB was "latched": As I was at MTOW and wasn't accelerating in level flight, I disengaged ATHR and tried to firewall my thrust levers but they returned to CLB THR! The only solution I found was to select the ALTN FADEC mode. Is the real MD11 really this dangerous? :( Cheers,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Guest cfgarrod

No it's not dangerous, to get optimum use of the FMS engine-out logic:Assuming NAV ARMED on ground and PROF engaged in TKOF mode and EOSID available and A/C before diversion point (where the EOSID leaves the normal SID)Engine failure is detected by N1 difference.The FPLN page with EOSID is displayed.If you confirm EOSID the aircraft follows it.Thrust remains at T/O THRUST.Automatic acceleration to V3 at EO ACCEL altitude.Altitude and speed targets will change to FCP altitude and ENG OUT CLB Thrust limit will only change to MCT LIM if:AUTO THRUST LIMIT prevoiusly selectedConfiguration cleanSpeed >V3A/C is above ACCEL ALTOut of TAKEOFF modeChris G

Hi Chris,well, interestingly, THR LIMIT reduced to CLB Thrust at 1500ft AGL without me doing anything (besides flying wings level @ V2). NAV and PROF were armed on the ground, SID was loaded out of EDDF.Also, as I wrote, I could not select any other thrust limit through the MCDU. (when I LSK'd a different limit, the engine display briefly showed the new target but immediately reverted back to CLB)Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Guest krullenbol
Bump!Thanks!Mark
Your scenarioEngine failure at Vr- Gear up- Set E/O at 400ft- Set runway track/or fly non standard E/O-procedure- Set autoflight (loose engine 1 use AP1, otherwise use 2)Perform memory items if applicableat E/O acc altitude you will get HOLD (if PROF is active, or otherwise pull speed to set Vcl)Retract the Flaps and slats. When slats are retracted, MCT limit will become active. (if NOT, pull altitude)As said before, to get MCT thrust you need to be clean, fly VSR and above E/O acceleration alt.Regards Floris

Hi Floris,I'm aware of that, thanks :( The problem with the PMDG MD11: The engines spooled back to CLB THR! And there was no way I could override CLB THR thru the MCDU.That doesn't happen on the real plane now does it :( RegardsMark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Guest krullenbol
Hi Floris,I'm aware of that, thanks :( The problem with the PMDG MD11: The engines spooled back to CLB THR! And there was no way I could override CLB THR thru the MCDU.That doesn't happen on the real plane now does it :( RegardsMark
Just follow the procedures and you're OK. Don't wait with pressing Confirm E/O.Small correction to my previous post, MCT when above ALL engine ACC, not E/O ACC.

Floris,you are not understanding me :( I know you are a real MD11 driver, but I'm telling you, there IS a problem here :( Assume this:Everything's a-ok, you have just lifted off and you are happily climbing away at V2 holding your yoke and you have just ordered gear up. Now, an engine fails. So you lower the nose a bit, apply a bit of rudder and you are scanning the PFD. Nothing more - no buttons, no switches. Now, at 1500ft AGL, WITHOUT doing anything, the engines spool down to CLB THR (as if all engines were operating). And you can't tell the MCDU to switch to MCT THR.Roger? :( Regards,Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Just thought I'd bump it back up as I'm not sure it has been registered yet.Give me a "we'll look into it", or "its not gonna be fixed" :( and I'll let it go but just want to make sure the devs have the chance.Thanks!Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Just thought I'd bump it back up as I'm not sure it has been registered yet.Give me a "we'll look into it", or "its not gonna be fixed" :( and I'll let it go but just want to make sure the devs have the chanceMark
Hi Mark, i am tracking this topic too. Right now i cannot "refly" it to confirm (i will be back after 1 week only), if i have the same problem- probably it will be the same way as u mentioned, since u know, what you are talking about (my impression of your postings!).You should be able to change thrust limits ( from CLB to MCT) during clb phase- is it working with all engs operating??RGDS TOM