Sign in to follow this  
Guest davefett

ImagineSim KIAD

Guest davefett

Anyone else out there getting horrible framerates with the FSX ImagineSim KIAD scenery? First off, I'm using FSX SP2+Accel on a 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo with 4gb ram and a single NVidia 8600GTS (latest and greatest NForce Drivers installed) running on Vista32. I've got UTX, GEX, and FEX installed. The other night doing the preflight on the PMDG MD-11 I was seeing framerates below 3fps, and FS became so slow that I couldn't set the elevator trim... I switched to some of my other sceneries, ImagineSim KATL and KLGA, FSDreamteam KORD and Aerosoft EGLL and saw my framerates jump back into the mid 20's. I did notice that when I tried a daylight flight, the framerate hit wasn't nearly as bad, at least until I was holding short of rwy 30, and the thing I noticed there that was different there was it was the first time I had lights (the VASI array I believe) in my field of view. Something in the lights maybe causing the problem?Any ideas, anyone?

Guest firehawk44
Anyone else out there getting horrible framerates with the FSX ImagineSim KIAD scenery? First off, I'm using FSX SP2+Accel on a 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo with 4gb ram and a single NVidia 8600GTS (latest and greatest NForce Drivers installed) running on Vista32. I've got UTX, GEX, and FEX installed. The other night doing the preflight on the PMDG MD-11 I was seeing framerates below 3fps, and FS became so slow that I couldn't set the elevator trim... I switched to some of my other sceneries, ImagineSim KATL and KLGA, FSDreamteam KORD and Aerosoft EGLL and saw my framerates jump back into the mid 20's. I did notice that when I tried a daylight flight, the framerate hit wasn't nearly as bad, at least until I was holding short of rwy 30, and the thing I noticed there that was different there was it was the first time I had lights (the VASI array I believe) in my field of view. Something in the lights maybe causing the problem?Any ideas, anyone?
Their manual has a lot of good suggestions on "tweaking" the FSG.cfg for better performance. I too have lower framerates but not in the one digit arena. I suspect the PMDG aircraft has affected your FPS and you might compare it with a default aircraft. Besides the recommendations made in the manual, I have lowered the water setting to 2x.Low. That will drastically increase your FPS w/o compromising most of the ground scenery. However, flying near or over the oceans and bays, the water will not look very good. They will not look good landing on the water either but you can set up another config that you can call up if and when you desire to fly over large bodies of water or land on it. You should experiment. I am really enjoying the scenery but wish the airport passenger transports could somehow come to your aircraft when you hit ctrl-J much like the function for calling for jetways. There may be elements of the scenery which are affecting the framerates but I think it would be difficult to find. Best regards,Jim

Guest davefett

Jim, I did follow the recommendations in the readme, including removing the vehicle traffic, turning off autogen and removing all shadows, with nary a change. I also tried the default Cessna 172, but no joy, still hovering around 2-4 fps. Once I get out of the general area, the frames jump right back into the high 20's/low 30's, with the MD-11, default Cessna, or any of the other 3-4 aircraft I've tried. And this includes going to other 'complex areas', for example, sitting in the middle of ramp 5 in the ImagineSim KATL in the MD-11, I'm seeing high teens/low 20's, and that's with autogen, shadows and vehicle traffic on...I did find this: Link. Maybe a Acceleration Pack problem?-Dave

Their manual has a lot of good suggestions on "tweaking" the FSG.cfg for better performance. I too have lower framerates but not in the one digit arena. I suspect the PMDG aircraft has affected your FPS and you might compare it with a default aircraft. Besides the recommendations made in the manual, I have lowered the water setting to 2x.Low. That will drastically increase your FPS w/o compromising most of the ground scenery. However, flying near or over the oceans and bays, the water will not look very good. They will not look good landing on the water either but you can set up another config that you can call up if and when you desire to fly over large bodies of water or land on it. You should experiment. I am really enjoying the scenery but wish the airport passenger transports could somehow come to your aircraft when you hit ctrl-J much like the function for calling for jetways. There may be elements of the scenery which are affecting the framerates but I think it would be difficult to find. Best regards,Jim

Jim, I did follow the recommendations in the readme, including removing the vehicle traffic, turning off autogen and removing all shadows, with nary a change. I also tried the default Cessna 172, but no joy, still hovering around 2-4 fps. Once I get out of the general area, the frames jump right back into the high 20's/low 30's, with the MD-11, default Cessna, or any of the other 3-4 aircraft I've tried. And this includes going to other 'complex areas', for example, sitting in the middle of ramp 5 in the ImagineSim KATL in the MD-11, I'm seeing high teens/low 20's, and that's with autogen, shadows and vehicle traffic on...I did find this: Link. Maybe a Acceleration Pack problem?-Dave
Yep, sounds like the same light issue I reported on some of their other sceneries that only seems to cause problems with Acceleration. I have all of thier scenery, and it only appears at KCLT, MYNN, KLGA and I guess now KIAD. Check LGA at night and you will probably see the same thing. Look at the runway and you will see giant blobs of light. Stand alone SP2 does not have the same issue. If there is a file called runways.bgl in the scenery directory, try renaming it and see if the frames return. Unfortunately, all runway lights will be gone, so it will be unusable in IFR and night conditions. As I mentioned in the thread you linked above, Aerosoft had similar issues with EDDF, and LEMD, and were able to release fixes. It was a light issue there as well. I am surprised more people aren't seeing this problem. I did contact Imaginesim about 6 months back and they said they would look into it, but no word since.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Guest firehawk44

Dave,Just to let you know I was wrong in my earlier comments. My frames are pretty good during the day and they are around 5 fps at night. Sorry for confusing the matter even more. I agree with you that it must be the lights. I personally can't see how it can be attributed to the Acceleration pack though. As has been explained in the link you provided, the problem was rapidly fixed by the developers of other commercial airport scenery. If it is the Acceleration pack though we won't see a fix soon, if ever.Jim

Hi again. I reported the problem to Imaginesim again, and linked back to this forum post so they can see that other people are having issues. I also pointed them to the Aerosoft forum discussion I participated in that led them to find that this is a lights problem and it only appears when running acceleration http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?sh...rt+acceleration if interested in the troubleshooting. It only took them a couple of days to release a patch that worked with Acceleration, so a fix to Acceleration is not necessary.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Guest firehawk44
Hi again. I reported the problem to Imaginesim again, and linked back to this forum post so they can see that other people are having issues. I also pointed them to the Aerosoft forum discussion I participated in that led them to find that this is a lights problem and it only appears when running acceleration http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?sh...rt+acceleration if interested in the troubleshooting. It only took them a couple of days to release a patch that worked with Acceleration, so a fix to Acceleration is not necessary.
Thanks Kyle. I hope your efforts work but I have my doubts as I have been doing some research and, for one, found this interesting link from last year regarding SP2 compatibility: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=66562. Even Phil Taylor from Aces got involved. I reinstalled the Shockwave lights last night and ran KIAD again at night and it did not improve things. I understand Shockwave replaces the halo.bmp. I seem to be getting worse frame rates at night as I chopper over the airport vs remaining on the runway. That's probably because of more scenery objects on the airport. I read somewhere that this product was beta tested so this night lighting problem should have been seen before the product was released or our config settings are wrong. I doubt they would have released a product with FPS in the single digits at night. I think the scenery looks great during the day though!Jim

Thanks Kyle. I hope your efforts work but I have my doubts as I have been doing some research and, for one, found this interesting link from last year regarding SP2 compatibility: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=66562. Even Phil Taylor from Aces got involved. I reinstalled the Shockwave lights last night and ran KIAD again at night and it did not improve things. I understand Shockwave replaces the halo.bmp. I seem to be getting worse frame rates at night as I chopper over the airport vs remaining on the runway. That's probably because of more scenery objects on the airport. I read somewhere that this product was beta tested so this night lighting problem should have been seen before the product was released or our config settings are wrong. I doubt they would have released a product with FPS in the single digits at night. I think the scenery looks great during the day though!Jim
I got a response back from Imaginesim, and they admit there is a problem, but have not found a work around for it. They said check the forums for a configuration fix. For me the fix was to uninstall Acceleration and go with stand-alone SP2. This works. Over at Aerosoft someone else did the same and had the same results with EDDF, so Aerosoft developers were able to use that info to find a fix that works with Acceleration as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on a test sytem 4 times to make sure I was not imagining things, and once Acceleration is installed-the frames drop. I installed clean and tested with the C172 and no other addons. Clean SP2 install no problems whatsoever. Over at Aerosoft they were initially thinking shockwave lights as well, but once users not using shockwave (myself included) reported the same issue, they realized something was different with the custom lights they used for the runways. Maybe if we are lucky, the devleopers from Imaginesim and Aerosoft will talk and share this information. For now, I am satisfied to use just SP2 as Acceleration also causes a problem with the LevelD 767 where the engines spool up twice on startup and erase the FMC information. Again, no issue under SP2 with the same aircraft.

Kyle

I got a response back from Imaginesim, and they admit there is a problem, but have not found a work around for it. They said check the forums for a configuration fix. For me the fix was to uninstall Acceleration and go with stand-alone SP2. This works. Over at Aerosoft someone else did the same and had the same results with EDDF, so Aerosoft developers were able to use that info to find a fix that works with Acceleration as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on a test sytem 4 times to make sure I was not imagining things, and once Acceleration is installed-the frames drop. I installed clean and tested with the C172 and no other addons. Clean SP2 install no problems whatsoever. Over at Aerosoft they were initially thinking shockwave lights as well, but once users not using shockwave (myself included) reported the same issue, they realized something was different with the custom lights they used for the runways. Maybe if we are lucky, the devleopers from Imaginesim and Aerosoft will talk and share this information. For now, I am satisfied to use just SP2 as Acceleration also causes a problem with the LevelD 767 where the engines spool up twice on startup and erase the FMC information. Again, no issue under SP2 with the same aircraft.
As someone who has never reverted from Accel to SP2, what is the protocol method? Could I simply perform an uninstall followed by install of SP1, SP2? Obviously my concern is that this would somehow screw up ASA, UTX, FEX, GEX, FSGen, PMDG etc.

Ryan Kelly

Guest firehawk44
As someone who has never reverted from Accel to SP2, what is the protocol method? Could I simply perform an uninstall followed by install of SP1, SP2? Obviously my concern is that this would somehow screw up ASA, UTX, FEX, GEX, FSGen, PMDG etc.
Personally I'm going to keep my Acceleration config. The scenery performs well during daylight so I'll just have to arrive/depart during daylight hours. If you want to uninstall Accel though, simply goto add/remove and uninstall it, then install SP2. I have no idea what will happen if you do this with all the other addons you have (I have most of the same). I think if an addon requires Acceleration the developer meant SP2 or Acceleration. I have always thought there was no difference between SP2 and Acceleraton other than the addons in Acceleration but it makes sense Microsoft added some codes to prevent someone copying the addons in Accel and placing them in a free SP2 installation. The extra coding is probably in the FSX.exe as this was modified in SP2 from the original version.Jim

When I backed out, I went to the add/remove programs control panel and uninstalled Acceleration. This brought me back to RTM FSX. I then installed SP1, followed by SP2. I started FSX at each step to let it build its scenery indexes. After SP2 was installed, I reran the UTX, FEX and GEX setup tools to ensure they got installed correctly--there is a non-acceleration patch for UTX-USA (5th post in this forum discussion: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23111) that you will need to run as well. Started FSX and checked to make sure all was ok--it was. Then I activated FEX and checked a few areas in Aus to make sure all was OK--no problems there. I also have PMDG, ASX and they were fine as well.
Personally I'm going to keep my Acceleration config. The scenery performs well during daylight so I'll just have to arrive/depart during daylight hours.
You need to watch weather as well because if the conditions are IFR, the runway lights will come on and this will tank frames also.

Kyle

When I backed out, I went to the add/remove programs control panel and uninstalled Acceleration. This brought me back to RTM FSX. I then installed SP1, followed by SP2. I started FSX at each step to let it build its scenery indexes. After SP2 was installed, I reran the UTX, FEX and GEX setup tools to ensure they got installed correctly--there is a non-acceleration patch for UTX-USA (5th post in this forum discussion: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23111) that you will need to run as well. Started FSX and checked to make sure all was ok--it was. Then I activated FEX and checked a few areas in Aus to make sure all was OK--no problems there. I also have PMDG, ASX and they were fine as well. You need to watch weather as well because if the conditions are IFR, the runway lights will come on and this will tank frames also.
Thanks. I use Imagine Sim KIAD and Acceleration carrier ops about equally in FSX. So I will need to think this through to see if 86'ing Accel is tolerable.

Ryan Kelly

Guest j0nx

Ever any fix for this? I bought this lastnight and am getting TERRIBLE frame rates with it. I am on a super fast core I7 machine as well and I am below 10fps even with all AI aircraft disabled. It is most definitely a problem with the scenery itself. I have emailed imaginesim and am waiting for a reply from them. It is unusable for me though like this, day or night. I even disabled the static aircraft and the trees and it made no difference. I turned off aircraft shadows as well because I was getting mystery jumbo jet shadows all over the runways for some reason. There is also a ton of flickering on this airport when there is none anywhere else. It looks great though but is simply not usable for me with this frame rate. I'm hoping they can help me or refund me.

I contacted Imaginesim in early June about this and received a response stating they have no plans for any separate Acceleration patches since SP2 and Acceleration have identical engines. This is not true since I had a similar issue with another scenery (Malta Scenery Design's Malta International Airport) and the developers quickly released an Acceleration update that resolved the frame rate issues. Maybe Imaginesim needs to contact them to find out what the difference is so they can resolve it....