Sign in to follow this  
modelr

Cannot download more than five files

HI, hope I can at least get an answer as to why...It seems that for the last two-three months, I can't download more than five files, before getting the "server can't be found" error notice on the download file search window. The first five files download with no problem. I rarely download more than two at a time, so I'm not overloading my "nodes" count.Then, to be able to download any more, I must close my browser (to avsim)for ten minutes or more then return. I am then allowed to download five more. This gets to be a real headache when there are a large number of files in the new files list that I want.I paid into the server donation fund, more than I pay for increased download access on the two other primary sites, because I want to keep this site going, also. If the problem is just traffic, (which I thought the new server was supposed to be able to handle,) then I think it's time to update the connection, or start a paid assured access section.Don H

Don

Don,The problem in which you're having does not sound like any I have heard of before. This is very bizarre and I could not even begin to imagine why it's happening. As to the server, it's all set up and ready to go, we are just working on the large coding portion now to get the library compatible with the new parameters.What browser do you use?

Chase, Thanks for answering.I use IE7, latest updates. I never had any problems till the first time your server was hit a few months ago. It's weird, I know. Only happens here at Avsim. Last evening, I kept a close count, when downloading all the textures for the ai YAK52 by Mike Cronin, and the scenery items for the RAF runway12 items. There were, I think, 12 items in all that I was after. I downloaded 5, got the error page, refreshed it (back arrow) for about three minutes, got two more before the error page. Back arrowed for almost five minutes, no joy. Closed the browser, went to another site, downloaded all the items I wanted there, 14, then came back here, and was able to download 5 items. By then 2 more had come on the new items list I wanted, tried to download, only got the error page. Closed out for about ten minutes, came back and downloaded. At first I just attributed it to traffic, but I've tried it at all times of the day. Same thing.I thought the new server was up and running, that's why I was complaining, more than anything. If it's still waiting to go online, I'll just sit back and be patient, as I do know computers a little, (just enough to get myself in trouble, LOL)so...Again, thanks Don H

Don

Guest jbinner

One key part I think I am still confused about on this thread; are ALL FIVE downloading at the same time, or is one or more finished before you try another one?WE DO have a 5-file limit AT THE SAME TIME per connection. That is, if ALL 5 are downloading concurrently, then it won't allow you to download #6 until one of the first 5 finishes.This is to avoid problems we had with users in the past "leaching" files and downloading DOZENS at the same time. This is a setting that will not be changing.

No,no,no. I download one or two at a time, to keep speed up. Especially when doing large files. I understand and agree with those rules. Not a problem. I also know about Download Managers, as I used to use one when I was on dialup, before DSL came to my area. This acts like it is counting my total downloads in order, completed or not. It does not matter if they are large or small in size. It may just be traffic, but it always seems to give me five downloads, then cuts me off for a couple minutes. It's just weird.Don H

Don

Guest jbinner

ok, understood. As others have replied, I personally visited the NOC and made an on-site visit a couple of weeks ago. The hardware is in place and working; right now we are working on the coding to move the files to the new hardware. Think of it as a "burn-in" period for the hardware if you will.I am also in discussions with the Board of Directors and Senior AVSIM staff about bandwidth. I cannot make any promises but we shall see. I apologize for any inconvenience you may be seeing in only allowing 5 downloads then needing to reload. It will be another item to add to my growing list.Thank you,

>WE DO have a 5-file limit AT THE SAME TIME per connection.It appears to be a 3-file limit, because requesting a 4th file to be downloaded I get a pop-up "530 You may only perform three concurrent downloads at a time"Anyway, not a problem.Peter

Thank you for the reply, John.I'll just chalk it up to coincedence and traffic, then, for now. Increased bandwidth would definitely help, since the sudden growth in the hobby has greatly increased traffic, I'm sure. If the board does decide to go with a premium access system, I will surely be quick to sign up. In the early days, it was hard to agree with the system, but since the fees are used to pay for that bandwidth only, and it is increasingly expensive, I no longer agree with my own disagreements, from long ago. The service you provide is worth it. As I said earlier, I have already donated.Thanks again.Don H

Don