Sign in to follow this  
aua668

ASA startup block computer for one minute

Hi,I am running ASA (latest BETA) on a Windows XP laptop, which is about 5 years old - and so it's not the newest model. On this notebook, which is connected to the flightsim PC via WideFS I ran also ASv6 in the past (and at least until the several issues are finally fixed I will use ASv6 at the moment instead of ASA). When I start ASA, the laptop is TOTALLY blocked for about 60 seconds. The starting screen is visible but I am even unable to open the task manager. After that period (it's when the progress bar starts to grow) everything runs smooth and I again can handle other programs in parallel.Also later on during program execution this phenomenon never appears again. It's just immediately after the program start. If I monitor this with the open task manager, I see, that the CPU is at 100% for the ASA process (like running in an loop) providing no CPU resources to other processes.Perhaps you can check the routines of startup and change them to a behaviour, which is more "friendly" to other programs running on the system.ASA ist the only product showing this behaviour. I normally run on this laptop during my flights: ASv6 (or ASA), FSInn, ChartViewer, FSFlightKeeper, FSRealTime. And all these programs can work together. But only during the startup phase of ASA none of these programs is even accessible.Is there anyone, who had seen a similar behaviour? Could you please check resource usage during startup?RgdsReinhard

Hi,We need that processing to get things loaded and ready to go. Much goes on in that first minute or so, so I am not sure if we can do anything about this. Some of this may be due to the processing power of your laptop. I know it works well once things are loaded, but the lack of processing power may be coming into play also. Even my AMD 1700 is slow while ASA starts up.Thanks,

Jim,Thanks for the quick response. As you said it: later on when the system is running this makes no problem. But at the startup it blocks the CPU totally. It's not slow. Thats different to other (big) applications I am running on this old system. I can start Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc. all of them in parallel and of course during startup all of those applications take 100% of CPU. But if I use other applications in parallel they give gracefully some slices of the processor time to the other applications. So it is at least possible that you maximize/minimize windows or do some minor things in parallel to the startup process.ASv6 is much more graceful and there I don't see this complete locking as with ASA. It's even so bad, that it is not possible to get the right context menu in the taskbar to activate the task manager.So as I have some programming experience from the past I assume, that the programming framework for the startup process didn't consider to give some short processor slices to other applications. I would make a code inspection for this startup. Even if the period didn't last so long on a stronger system you will see the effect of the bad programming behaviour also on those systems.You have these switches for throtteling down the CPU consumption in the application and you should include this mechanism also for the startup phase. If the CPU power is available you always will get 100% and it makes no difference. But the application stays reactive under all circumstances and that's the sign of a good multi-tasking programming behaviour.RgdsReinhard