Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alias

Vectors during IAP procedure

Guest Alias

HI,this evening I requested a full IAP approach to LFPG and it was OK. The procedure involves a situation where, at a certain point, I have to be vectored to final turn (see page 97 of the manual). How do I manage this? I have tried to request vectors but the controller sent me the to the opposite direction and told me to climb FL50. :( Great lost of time for my pax :( Thanks

I sometimes insert a suitable waypoint if the procedure in the FMC calls for vectors.Going into EGCC Runway 23R on the Dayne STAR for example,there is a "vectors"line.You can insert waypoint "EASTG" and this will then effectively bring you onto finals.It bridges the gap.In the real world,major airports like LFPG etc usually vector traffic at some point in the STAR up to establishing on the ILS hence the vectors line in the FMC.Basically if you requested an IAP approach with RC4 you are on you own.The contoller doesn't want to know you.If you then later ask for vectors he will try to get you back to a place and altitude where he can start his vectors.Some procedures will of course call for a VOR,NDB,RNAV type approach without a "vectors" line and your FMC may well take you right through this up to lining you up with the runway.If there are some for Paris in your FMC it may be a good idea to look at them to see how they are constructed.Basically some procedures are just not meant to take you all the way down.They control the inbound flow routes and at certain point the controllers take over.

HI,this evening I requested a full IAP approach to LFPG and it was OK. The procedure involves a situation where, at a certain point, I have to be vectored to final turn (see page 97 of the manual). How do I manage this? I have tried to request vectors but the controller sent me the to the opposite direction and told me to climb FL50. :( Great lost of time for my pax :( Thanks
if you request an iap approach, you are on your own. there will be no further rc vectors, and you will be told to contact tower 7 miles outjd

AliasAnother way round this is to remove the vectors line from the FMC which will then link the waypoints before and after it,but it will probably bring you in too tight for a successful approach.Alternatively,put the autopilot into HDG mode after the waypoint before the vectors line.Fly a suitable heading until you can call up the next waypoint after the vectors line which is often the Centrefix.Watch your altitude restrictions and that you remain in the aerodrome zone.RC4 will not shout at you for doing this.As I said this is not realistic and vectored approaches are the way of the real world into airports like Paris.In fact nowadays many short haul flights in Europe are often almost entirley conducted by way of vectors from SID to STAR.I flew East Midlands to Copenhagen recently(Sterlng Airways,sadly now defunct!)The captain told me afterwards that they had been given headings for most of the route.

Guest Alias

Thanks for the tips. My problem is not "how to find the route", the FMC depicts a clear image of the final segment and shows me where the runway is, therefore I can easily find my way through the STAR. I wanted only to know if there was a way to make RC understand that I needed vectors before final turn. My question come from what the manual at page 97 says:" It is important to note that not all STARs integrate perfectly with an instrument approach procedure to a runway. Many will guide you to a point along the arrival where it will advise to expect radar vectors to the final approach course. An example of this may be seen on the LENDY arrival into the New York metro area. Once you pass the named NAVAID or fix, the approach controller will be responsible for providing radar vectors to ensure that you are in good position to make the approach to the active or requested runway. In the real world, depending on traffic flow, approach control may vector you off the published arrival prior to crossing all of the published fixes. THIS WOULD NOT BE AN UNUSUAL SITUATION.Radar Contact will handle your arrivals quite realistically, and during times of peak demand you may start getting

LorenzoIt is a while since I read the instructions so forgive me if I was stating the obvious.It would seem that if you tell RC4 that you want an IAP approach he will leave you alone until on finals.However if your chosen STAR has a "vectors" line in it,then RC4 does not step in at that point and continue the approach.

I assume you are including the STAR with the same waypoints as your FMC in your flight plan. Make sure your last waypoint is about 40 nm out and don't request an IAP. RC will start vectoring you on or before that last waypoint.