Just taken a daylight flight today, my first with ASA Build 355 and I hate to say it but I wasn't too impressed. This is on FS9.I had clouds going dark and light, suddenly appearing and disappearing and the cockpit of my PMDG 737NG flickering repeatedly. On a couple of occasions the instrument panel went completely black.I have FSUIPC 3.85, in ASA I have set DWC, visibility smoothing, only two cloud layers. Still it seems to be a resource hog and compared to ASv6.5 it seems to cause a good deal of stuttering.The depicted weather looked good while it was there but the clouds were flicking and changing so much that it was unrealistic.I hate to post such negative comments but on this showing, compared to AS6.5 it is a backward step and certainly not "advanced".Maybe it's a setting or settings that I've got wrong. I certainly hope so. If you need to know more please ask me.Iain Smith :(

Hey IAN,Your are right about resource hog. Which is true. in my opinion also.Have you tried to tweak up your OPTIONS?Tune down your windshear, turbulance, etc.And one of the main thing to make my flying smoother:Download current metar from Automatic. Wait for about two minutes so FS9 and ASA could sync in peace.then deactivate the automatic download. Don't even have it checked.ASA should be less resource hogging than before.About 300-250nm repeat the step.XGauge module could also be a hog. If you choose to use it then try to keep your range from 30 to 160max.the more you expand the range. the more demand it needs for refreshing.Try to keep less options highlighted. My highlighted options would only be Clouds, Station, Route.I am no Beta-Tester. These options just works for me to have a smooth transition flight.I'm embarresed to type my memory specs, but lets just say its a four year old machine with only stock chips.The demand to make this well money spent software is way greater than what I have.but it works with no issues. Cheers, Ian

Hi,What are your system specs?Thanks,
Hi Jim, specs are Gigabyte K8 Triton mobo with AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU, 2GB PC3200 DDR RAM, Geforce 7900GS AGP 256MB, Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live, 1 x 70GB HD, 1 x 120GB HD both IDE. Think that's all that's relevant. I'm not using XGauge.Iain Smith
And one of the main thing to make my flying smoother:Download current metar from Automatic. Wait for about two minutes so FS9 and ASA could sync in peace.then deactivate the automatic download. Don't even have it checked.ASA should be less resource hogging than before.About 300-250nm repeat the step.XGauge module could also be a hog.
Hi Benzhangar, thanks for the response. I don't use XGauge but I'll experiment with your suggestion to deactivate auto d/load. This was never a problem with ASv6.5.Iain Smith

Guest N697DT

Hi Iain, I have a faster system than you and I have the same problems you talk about. I never did have AS6 so I don't know how to compare that. ASA takes my frame rates down about 20-25fps. That has been real discouraging. Even when I mess with the settings it doesn't help much. I hope this patch is a really good one coming out soon.-Dack

It feels strange reading this. I upgraded from ASX 6.5. In fact I have upgraded ever since my first Active Sky in June 2005.I "know" that on my PC ASA is gentle on resources and I even get an FPS boost using AS. But then again I did read the handbook from cover to cover during the first few days. There are a few interesting changes (even if only slight) since ASX.I am not saying there are no bugs - I have had a couple of CTD in ASA and the thermals tend to stay put when I clear them in the "winds" window. But most of my troubles are caused by "Extreme adjusting". For instance: try setting the outside air temperature of a wind layer at (for example) 25000 feet to plus 20

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

It feels strange reading this. I upgraded from ASX 6.5. In fact I have upgraded ever since my first Active Sky in June 2005.I "know" that on my PC ASA is gentle on resources and I even get an FPS boost using AS. But then again I did read the handbook from cover to cover during the first few days. There are a few interesting changes (even if only slight) since ASX.I am not saying there are no bugs - I have had a couple of CTD in ASA and the thermals tend to stay put when I clear them in the "winds" window. But most of my troubles are caused by "Extreme adjusting". For instance: try setting the outside air temperature of a wind layer at (for example) 25000 feet to plus 20

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Interesting. I can't speak to FS9 because I no longer use it but what I like most about ASA is that I get absolutely NO frame rate hit at all. I have a fairly powerful system true but I have issues with other add-ons but not ASA.I have my FPS locked at 30 and trecently took a flight from KBUR to KSFO during the heavy weather we've had here in the last week. Using the 4096 textures from FEX along with ASA, I stayed pegged at 30 for the whole flight, even with the heavy cloud cover and rain.I did notice some annoying cloud pops however.system is Q9650 at 3.88G/ XP64 w 4G DDR3 RAM 1800 8-8-8-24 1T/ BFG GTX 280 OC2 video card.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Well I've just done another flight having cleared weather in FSUIPC and only visibility smoothing set in that. It may be that the stuttering was not caused by ASA as this flight was as smooth as normal for my rig. However, it is still unsatisfactory due to the continually changing clouds both in terms of amount and brightness. Looking forward through the windscreen there is a regular, almost continual rapid change in the cloud formation as well as changing levels of brightness.To sum up the cloud depiction is not stable, the whole thing looks "flakey". My next flight was with ASv6.5 and what a difference! I'm sorry but for me at present ASA is unusable. :( Iain Smith

STORMPUP thank for those suggestions. Will try tonight on a flight. I will keep you posted.IAN, Hang in there bud. I wouldn't know how AS6.5 works to compare the two. I always thought WETTER was BETTER.But i'm sure down the road your needs will be answered. They do have a good support and i'm sure your issues are on their map.I don't know how MR. Skorna keep up. But I'm sure he is like Con EDISON in NYC. He is on it. Cheers,

They do have a good support and i'm sure your issues are on their map.I don't know how MR. Skorna keep up. But I'm sure he is like Con EDISON in NYC. He is on it. Cheers,
Thanks Benzhangar. I know that Jim Skorna, Damian & the rest of the team are of a very high integrity and will do their utmost to sort this out. However, not everyone has the same, or indeed any, issues which is the slightly worrying aspect.Iain Smith