Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_B

3GB Patch

Has anyone ran the 3GB patch for FSX and then had problems with graphics when starting a free flight

Thanks for the detailed explanation it certainly cleared things up for me. I thought when buying my new system including XP, 4 GB RAM and 512 Graphics that FSX would certainly handle all display settings switched to max and have no issues with memory etc. Was unaware of the 2GB limit set by XP. I have reverted back to original FSX.exe without the patch and disabled the 3GB switch. This setting is OK andmonly occasionally get the OOM issue. With it on the graphic display is unusuable. Thanks again for your response much appreciated.

So Aaron, what would be the advantage to having the 3GB switch in the boot.ini file?Thanks,Ron Musick

Thanks for the info and will look into the seperate boot up etc seems the smart way to go. Also that link and the end of your reply i actually came across that topic yesterday. AFter reading it i re did the 3GB patch, ammended the boot ini with /3GB with also /Userva=2560 and that seems to have fully addressed the OOM issue - all works well with full max settings. To answer your question i have no other applications running in the background at all. Anyway all seems to be fixed and thanks again will give the 'games profile' a shot as well.

Thanks for the info and will look into the seperate boot up etc seems the smart way to go. Also that link and the end of your reply i actually came across that topic yesterday. AFter reading it i re did the 3GB patch, ammended the boot ini with /3GB with also /Userva=2560 and that seems to have fully addressed the OOM issue - all works well with full max settings. To answer your question i have no other applications running in the background at all. Anyway all seems to be fixed and thanks again will give the 'games profile' a shot as well.
I have been using a custom made "gaming" hardware profile for years, as Aaron suggests. It became even more important with older 4:3 screen ratio games, like FS9, after I bought my widescreen monitor. I now call this profile "Gaming43" and it starts with a 4:3 screen resolution so no more "stretching" or screwing around with changing the resolution. I would suggest a good site to explain what the services are, before disabling them? Blackviper or Eldergeek sites gives a comprehensive list of all services and what depends on them. You may still want to use the printer, access real world weather on the internet, etc so know what you are turning off! :( . Victor Buck