Sign in to follow this  
speedbird2001

Add-Ons For FS9

Hi everyone. I have yesterday made a completely clean start of FS9 with a new rig having been out the flight sim loop for about a year. I have been browsing all the fantastic products available but at the same time getting a little confused and worried that I may duplicate what I am going to buy. Rather than add the more intricate add-ons like replacement trees etc etc ( I will do this later), I am trying to get the fundementals right i.e Mesh, Weather, Land Class, water and Scenery/Terrain. This is where I am. Weather, I am going to for Active Sky 6.5 and in conjunction with REX (for FS9 when or if it will ever be released) although I have seen Zinertek weather FX that seems to offer some great features but no replacement water textures. For Mesh I am going for FS Global X. Being UK based most of my flying is in Europe but hey there is a world out there. Where I am getting confused is what terrain package to use. I thought UT Europe would do the job and then saw Ground Enviroment Pro which seems ok to me. Do these two packages compliment each other ? I am sure this has been asked a million times before and I have checked previous posts but can anyone tell me what the best combination there is out there, just to get started ? By the way any Payware packages are ok. Many thanks Tristan.

UT and Ground Environment work together perfectly. If you fly in the US, I would recommend MegaScenery, it is great stuff and is dirt cheap for FS9 now days.

Joe Sherrill

Guest cuizinier
Where I am getting confused is what terrain package to use. I thought UT Europe would do the job and then saw Ground Enviroment Pro which seems ok to me. Do these two packages compliment each other ?
UT and GE work perfectly together (GE even offer texture for UT specific terrain classes). UT is a landclass that tell the sim what kind of terrain is where while GE give new (awesome) texture for all terrain classes. both the package will perfectly complement the weather/texture addons you mentioned (GE and AS work together for load ground textures that fit the weather). regarding weather, why don't buy ASA ?Julien

I'm in hearty agreement with the endorsements for UT and GE. I wouldn't like to fly without them. Even better- triple your scenery pleasure with multiple monitors and a realistic 140

Thanks everyone for some really good answers. I think the haze is beginning to lessen. Well I have already downloaded Ative Sky 6.5 ( with some great results) and I will wait for REX. Sorry Tim, I didn't mean sound derogatory. So, it looks like FS Global X for Mesh and both UT and GE for textures. Is that a reasonable combination ? Many thanks Tristan.

Tristan no need for sorries :) REX is not available just yet. But UT and GE are must haves for FS9, can't vouch for FS Global, but with UT and GE you cannot go wrong :)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com