Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve31000

Problem installing files into FSX folders

Guest steve31000

Since the past few days everytime I try to manually copy and paste files such as effects from downloaded planes/scenery nothing happens, that is the file does not paste into the desired folder as though it is somehow locked. I've tried dragging it in, cut and paste, extracting directly and nothing happens. My latest problem is with REX's free contrail download, again I can't extract to that folder nor copy and paste. I'm at a loss. I'm using Vista 32 bit and have been for a while and never had such problems. I have checked my computer for viruses but have none that I can detect. Also it seems to be just within FSX that theres a problem copying and pasting. Sometimes it says that its moving a file and then about half way the box that says its moving the file freezes and windows explorer crashes causing me to restart. Other times nothing at all happens - it just doesn't paste.Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? :(

Do you have a restore point prior to a Windows update that occurred just before this appeared?

Art

Guest steve31000

Unfortunately I haven't got a restore point. I'm not sure why some files copy and others don't. Its bizarre. I managed to cop the free REX contrails texture files into Effects/Textures but not the fx files into the effects folder. Can't understand how one file type copies and not another.

Unfortunately I haven't got a restore point. I'm not sure why some files copy and others don't. Its bizarre. I managed to cop the free REX contrails texture files into Effects/Textures but not the fx files into the effects folder. Can't understand how one file type copies and not another.
Seems obvious but have you checked the space availability on your FSX partition? Tried a defrag?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Can you copy the effects folder to documents, make changes, then copy back?Not a fix,but maybe it will tell us something.For example, with UAC turned on, if you want to modify a cfg file, you can open notepad/browse to the cfg/make changes/save as/and you are good to go. As you know, you can not edit a cfg directly with UAC on.I'm not saying that your problem is UAC related, I just use it as a example.A rootkit might cause things to stop part way through, but I would think you would have more problems than you do.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.