Sign in to follow this  
Guest efratomer

Vista & Simconnect

Guest efratomer

Hello,I am buidling a program that connects to Simconnect in vb.net.I have checked the program and it works great in my Windows XP PC>.When I copy it to my laptop (Vista OS) i'm getting the microsoft's error report (send \ don't send window) immediately after I execute the EXE.I wan't to add that in the XP OS the program works great! So after I got this error I made some try and error tests to see which line in-code makes it.The line that result the error:

fsx_simconnect = Nothing

this is how fsx_simconnect variable is declared:

Dim fsx_simconnect As SimConnect

any Ideas?Thanks in advance,Omer.

Look in your event viewer and see if you can give more info on the error.This is not the normal UAC error, but...?Did you install FSX in Program Files?Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest ziporama

Vista 32 or 64? Perhaps you compiled the code for a specific platform?Do you see the the simconnect libraries in the side by side folder (usually c:\windows\WinSxS) - look for entries that include "microsoft.simconnect" in the folder names.Does your program load with no dependency or load errors in dependency walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/)? That will check all references and make sure your code has all it needs to run.Hope this helps,Etienne

Vista 32 or 64? Perhaps you compiled the code for a specific platform?
Yep, that can definitely cause problems with managed clients, make sure to change the build target to x86 only (instead of the "Any CPU" setting).
Do you see the the simconnect libraries in the side by side folder (usually c:\windows\WinSxS) - look for entries that include "microsoft.simconnect" in the folder names.
Actually, for a managed client, you would need to check both the WinSxS directory and the c:\windows\assembly directory (the Global Assembly Cache - GAC) as a managed client would need both the managed client wrapper and the native client to be available to run.Tim

Guest efratomer
Yep, that can definitely cause problems with managed clients, make sure to change the build target to x86 only (instead of the "Any CPU" setting).Actually, for a managed client, you would need to check both the WinSxS directory and the c:\windows\assembly directory (the Global Assembly Cache - GAC) as a managed client would need both the managed client wrapper and the native client to be available to run.Tim
Hello,The flightsim simconnect file is in the assembly folder but there is nothing in the WinSxS though.. also, I am running vista 32 bit.Any more ideas?Thanks.Omer.

The flightsim simconnect file is in the assembly folder but there is nothing in the WinSxS though.. also, I am running vista 32 bit
Sounds like you haven't installed SimConnect on that system.Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest efratomer

I have installed FSX: Deluxe edition.. Isn't that enough for the program to work properly?And why the program crashs when there is no Simconnect installation.. how can I handle the error so there will be a nice error message that i'll create?Thanks,Omer.

I have installed FSX: Deluxe edition.. Isn't that enough for the program to work properly?
It should be (even the non-Deluxe) -- but you said "there is nothing in the WinSxS though". If there is no SimConnect folder in WinSxS then SimConnect is not installed, so something went wrong with the FSX install. Try inserting the DVD again anfd repairing the installation.
And why the program crashs when there is no Simconnect installation.. how can I handle the error so there will be a nice error message that i'll create?
Sorry, I can't help with that as I don't know the language you are using. I think it needs a wrapper or interface module. I use C/C++.RegardsPete

how can I handle the error so there will be a nice error message that i'll create?
Look into using a VB Try...Catch block of code around your initial call to SimConnect such that if the 'Try' to open SimConnect fails, you 'Catch' the exception and put up a message box.Using Try...Catch is explained with examples in the help for VB.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest efratomer

Hello, Many thanks for your replies!First, I checked winSxS again and did found a simconnect related folder called: "x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect67c7c14424d6....." as well as the "simconnect.dll" file itself.Second, I have tried executing my program via the Dependency Walker program and got the following result on BOTH machines (XP & Vista OS):

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.
Actually.. I have no idea what this warning means :( and if its related to our issue as this appear on both OS's.Starting to get frustrated.Omer.

I have no idea what this warning means :( and if its related to our issue as this appear on both OS's.
While I am not an expert in the dependency walker, a quick Google search will show a number of possibilities i.e. see this thread on MSDN for example, or look at this Dependency Walker FAQ. These both seem to indicate that this sort of reply can be ignored as it works at a far lower level.To be honest, you seem to be looking for more and more complex reasons why things are not working rather than following simpler fault-finding techniques. Have you first demonstrated that your Vista machine is even correctly configured for SimConnect and have done so by proving that one of the default FSX SDK SimConnect apps will work when remotely connected from your Vista machine to your FSX machine (if they don't work, then yours will not either)? Have you run your app under the VB debugger on the Vista machine to see if you can get a better idea where it is failing?I'm willing to try and help further but it is very difficult when you have only supplied two lines of code, no information on how your VB project properties are configured, are asking questions in multiple forums, etc..Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest efratomer

Hello Jeff!I have made some tests and found that even the Managed VB Data Request sample provided in the SDK produces the same problem...I run basicExample.exe and get the vista's "Stopped responding" error message.Notice that the SDK is NOT installed on that machine and I have just copied the EXE file to it.From the above, I can conclude that the issue is not resulted by my program but that there is something missing or not configured correctly in the vista machine.Thanks in advance,Omer.

I can conclude that the issue is not resulted by my program but that there is something missing or not configured correctly in the vista machine.
I think this goes back to what I first said in answer to you over at Pete's FSUIPC forum on SimFlight, it sounds like SimConnect is not properly installed or configured on your Vista PC.To try and resolve this, first look to re-install SimConnect from you PC with the SDK and on which you build on the Vista PC. To do this, look inside the 'SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib' folder for the SimConnect.msi installer. Copy this over to your Vista PC and install it. Try the SDK example apps and your app to see if it now works.If not, double-check that the SimConnect.cfg file on your Vista PC is correctly configured to talk to your FSX machine and the port and protocol match what you have in your SimConnect.xml configuration file on your FSX machine for the global scope.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest efratomer

Hey Jeff,I am really confused right now.I have tried installing simconnect.msi and it just showed me the progress bar and closed, then I right clicked that file and noticed an option "remove installation" which means it was already installed. I had removed the installation and reinstalled the msi file and yet the sdk program still didn't worked and crashed as before.Furthermore, I have searched for the files you mentioned: simconnect.cfg and simconnect.xml and none of them was found in the machine.Please help,Omer.

Furthermore, I have searched for the files you mentioned: simconnect.cfg and simconnect.xml and none of them was found in the machine.
You create them yourself -- the CFG file on the client PC (the one without FSX running), and the XML on the FSX PC. Please read the earlier parts of the SimConnect documentation from the SDK. It provides sample files for you to work with.The CFG file goes into your normal "My Documents" folder, for use by all SimConnect clients on that PC, the XML file goes into the same folder on the FSX PC as the FS9.CFG, DLL.XML and EXE.XML files.RegardsPete