Sign in to follow this  
Guest efratomer

Vista & Simconnect

Guest efratomer

Hey,I think you guys had missunderstood me as I got 2 machines. One is with XP OS installed and one with Vista OS installed. BOTH machines have FSX. The problem is that only in the vista machine im getting a "Stopped responding" error message for my program & examples from the SDK as well!Any further ideas?Omer.

BOTH machines have FSX.
It's a pity you didn't mention this before but that still doesn't take away from the fact that you still need a simconnect.xml on your Vista PC (along with a few others). As Pete noted, details for all of this are clearly noted in the SimConnect SDK documentation. Do you also have the SimConnect.ini, DLL.XML and EXE.XML files on your Vista PC?The locations for the various files should be something like:SimConnect.ini C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Flight Simulator X FilesSimConnect.xml, DLL.XML and EXE.XML C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
Any further ideas?
It still comes down to first making sure that you have SimConnect correctly installed and configured on your Vista PC. Until you can get the example SimConnect SDK apps to run on it, you'll not be able to get your own app to work.After SimConnect is properly installed and configured, if things are still not working install VB on your Vista PC and run your app under the debugger.I'd also recommend that you set up FSX.exe to run "as an administrator" if you have it installed under Progam Files. You can do this permanently by right-clicking on the FSX.exe, selecting Properties and then checking the "Run as an administrator" checkbox on the Compatibility tab.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

It's a pity you didn't mention this before but that still doesn't take away from the fact that you still need a simconnect.xml on your Vista PC
Actually, you don't, unless you are running a remote SimConnect connection to that PC.
I'd also recommend that you set up FSX.exe to run "as an administrator" if you have it installed under Progam Files. You can do this permanently by right-clicking on the FSX.exe, selecting Properties and then checking the "Run as an administrator" checkbox on the Compatibility tab.
That should not be needed unless you have add-in programs installed which need to write to FSX's own folders. The difficulties only arise because the Vista "Program Files" folder is protected from being written to -- even by programs installed there. FSUIPC's installer sets the permissions on the Modules folder it creates to get around this.Running FSX "as administrator" can get you into more problems if you use FSUIPC and have FSUIPC client applications on the same PC. They have to be at the same privilege level as FSX or the memory-sharing technique used in the FSUIPC interface won't work -- Vista prevents it.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

That should not be needed unless you have add-in programs installed which need to write to FSX's own folders.
Agreed, but as we have no idea what the app being developed intends to do, this is a simpler and easier suggestion than playing with Vista folder permissions, something which if incorrectly set could cause more issues than not getting a SimConnect add-on to work.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest efratomer

Hello guys,I have installed VB.net in the vista machine, copied my project and opened it.I am getting couple of errors:1. Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the sertificate store.2. Name SIMCONNECT_TEXT_TYPE is not declarted (this one is showen couple of times for all the lines this appears)3. Text is not a member of Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.SimConnectThere is obviously an issue with some references or such.Please help,Omer.

Guest ziporama
Hello guys,I have installed VB.net in the vista machine, copied my project and opened it.I am getting couple of errors:1. Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the sertificate store.2. Name SIMCONNECT_TEXT_TYPE is not declarted (this one is showen couple of times for all the lines this appears)3. Text is not a member of Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.SimConnectThere is obviously an issue with some references or such.Please help,Omer.
It sounds like you need to re-run the simconnect.msi setup program to ensure the assemblies you need are setup. If you installed without the .NET framework on the computer first, the .NET assembly probably wasn't setup in the GAC although the native client was setup in the side by side system. You can verify this by going to your windows folder (usually, C:\WINDOWS) and assembly folder (so, C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY) and look for the mcirosoft.flightsimulator.simconnect assembly there. That will verify the .NET assembly you need is setup on the client.For good measure, also go to C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS and see if you can find a folder (or set of folders) starting with "x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect". That will verify the native client is setup.Other note regarding the shared memory problems on Vista: just turn off UAC (google the various methods to do this) and end once and for all the security or permission nonsense. Security pundits will probably throw a week old wet carp at me (or two), but in most cases, life is just so much simpler without UAC. Face it, we didn't have UAC before. As to the "run as administrator" issue, you can re-instate the use of the administrator account on vista, which by defaults makes you the admin (also google). Do change the password on the account as when you do this, no password is setup at all. The catch is you first incur more risk, and it's not recommended to use the superuser accounts for everyday life. Mitigate the increased security risk by getting a good hardware firewall blocking snoops into your computer, get a decent a/v program with a subscription so you get the latest signatures and protection, and use strong passwords everywhere (so, don't use the pet's name and do secure your wifi access points with a very long password - know that the two wifi encryption methods WEP and WPA are both cracked now and 8 character passwords fall in about 15 minutes using a pair of GPUs to brute force the decoding - use 16 characters on wifi, that is a far greater risk in my view than the internet right now). Lastly, by all means use common sense with sensitive files (eg, that tax return file should not be stored without a good password and a good backup someplace other than your computer). Disabling UAC and using the administrative accounts make simming life significantly more tolerable, a the cost of reduced security that must be managed. You can certainly "hose" the system by doing things to it in administrator mode. Then again, that was the case in prior versions of the operating system, and we somehow managed to survive - or not :). Bottom line, balance convenience to security and do what is comfortable for you, in a day where ID theft and hacking is rampant. It is possible to dumb down Vista security, how much of it you must judge yourself. I just get tired of hearing "Vista doesn't let me do this or that". In most cases, it can.Etienne

I had the same issues! However THIS fixed my problem (this is provided you have the correct simconnect installation as said above)Also I could not find where you stated which program you are using to compile the program? I assume VB Express 2008? If it is you need to follow instructions below. However if you are using Visual Studio all you need to do is change target build to x86.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------When you are running a VB express 2008 on a 64 bit operating system there are times you need to compile the app as a 32bit. One example is if you need to open an access database. There is not a 64 bit version of jet. To force your app to use the 32 bit version you need to compile the app for the x86 version of the framework. Unfortunately there is no built in way to change the target cpu in VB express 2008. Your best bet is get a copy of Visual studio but if this is not an option you can change it with notepad. Make sure you back up your applications project file before you make any changes. Open up Notepad and open the YourProject.vbproj and you will find a section like this <PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' "> <DebugSymbols>true</DebugSymbols> <DebugType>full</DebugType> <DefineDebug>true</DefineDebug> <DefineTrace>true</DefineTrace> <OutputPath>bin\Debug\</OutputPath> <DocumentationFile>LinqToDataSet.xml</DocumentationFile> <NoWarn>42016,41999,42017,42018,42019,42032,42036,42020,42021,42022</NoWarn></PropertyGroup><PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' "> <DebugType>pdbonly</DebugType> <DefineDebug>false</DefineDebug> <DefineTrace>true</DefineTrace> <Optimize>true</Optimize> <OutputPath>bin\Release\</OutputPath> <DocumentationFile>LinqToDataSet.xml</DocumentationFile> <NoWarn>42016,41999,42017,42018,42019,42032,42036,42020,42021,42022</NoWarn></PropertyGroup> To change the target cpu add <PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget> just before </PropertyGroup> in the Debug and Release sections It should look like this when done <PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' "> <DebugSymbols>true</DebugSymbols> <DebugType>full</DebugType> <DefineDebug>true</DefineDebug> <DefineTrace>true</DefineTrace> <OutputPath>bin\Debug\</OutputPath> <DocumentationFile>LinqGroupBy.xml</DocumentationFile> <NoWarn>42016,41999,42017,42018,42019,42032,42036,42020,42021,42022</NoWarn> <PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget></PropertyGroup><PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' "> <DebugType>pdbonly</DebugType> <DefineDebug>false</DefineDebug> <DefineTrace>true</DefineTrace> <Optimize>true</Optimize> <OutputPath>bin\Release\</OutputPath> <DocumentationFile>LinqGroupBy.xml</DocumentationFile> <NoWarn>42016,41999,42017,42018,42019,42032,42036,42020,42021,42022</NoWarn> <PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget></PropertyGroup>

With VB express 2008, you can easily change to x86 compilation from the menus.Build / Configuration Manager / Active solution platform: <New...>and then select x86.However, this will need to be done with each project, so changing the default as indicated in the above post would solve that problem.+++++++++++++If the Configuration Manager doesn't appear in your VB express 2008, you may need to check:Tools / Options / Projects and Solutions / General / "Show Advanced Build Configurations"Dick

<shameless plug>And if you can hold on for a few more months, I'll have a new managed SimConnect client library that will let you build using the Any CPU setting :-> (although I haven't specifically tested it from VB.Net lately, I assume it should work)</shameless plug>