Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

Addon Converter X

Simmers. I saw this on the AVSIM main page. Sounds too good to be true. :( I would be very interested in finding out whether or not this could covert the 737NG from PMDG and various scenery such as cloud9 and FlyTampa. I am highly skeptical. I looked over their forums and could not find any conclusive evidence this does what it says. Any comments from those that have tried it would be greatly appreciated. Addon Converter XVersion 1.03"Addon Converter X is a plugin for FSX that makes many add-on aircraft and sceneries developed for FS2004 compatible with FSX SP2 and FSX Acceleration Pack"http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'd love a quick, informal review of this product as well. I have a bunch of Nordic airports in FS9 that I really miss in FSX...Cheers/Jonas

Simmers. I saw this on the AVSIM main page. Sounds too good to be true. :( I would be very interested in finding out whether or not this could covert the 737NG from PMDG and various scenery such as cloud9 and FlyTampa. I am highly skeptical. I looked over their forums and could not find any conclusive evidence this does what it says. Any comments from those that have tried it would be greatly appreciated. Addon Converter XVersion 1.03"Addon Converter X is a plugin for FSX that makes many add-on aircraft and sceneries developed for FS2004 compatible with FSX SP2 and FSX Acceleration Pack"http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/
You could probably use this to convert scenery or basic fs2004 aircraft to work with FSX, but I doubt it could do it with complex aircraft like PMDG or LDS, as they use .dll modules for their systems to work, and that would not work in FSX.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

You could probably use this to convert scenery or basic fs2004 aircraft to work with FSX, but I doubt it could do it with complex aircraft like PMDG or LDS, as they use .dll modules for their systems to work, and that would not work in FSX.
Even scenery would be fantastic. I have a ton of US Westcoast airports that I would love to put into FSX. I tried KLAX by cloud9 but I got no results. It was just a quick test and I don't know if I am doing something wrong. I did not really think that this addon would make the NG function.

Mike Keigley

Guest firehawk44
Well, they have a forum and a free demo plus it has the Flight1 Wrapper (get your money back in xx days if not satisfied) so don't see how you can go wrong. I have downloaded the demo and will see if I like it and if it really works. Jim

I would be interested in porting over a bunch of my FS9 GA AI planes so that they work in in FSX, but I can't tell if this utility would make them compatible with DX10 mode.

does nobody have it? i'd be very curious about converting fly tampa and other fs9 add on airports myself!!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Does it convert Fly Tampa's airports?Does it convert Flight scenery sceneries? :(

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

does nobody have it? i'd be very curious about converting fly tampa and other fs9 add on airports myself!!
I have only tried KLAX from Cloud9 and it did not work. I have yet to try the FlyTampa airport I own. I will try to try it out tonight.

Mike Keigley

Does it convert Fly Tampa's airports?Does it convert Flight scenery sceneries? :(
I tired FlyTampa's Seattle. All buildings looked great. The taxiway signs looked good as well. Ground textures were not visible on the ground, however, after take off and from a certain distance they looked great. I am not sure if there is hope for them to work. I had tried KSEA when I first bought FSX and a lot of the buildings were black. So there is an improvement but without ground textures. I am disappointed because I love flying into Seattle and I miss KSEA very much. There is little in the way of Western hubs in FSX. I sure wish developers would start to switch to the west now. FSdreamteam is doing KLAS so that is good.

Mike Keigley

Guest sssummer
I would be interested in porting over a bunch of my FS9 GA AI planes so that they work in in FSX, but I can't tell if this utility would make them compatible with DX10 mode.
I tried the demo specifically to see if it would fix the white AI planes in DX10 mode, and I am pleased to report that it seems to have fixed most of them. Two AI planes that did not work are the Gulfstream V and the F90, both GA. However, all of the commercial aircraft from all of the popular freeware AI sites (Aardvark, TFS, AI Malcontent, DJC) seemed to work as far as I can tell. For that alone, it seems to be worth it so I can run in DX10 mode to get better lighting and take advantage of my hardware. I will do some more testing.

I tried the demo specifically to see if it would fix the white AI planes in DX10 mode, and I am pleased to report that it seems to have fixed most of them. Two AI planes that did not work are the Gulfstream V and the F90, both GA. However, all of the commercial aircraft from all of the popular freeware AI sites (Aardvark, TFS, AI Malcontent, DJC) seemed to work as far as I can tell. For that alone, it seems to be worth it so I can run in DX10 mode to get better lighting and take advantage of my hardware. I will do some more testing.
If I remember correctly, this software does not actually convert any packages for FSX. The software is interactive thus any package you choose to run under FSX will do so as long as you have FSX running. When you shut down FS, the conversion process terminates. What this means is (I think) is that you can't fly between two FS9 airports - you get the first one converted while running FSX but the second airport will not display properly.Check with the program's documention to see if this is correct.NOTE: You do not need this program to use FS9 AI aircraft. All the models I used under FS9 also work under FSX.fb

If I remember correctly, this software does not actually convert any packages for FSX. The software is interactive thus any package you choose to run under FSX will do so as long as you have FSX running. When you shut down FS, the conversion process terminates. What this means is (I think) is that you can't fly between two FS9 airports - you get the first one converted while running FSX but the second airport will not display properly....
What this also means, most likely, is that the converter gnawes away performance. Can anyone comment on how the software hits your frame rates (or "smoothness").Cheers/Jonas

If I remember correctly, this software does not actually convert any packages for FSX. The software is interactive thus any package you choose to run under FSX will do so as long as you have FSX running. When you shut down FS, the conversion process terminates. What this means is (I think) is that you can't fly between two FS9 airports - you get the first one converted while running FSX but the second airport will not display properly.
No, that's not true. It converts textures and caches them. It can do it "as you fly", but for better performance (obviously) they recommend that instead you run the pre-scanning which scans all of your scenery and aircraft textures and caches the conversion data in advance. With the latest update (1.03) they supply a method of doing this even before you load FSX -- the earlier versions had the option as an FSX add-on Menu item only.I do not use it to convert anything from FS9 which did not already work in FSX in any case, so I cannot talk about that. My use of it is so that I can use DX10 mode, which is nearly 100% faster and a lot smoother on my setup than DX9 mode. So, it is successful in making things DX10 compatible, and that is a big benefit for me.
NOTE: You do not need this program to use FS9 AI aircraft. All the models I used under FS9 also work under FSX.
Try DX10 mode. You will get no aircraft texturing. This converter fixes that.In any case, FS9 AI aircraft really impact FSX performance horribly. With only FSX-modelled AI aircraft, as for instance in the DX10 option in MyTrafficX, you can have 2 or 3 times as many AI aircraft around for the same performance.RegardsPete
What this also means, most likely, is that the converter gnawes away performance. Can anyone comment on how the software hits your frame rates (or "smoothness").
I've not managed to measure any impact at all, providing I do as they recommend and pre-scan the scenery and aircraft. You only need to do this once, or if you add more scenery or aircraft. You can now do this using a program supplied before loading FSX in any case.If there is any impact it is certainly grossly overwhelmed by the increase in performance I get from being able to use DX10.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

No, that's not true. It converts textures and caches them. It can do it "as you fly", but for better performance (obviously) they recommend that instead you run the pre-scanning which scans all of your scenery and aircraft textures and caches the conversion data in advance. With the latest update (1.03) they supply a method of doing this even before you load FSX -- the earlier versions had the option as an FSX add-on Menu item only.I do not use it to convert anything from FS9 which did not already work in FSX in any case, so I cannot talk about that. My use of it is so that I can use DX10 mode, which is nearly 100% faster and a lot smoother on my setup than DX9 mode. So, it is successful in making things DX10 compatible, and that is a big benefit for me.Try DX10 mode. You will get no aircraft texturing. This converter fixes that.In any case, FS9 AI aircraft really impact FSX performance horribly. With only FSX-modelled AI aircraft, as for instance in the DX10 option in MyTrafficX, you can have 2 or 3 times as many AI aircraft around for the same performance.RegardsPeteI've not managed to measure any impact at all, providing I do as they recommend and pre-scan the scenery and aircraft. You only need to do this once, or if you add more scenery or aircraft. You can now do this using a program supplied before loading FSX in any case.If there is any impact it is certainly grossly overwhelmed by the increase in performance I get from being able to use DX10.RegardsPete
I've been using the Addon Converter X program for several months after I made a true push to get away from FS9. I don't have a hot system but I have been satisfied with performance. I do notice a small delay in my AI planes loading up textures when sitting at the terminal. I don't have every imaginable traffic file loaded, just enough to be see busy areas where I tend to spend my time, maybe a total of 115-120 traffic files, commercial and military from some of the popular freeware developers. I am considering my FlyTampa San Diego out of FS9 so I can appreciate hometown flying a little more. My setup is DX9--- FSX SP2AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+2.71 GHz2.0 GB DDR2Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 1GBNot a hot system at all.With every scenery setting maxed except water detail, I see approx 15-20 FPS at busy airports 25-35 when taxiing away from congested terminal areas and over 35 FPS in the sky. I'm not seeing a great loss of performance.Keith

Keith Guillory