Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

Can this be Done?

While looking at all the great airports people are making here for all of us to use, I was wondering if some type of an installer can be created that would allow one to load serveral of these airports in one swoop. I know one of the designers has made a installer for theirs, but can one be made that would work with them all. I would think that it would be possible seeing that the file structure and the directories they need to live in are all the same.

Jim Wenham

While looking at all the great airports people are making here for all of us to use, I was wondering if some type of an installer can be created that would allow one to load serveral of these airports in one swoop. I know one of the designers has made a installer for theirs, but can one be made that would work with them all. I would think that it would be possible seeing that the file structure and the directories they need to live in are all the same.
I am afraid not, since there is no standard in the way people package their add-ons. I have always preferred to package my aircraft, environment, and landclass add-ons in .zip files. I do that because I feel from an end user perspective, it is more reassuring to install from a .zip file vs. an executable file. You know exactly what's being installed But other people who make add-ons use executables, because they feel it makes it easier for the end user to install the package right the first time. I don't think either way is right or wrong, but in the end it makes it hard to create an application that can be used as an universal installer.Regards,John

-SNIP- I would think that it would be possible seeing that the file structure and the directories they need to live in are all the same.
That's not always the case....With FSX, and FS9, you can place your addon scenery and airport folders just about anywhere you wishsince you 'point' to them when you enable them in the scenery configuration menu.Also, with FSX, you can pplace your addon aircraft anywhere you wish as long as the directorycontaining them is identified in the MAIN section of the fsx.CFG file.I have a couple of "Addon Scenery" directories on different drives and I have seperate directories for Addon aircraft, Military Aircrat, AI Aircraft, Military Aircraft and Propliners.I really do NOT care for 'installers' an much prefer a zip file so that I can unzip it to my"FSX TEMP" folder, check the contents, make any modifications I wish and finally move thefiles to the directory of my choice. Also, I do not want gauges deposited inb the main "Gauges" directory, as a rule. I prefer themto reside in the aircrafts "Panel" folder.What's more, those 'installers' have a habit of cluttering up my registry and the "Add/RemovePrograms" list.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg