Sign in to follow this  
Guest manos

fine-tuning eyepoint

Guest manos

Hi all,While in VC mode, it's easy to fine-tune the eyepoint visually by means of the various keyboard combinations ([CTRL]+[ENTER], etc). My question is: after I have fine-tuned visually the eyepoint to my liking, how can I get the 3 parameters that correspond to that particular eyepoint-position in order to enter them in the "eyepoint" command line of the aircraft.cfg to save myself the trouble of having to readjust the desirable eyepoint each time I start FS9?To set these values in the aircraft.cfg file by trial and error is a very painstaking task and out of question!thanks,manos

Hi manos.A while back I posted some approximation on how much to move, but because not all the cockpits are the same size/scale I am not sure that it would work for all aircraft.Rule Nr1 is Make Small changes, No2 make one change at the time until you get the idea. Here is an example of an aircraft that I put together a while back, part of "aircraft.cfg". Under==Views==eyepoint=-0.59 , -1.15 , 2.34 //F/B L/R U/D was .59- 1.0, 2.4Post here if you need more help or find a formula.TV

Hi manos.A while back I posted some approximation on how much to move, but because not all the cockpits are the same size/scale I am not sure that it would work for all aircraft.Rule Nr1 is Make Small changes, No2 make one change at the time until you get the idea. Here is an example of an aircraft that I put together a while back, part of "aircraft.cfg". Under==Views==eyepoint=-0.59 , -1.15 , 2.34 //F/B L/R U/D was .59- 1.0, 2.4Post here if you need more help or find a formula.TV
Can't really add anything more to what Avcomware said, and that's great advice.Sometimes my first tweak to something I don't know, I make it really big, that way, you can see exactly what I

Guest manos
Can't really add anything more to what Avcomware said, and that's great advice.Sometimes my first tweak to something I don't know, I make it really big, that way, you can see exactly what I've screwed up or moved. :( Then I start over making small tweaks like Avcomware.Always make of copy of the Aircraft.cfg file before tweaking for easy restoreRJ
Thanks both for replying,What you advised is indeed the most sensible way to proceed if one were to edit directly the aircraft.cfg file check the changes by reloading the aircraft concerned and so on. Still, it would be much easier to achieve the desired result, if there were a way to dump the required parameters into a file after the eyepoint-position changes had been made visually. But is there such a way? I tried a utility I found in the Avsim library called" "FSvalues" which copies various FS variables into the clipboard, but unfortunately the eyepoint parameters are not included in the retrievable values. I was wondering if modules like FSUPIC.dll or FSDconnection.dll can provide what I'm looking for (extraction of active/current-eyepoint parameters into a file) and in which way?Thanks again,manos

Thanks both for replying,What you advised is indeed the most sensible way to proceed if one were to edit directly the aircraft.cfg file check the changes by reloading the aircraft concerned and so on. Still, it would be much easier to achieve the desired result, if there were a way to dump the required parameters into a file after the eyepoint-position changes had been made visually. But is there such a way? I tried a utility I found in the Avsim library called" "FSvalues" which copies various FS variables into the clipboard, but unfortunately the eyepoint parameters are not included in the retrievable values. I was wondering if modules like FSUPIC.dll or FSDconnection.dll can provide what I'm looking for (extraction of active/current-eyepoint parameters into a file) and in which way?Thanks again,manos
I'm not aware of such a program, but, maybe someone else might. You'd think that someplace, somewhere, FS9 creates either a temp file containing that info, because fs9 certainly remembers your settings when switching views. Be interesting to see what others have to say.RJ

May I offer a little tip that I use.Go into your assignments dialog and you will find "Reload user aircraft".I have this set to CTRL + Spacebar.I have FS running in one window, and Notepad running in another. (I have 2 monitors so I put FS on one, and Notepad on the other).With the .cfg file open in Notepad, be it a panel, sound, aircraft, I 1) make my changes to the .cfg2) save my changes with CTRL + S3) bring focus to FS4) reload my aircraft to see my changes with CTRL + SpacebarMost of the time, not always, changes made to one of those files will show without having to restart the sim or even select another aircraft. Occasionally I have to hit CTRL + Spacebar twice to see changes and less occasionally I have to reselect the aircraft to see changes but most of the time it works. I like to tweak panels so I do this quite a bit without problems. Once you get used to it, it goes pretty quick.NOTE: You can NOT make changes to FS9.cfg on the fly like this, that will cause problems.Hope this helps a bit.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest manos
May I offer a little tip that I use.Go into your assignments dialog and you will find "Reload user aircraft".I have this set to CTRL + Spacebar.I have FS running in one window, and Notepad running in another. (I have 2 monitors so I put FS on one, and Notepad on the other).With the .cfg file open in Notepad, be it a panel, sound, aircraft, I 1) make my changes to the .cfg2) save my changes with CTRL + S3) bring focus to FS4) reload my aircraft to see my changes with CTRL + SpacebarMost of the time, not always, changes made to one of those files will show without having to restart the sim or even select another aircraft. Occasionally I have to hit CTRL + Spacebar twice to see changes and less occasionally I have to reselect the aircraft to see changes but most of the time it works. I like to tweak panels so I do this quite a bit without problems. Once you get used to it, it goes pretty quick.NOTE: You can NOT make changes to FS9.cfg on the fly like this, that will cause problems.Hope this helps a bit.
What you have just described is what I have been doing so far (switching between FS and aircraft.cfg opened with notepad) in an attempt to speed-up as much as possible the process of checking out the changes made to aircraft.cfg. However the neccesity of manually seeking the proper values in aircraft.cfg is not eliminated this way. It's one thing editing the aircraft.cfg manually and quite another retrieving the required values by way of making changes in real time, visually.I quite agree with 3green that if switching views does not cause the eyepoint to reset, then there must be somewhere a temp file where the eyepoint variables are stored although I don't have the slightest idea as to where such a file could be located.

I quite agree with 3green that if switching views does not cause the eyepoint to reset, then there must be somewhere a temp file where the eyepoint variables are stored although I don't have the slightest idea as to where such a file could be located.
And their might be no temp file, as it might just be stored in RAM.RJ

I wonder if there is some way to use FSRecorder to capture the deltas from the eyepoint= ? Then you could apply those to the eyepoint= valus to move the point to the desired location.scott s..

Guest manos
I wonder if there is some way to use FSRecorder to capture the deltas from the eyepoint= ? Then you could apply those to the eyepoint= valus to move the point to the desired location.scott s..
You mean the recording code of FS itself, or are you reffering to an add-on utilitity and if so which one please? I tried to use the first 3 parameters that the popular program "active camera" stores in the custom preset-view files that allows the FS user to create (*.acv), but to no avail as those values do not correspond to the kind of variables the aircraft.cfg uses for "eyepoint" nor did I manage to find-out what formula to use to convert them to the required values. If anybody can offer such advice, please do so.