Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Bright Roads / Hiways.

Bright Roads.This change will make the Roads brighter, more realistic, in my opinion. MS has modified/ eliminated the Dusk Transition in FSX, (original non SP1,2 release), big boo boo, it turns the sim into a muddy mess from about 1 hr. before Sunset until the night textures switch. Most / all, my VFR / VMC simming is done at Dusk only, and FSX is useless during that period. Because of that, and this Activation / Installation trash. I installed FSX, then Activated by phone, took over1 hr., since that System never goes on line. I tried to install the Accelerator it told me that I had to Activate FSX, which was aready activated and ran for hours, before it would quit after about 30 min. That, and when I looked at end of 19R at KSNA and seeing the Sequoias did me in. I cannot recall a sim being that Off looking in a long time. I had it installed on HD, unplugged until a few days ago when some called and told me that he could not follow the Roads / Freeways, like we do in real flying. MS has gotten to be the most costumer unfriendly company and I am sure many people would not mind to see it vanish. I decided to look at it again and sure enough, Night textures come in very late, yes I know that there may be a fix in SP1,2 but I am not going to waste any more time with Activation / Installation trash, so I decided to see if I can fix part of the problem. A few years ago, around 4, I created / modified some textures for FS9 for Night time which seems that MS has thankfully implemented a very similar texture in FSX. I guess there is hope for them yet. This Texture, I included here, will Not work in FS.See a better explanation posted by OneThinSoldier?, of my original post, a few years back, but the location of the Texture has changed. The name was something like Litroads, or Brightroads? If and when the .zip that I post here gets removed you should still be able to find the files at AVSIM. That works well in FS9 with Dusk transition enabled.I decided to make some changes to the Hiway texture to make them more realistic, easier to see. It still looks terrible, during Dusk, compared to FS9It seems that from around 19:00 to 19:47, test at Aug 24, 2009, at: N33 41.55 x W117 52.18 x 1300 Ft. there is mostly a dark abyss.This change will not adversely affect your performance, the file size remains the same, but it will make your Main Highways look brighter. I replaced All the Highways in the below Directory except the Dirt, and the LM (used for Night). You may want to be more selective.Note: Save / Copy your originals to a New Subdirectory before you proceed, or just make Copies of them in the same Directory, in case you want to revert back to the originals.Locate your Textures here:…….\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\TextureUnzip the included file, "hiway-bright.zip" and make as many Copies, 9 if you do them all, of the Texture that I included, or as many as you want to replace, and just Rename them to the files you want to replace.Example: Rename "hiway-bright - Copy.bmp" to "hiway_4_lane_hw.bmp", "hiway_4_lane_su.bmp" etc. You may want to try all the rest of "hiway-s" except the "……_lm.bmp" and the Gravel.To undo, recover, just Copy the files you saved, and Overwrite the new files, or Rename the Copies you made to the original names.Any questions and or comments, post here.Here is a pic around SNA with the new textures. TV

Guest wichner7

the pic does not work. where is this file available?

Hi

the pic does not work. where is this file available?
The file is below the message. Just click on the .zip and it will down load. TV

Guest wichner7
HiThe file is below the message. Just click on the .zip and it will down load. TV
duh..i d/l the file but thought i would see a picture of the 'new' highway (you said you have a pic os snv). now i understand. sorry about the confusion. do you have a picture of what the new highway looks like? thanks

Hi." do you have a picture of what the new highway looks like? thanks"Yes, the pic is the one you see in the post / message, above. You can compare to the original release by going to the same location / time as noted in the message. TV

Guest wichner7
HI.Here is a pic of Before and After. TV
Perfect!!! Thank you. Installed to all 9 files and there is a definite improvement. Suggest many others try it! Thank you for sharing your work with the fd community.

Thanks for the AWESOME textures, I always felt the highways were too dark. I'm not sure what textures you wanted users to replace because the instructions were kinda confusing, but that's alright.What I did was I renamed your texture and replaced:

• hiway_4_lane_hw.bmp
  • hiway_4_lane_su.bmp

...because I saw that your textures were 4 lane highways when I opened them up in DXTBmp and the only textures that should be replace are the daytime 4 lane highways, or else 1 and 2 lane highways might become 4 lane highways.So again, I recommend only replacing those two textures.Thanks again for the awesome textures I appreciate it. :(

Thanks for the AWESOME textures, I always felt the highways were too dark. I'm not sure what textures you wanted users to replace because the instructions were kinda confusing, but that's alright.What I did was I renamed your texture and replaced:
  • hiway_4_lane_hw.bmp
  • hiway_4_lane_su.bmp

...because I saw that your textures were 4 lane highways when I opened them up in DXTBmp and the only textures that should be replace are the daytime 4 lane highways, or else 1 and 2 lane highways might become 4 lane highways.So again, I recommend only replacing those two textures.Thanks again for the awesome textures I appreciate it. :(

Hi, Gman!.You are right that they are 4 Lane textures but because they are so light in color they do not show as 4, or 2 etc. Anything you guys want, you can use.Any combination that you want, will work. If you do not change the 2 lanes some of the Exits Entrances to the Highways will not be updated. Go to the location that I posted and try it. If any of you think they are worth uploading to AVSIM, do so, with your name and a better explanation on hot to use it. TV