Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peertjeheavyjet

ILS A/P diconnect faillure? MD11 FS9

Guest Peertjeheavyjet

Hello fellow FS'ersFirst of all, WHAT A GREAT PLANE THE MD11. I always flew boeing but now!! It's great and great and great!! Hope some small bugs will be repaird next update.But now, when i fly a approach and ILS is tuned. Correct and disconnect the A/P, by the yellow button on you're yoke, all info dissapear. Like G/S and track etc. Is this normal system behaviour? Because reading all the documents, couldn't find it.It looks to me, if you disconnect the A/P you should keep you're ILS info untill you landded?Anybody?Peter

Peter, I am not sure what you did. Disconnecting the A/P on final is not unusual, and LOC/GS info should be available. I just took her out for a spin around the block at KIAH and on final approach about 1000 agl I disconnected Otto and handflew to unremarkable landing:

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Peertjeheavyjet
Peter, I am not sure what you did. Disconnecting the A/P on final is not unusual, and LOC/GS info should be available. I just took her out for a spin around the block at KIAH and on final approach about 1000 agl I disconnected Otto and handflew to unremarkable landing:
Well i did not try it again, but the only thing i see that is different, i fly in VC cockpit. But you have the G/S and LOC still in you're EHSI but did two landings and they disappeard. I will mike a flight one of these day's and make some screenshots to see and let you show what is going wrong.I sometimes can not change the runway selected to land on when atc instructs me to do a approach on a other runway. So mayby it is a bigger problem, at my computer/PMDG MD instal but not really noticeable.Thanks so far for reply and i keep you informed. (p.s the approaches where on OMDB and EDDF where it went wrong, but on USSS it went all smoothly).Peter

Guest Peertjeheavyjet

Hope someone else can help me out.Finally had time to fly. My CTD's and OOM's where the primary problem after fresh installation.No i made another flight from EDDF to LEMD. Everything went wel. Until the APP. Again no ILS info afterAP disconnect. Also i disconnected the A/T. Is that mayby the problem? i see on the screenshots that your'se are still on.And also after landing, the Autobrakes do not apply. i keep running down the runway with 150knots untill i apply the brakes myself. I didactivated high brake action our so called in the PMDG option menu.What is wrong our what setting do i mis?Peter

The autobrake issue might be a known problem with a fix forthcoming; however, losing LOC/GS just because you disconnect the A/P is a problem only reported once. Please post a screen shot to help understand the problem or try to reproduce it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Peertjeheavyjet

Sorry forgot to past a screenshot with my reply.LandingMD11afterapdisconnect.jpgHope you can see enough.... i took the screenshot just in a split second when i was thinking about it.If not, i will make more screenshots upcoming day's.

Why are you in climb thrust mode if you are on approach? I can't tell if the approach is entered in the FMS, sorry I'm not much help.Let's say you want to hand fly around the pattern. You still need to program a departure and arrival, then hand fly to the IAF for the approach. In the above case I do not see evidence of what you did before you were 1130 agl on final... if you only disconnected AP then you should still have ATS. Even without ATS you should have LOC/GS if the ILS is programmed either from the STAR page or the NAV RAD page. Basically, I wish you had included a little story with the picture.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Peertjeheavyjet
Why are you in climb thrust mode if you are on approach? I can't tell if the approach is entered in the FMS, sorry I'm not much help.Let's say you want to hand fly around the pattern. You still need to program a departure and arrival, then hand fly to the IAF for the approach. In the above case I do not see evidence of what you did before you were 1130 agl on final... if you only disconnected AP then you should still have ATS. Even without ATS you should have LOC/GS if the ILS is programmed either from the STAR page or the NAV RAD page. Basically, I wish you had included a little story with the picture.
I will make a flight today, and will make screenshots our even a movie. So we have more info.

Peter,try to make two screenshots, one before AP disconnect where all info is still available and one as soon as it is removed. This shouldn't happen of course.Markus

Markus Burkhard

I've made two flights around the circuit testing this complaint. One with AP until established on final and one without any AP or ATS from takeoff to landing and in both cases I have LOC/GS information. But, the MCDU needs to be set up for the approach. The FMS does not automatically tune the ILS without having the approach inserted into the fpln.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Peertjeheavyjet
I've made two flights around the circuit testing this complaint. One with AP until established on final and one without any AP or ATS from takeoff to landing and in both cases I have LOC/GS information. But, the MCDU needs to be set up for the approach. The FMS does not automatically tune the ILS without having the approach inserted into the fpln.
I programmed into the FMS that there would be a landing at rwy 32R. No STAR input. And when established and out of the clouds. I disconnected the AP. I think i know what happend, I did push the TOGA. This was not the my intention but that is the only thing that went wrong that final stage of the flight.No typing this i'm cruising on FL 410 so when i start descent i will make screenshots of the FMS and Panel to show what i'm doing and what is happening.Thx so far for you're help and responses.Peter

If you want an ILS then please select ILS 32 instead of RNW 32... makes a diff

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Peertjeheavyjet
If you want an ILS then please select ILS 32 instead of RNW 32... makes a diff
Well yesterday i landded on Quito aiport, great aiport by the way. And no problems occured. Had a great ILS signal during app. and even with the AP disconnect and A/T no problems. I think the problem was i made by pushing the TOGA. Today i will make another flight and will keep monitoring it. If nothing is going wrong i will let you know. I think i made a mistake all the time when i was flying manual by disconnecting the A/T. I also pay good attention by selecting the runway. I always select ILS... then the runway. When i'm intent to make a ILS app. our the weather is bad. Usually i fly by hand.So ohh the screenshots i made. with Fraps. well i pushed the screenshot button twice so there were only 2 screenshots. with no info. Sorry for that.Peter

One thing has me at a loss here. How can one accidently push the go around button? It's not on the yoke, but on the throttles. Or did you map a keystroke?Karsten

Guest Peertjeheavyjet
One thing has me at a loss here. How can one accidently push the go around button? It's not on the yoke, but on the throttles. Or did you map a keystroke?Karsten
Yes, i made it on my Pro flight yoke with throttle quadrant. So having my throttles pushed forward, there are 3 buttons with up and down function. on one button i made a A/T arm/disarm and the opposite was TOGA. Same as the A/P disconnect, it is on my control yoke. It is worth the investment it fly's great, better then the joystick i used.Peter