Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Download Problems !!

Guest draky

Hello Dan,I have the SP2 and XP Pro on this computer and the Firefox Browser worked fine so I don't therefore think it is an issue with SP2. Mine is now working with or without the MS XP SP2 firewall either on or off, same goes for the antivirus (they don't make any difference). I guess you have all the MS updates installed. I was convinced it was something to do with security settings but I ain't no guru!. Have yo a fast ADSL connection or are you on dial-up, I remember reading something about XP having some limits set for downloads, somerthing to do with a set waiting time for a response from the download server and if this was exceeded then the download may not be "allowed" - I'm clutching at straws here mate only because I know how frustrated you must be - I certainly was until I got the fix. You don't have a wireless network by any chance? - I have one at home and had to manually set it up with XP Pro and that has it's own fire wall system that can block certain events. Just another stab in the dark.Don't give up - give MS some stick they deserve it mate - after I used the Firefox browser I now see what all the rumpus is about MS cornering the market with IE - I have liked the new browser so much better now have it set as the default and use it all the time - far less hassle than MS's efforts in my humble opinion of course!Surely someone out there has a better answer - hope so and Happy New Year! :)Dave

Guest danfgreen

Hello Dave!! Well I just now tried getting a file thru Firefox with the SP2 Firewall off, pop-up blocker off, and still no luck! I sure appreciate you trying to help but now I just plain give up!! Sad thing is there are 2 STL Lambert Airport files I would love to get and I can't!! This thing really has me irate as up to a month ago I had no problems with Avsim!! I notice also that I'm not alone in this either!! Can't Avsim come up with some kind of a fix for this??? Anyway I'm open to any help anyone can try and offer on this!! Thanks everyone!!! Dan Green

There is really no fix we can post because this is not on our side. Did you say you contacted MSN about this?

Guest danfgreen

Sir: Yes I have gone to MSN, to my DSL providor, to your FAQ section, and in this forum! I've tried using Firefox browser with the SP2 firewall both on and off, and none of the above has been of any help!! I think I'm just going to give up on this cause this has gotten to be rediculous that the issue can't be resolved! Regards..Dan Green

Guest Billygray@btinternet

I had exactly the same problem downloading with MS software about a month ago, I was wondering if it could be the dowload speeds as I had just upgraded to a 1mb isp. In my case however it did work with firefox. I still suspect it was something in the Avsim side as I never have any problems on other sites.

Guest danfgreen

Hello Billy!! I sure am perplexed on this one!! As I say I've tried just about everything I know to try all to no avail!! So I'll just get my files elsewhere until someone or Avsim themselves can get this resolved!! I'm at a complete loss as to what to do from here!! Thanks.... Dan G.

Guest draky

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth - I had similar troubles with other well known FS sites and not just AVSIM before I was lucky enough to resolve my issue with the Firefox browser. The browser change obviously does not work for all issues with downloading here and probably elsewhere but I would hesitate before placing any blame on AVSIM. For me the trouble what ever it may have been was not just confined to this great site.Incidentaly I use the Firefox as my default browser now - I find it much more simple to use and friendlier than the Bill Gates arm twister IE. My gut feeling is that Bill's lot is probably to blame here. That is just a humble opinion of course.Dave :)

Guest danfgreen

Hello Draky: Thanks very much for the reply! I think I hear what you're saying and I notice that most everybody seems to have had success using the Firefox browser. Problem for me is that I have not had any success with the Firefox which doesn't make sense but that's what's happened for me so far! So the question for me is what can I do or try now?? I'm at a loss as to which way to turn at this point to where I'm ready to just give up!! It's very frustrating to have this kind of problem and apparantly with no solution in sight right now!! I hope you can understand how I feel as I've gotten some really great files from Avsim and now it's like I've been locked out!! Again any help that you or anyone out there can offer I'm open to try!!! Thanks again!! Regards.... Dan Green

> Hello Draky: Thanks very much for the reply! I think I hear>what you're saying and I notice that most everybody seems to>have had success using the Firefox browser. Problem for me is>that I have not had any success with the Firefox which doesn't>make sense but that's what's happened for me so far! So the>question for me is what can I do or try now?? I'm at a loss as>to which way to turn at this point to where I'm ready to just>give up!! It's very frustrating to have this kind of problem>and apparantly with no solution in sight right now!! I hope>you can understand how I feel as I've gotten some really great>files from Avsim and now it's like I've been locked out!!>Again any help that you or anyone out there can offer I'm open>to try!!! Thanks again!! Regards.... Dan GreenIf it happens with more than one browser on your system, you can bet the issue is either a firewall setting, a security setting, or a cookies placement issue. We have over 230,000 people successfully using the library, so the problem lies somewhere on your system. That's the best guidance I can give you at this point (and suggest that you review all the faqs and what have you posted here).

Guest danfgreen

Hello Tom! Thanks for your reply! Well the only firewall I have is the MSN SP2 one, at least that I know of. I've tried Firefox with the firewall turned off so I'm thinking that should eliminate the firewall issue! Would that be correct?? So now I'd be looking at the security settings or cookie placement issues. To be frank I kind of hesitate messing with those mainly out of fear that I'll mess something up and end up with even worse trouble! I hope you can understand how I feel here! If you have any help you can offer on this I am surely open to whatever you can offer!! It would be very nice to get this resolved!! Regards....Dan Green

Guest danfgreen

Hello Chase!! Well I just sent an E-mail to mattj@avsim.com as you suggest in this reply so I await an answer from him on this topic. I've talked to Clint Wade recently and what he had me try didn't work. He asked me if I had a download accelerator but I don't know what that is so I couldn't answer him. So at this point I'm at a stand still unless matt can help or maybe another tech. guru can speak up and help here!! Thanks for your efforts!! Regards... Dan G.

Dan,I am sure Matt will be able to answer your question as time permits. We are all very busy people. :)Thank you for your patience, Dan!

Guest shocker

Right, I have a possible FIX!I had exactly the same problems. Initially didn't work in IE so found this thread, downloaded Firefox and still no luck.Then it struck me. Usernames. Is there anything unusual about the characters in your username?When I signed up, I accidentally put a space at the start of my username. I thought nothing of it because I could login ok etc etc.But as soon as I saw the thread about usernames (it mentioned accented characters specifically,

Guest boeing_737

Hello all,I having the EXACTLY SAME prob. as dan.But i use Win 98 SEand no firewall.I can download from flightsim.com , and other sites but not Avsim library.I use IE6, Firefox and opera7 and none of them could download me anything from the library. I formatted my system... but to no avail.I have read the AVsim FAQ..but that has helped me little.I have found some great soundsets i wanted to download in my hols. after my exams..only to find out that i cant download from Avsim.:(please please please help.

Guest danfgreen

Hello B-737: This is Dan Green the guy that's been having the problems!! You might say I stumbled on to a solution for the problem after trying so many things which did not help! I was trying an AOL demo CD the other day but I could not connect to AOL thru my DSL! AOL support could not help so I went to my DSL support for help. They had me try a few things that didn't help and the tech. rep tried one other thing. Turns out my DSL had a firewall and he had me adjust the security level on it to a lower level and "voila!" it works!! I can connect to AOL plus I can now get downloads from Avsim!! I was not aware that my DSL had a firewall but now I know!! I still get a warning bar from MSN (SP 2 Firewall??) but I have the option to download the file so I do and it works OK!! I'm not sure if this will help other folks out there but I thought I should post this in case it can be of help!! Thanks to everyone that tried to help me on this!! Much appreciated!! Regards.... Dan Green