Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Download Problems !!

Dan,I will update the FAQ accordingly. Thank you so much for this input! :)

Guest Regg001

Hello all and Tom.I never had any problem whatsoever with the download at AVSIM before today (tonight). I tried to download a file today and could not succeed (at about 04:00 am EST). Then i tried it later thinking you were updating your database earlier, still same problem.Then i noticed that every time i tried to start a download your server (205.252.249.60) was sending a SCAN on ports 5000 to 5009 (randomly). Of course that scan is being blocked by my firewall -being interpreted as a scan attack... So i setup a temporary specific rule on my firewal to allow all traffic from your server , and then the download worked.I wonder why AVSIM is sending a scan before downloading ?? This is new stuff. I downloaded several files over the last weekend without problem (or scan); someone at your server changed something in the last 2 days...Addendum : before i realised that it was your server scanning my system i had already notify your ISP provider about the scanning behavior i was getting from it. So you might get an email from btnaccess.com . sorry

Guest Matt Johnson

This is you not understanding how FTP works...Tell whatever you are using to enable Passive FTP and the "scan" (sigh) will go away. Active FTP does indeed connect back to your host in order to send the data. Dumb, stupid firewalls misinterpret this perfectly innocuous activity as an attack.

Guest Regg001

Hello sir, i'm very used to FTP protocols - query for/to open ports - managing multiple domains, networks, and servers. Very strict security rules on FTP subsystem/tasks/agents/demon is a standard where i work and i implement the same kind of rules on my system to prevent bad surprises. I prefer to block and fix later than let it run and have to rebuild later. I never had to put a specific rule for AVSIM before today (!)... As i said, i never had a similar problem before today and i've been downloading stuff from AVSIM since FS98 (x0000 files maybe). My firewall, as dummy has he can be, never triggered an alert before. SO, something changed between saturday (last successfull download i did) and this morning. Maybe it's overhere, maybe not. I will continue my investigation on that and let you know.I put the previous message in here to let others know what could be a source of there problem. That's all, no offense..Update.I had the time tonight to continue my investigation and i trace back the problem to be the Microsoft Firewall (Win XP SP02) - someone turned it on overhere last night - forcing your FTP demon to try and retry over and over to get the port(s) to start the download. As i said before, multiple query on same port(s) in a very short time is currently being block by my ''good but so dummy'' firewall ;-)Hope this will help others.

Guest SteveJ

Hi. I just got a Dell 8400 P4 3.4G machine and after a long layoff I'm getting back to flight simming. I also could download from FlightSim but not AVSIM. I did all of the fixes in the File Library Q&A (trusted sites, passive FTP, etc) and turned off my McAffee firewall with no success. Finally I went in search of the Windows firewall, which I found in Control Panel. After turning off the Windows firewall AVSIM downloads work like a charm, even with my McAfee firewall and all security programs running. I'm hoping that McAfee is still giving me adequate protection on my broadband connection.....in any case the Windows firewall was the culprit in preventing me from downloading from AVSIM. SteveJ.

Steve,You shouldn't have two firewalls running anyway. I would reccomend that you keep the Microsoft one disabled and keep McAffee updated and running.