Sign in to follow this  
Guest simjunkie

ManhattanX Released!

Gotta ask, how is the preformance? Better than default, the same, or worse, and in what a/c are you flying around it in. In other words, if you say the performance is good in the default Cessna or Bell, how is it when flying into a nearby airport in say the LDS 767 or equivalent, or cruising around in a more complex than default a/c and what specs are your system so we may get an idea of what to expect. It looks pretty.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest simjunkie
Gotta ask, how is the preformance? Better than default, the same, or worse, and in what a/c are you flying around it in. In other words, if you say the performance is good in the default Cessna or Bell, how is it when flying into a nearby airport in say the LDS 767 or equivalent, or cruising around in a more complex than default a/c and what specs are your system so we may get an idea of what to expect. It looks pretty.
I'll let you know the performance when I clock back up to 4GHz & fly, but at 3.2GHz my i965 doesn't break 12 fps. Flying the Extra 300 out of JFK at around 180kts. That's with 100% autogen, light clouds, LOD 8.0, 100% everything else but water & traffic (low 2x, 12 % road traffic). It really takes it's toll on the system. But OMG the buildings! Aerosoft just shows Lower Manhattan in the screenshots. There's so much more...all of downtown! I can't believe the number of buildings. I use MegasceneryEarth New York and all the roads line up perfectly.Really makes New York look like New York! :( I run an i7 965 w/6Gb DDR3 1600, 280GTX, and P6T Deluxe-jk

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it would be about like that. I'm at 3.85ghz and can pretty much fly anywhere I want at mostly maxed settings, but the look of this scenery makes me wonder how I would fare. I wonder if FlyTampa did it how much better the performance would be. Seems like they have a knack for doing dense areas like Kai Tak with minimal performace hit.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest 56th_Angel_Dust

Hmm for some reason I cant get the link above to work :(

Im anxious to try this scenery. I live in NYC and it was my favorite in FS9. Unfortunatly I just bought it and never got a download link from Aerosoft. I sent them an email with my reciept, but this being the weekend an all, I guess I wont be able to try it until Im off again next weekend :( Rob

Im anxious to try this scenery. I live in NYC and it was my favorite in FS9.
Hmmm .... look carefully at the windows where the edges of the buildings are (where the windows are cut in half). For a lot of these buildings, the textures appear poorly positioned:manhattanx_21.jpgOverall scene looks good, but as you get closer, maybe not so much. Maybe others who already have purchased can comment on this aspect?

Guest firehawk44
Hmmm .... look carefully at the windows where the edges of the buildings are (where the windows are cut in half). For a lot of these buildings, the textures appear poorly positioned:Overall scene looks good, but as you get closer, maybe not so much. Maybe others who already have purchased can comment on this aspect?
The developers readily state the buildings are not exact duplicates or properly rendered in all aspects with the real Manhattan as it would destroy framerates. Until you mentioned it, I did not see the "half" windows. There are many, many more "discrepancies" like this in the scenery if you look really, really look hard. I'm still looking for the News Corp building and Fox News and I don't think I'll find it. Maybe in a major update someday. :( I also noticed the limo in front of the UN building doesn't look very real either. As you state, the scenery looks good overall and I think it provides a very good representation of the real thing. Maybe in 2030 (yikes! I'll be almost 84!) we'll see more full windows. But for 30 bucks I don't think we can expect much more. :( Best regards,Jim

The developers readily state the buildings are not exact duplicates or properly rendered in all aspects with the real Manhattan as it would destroy framerates.
It's actually looks like poor/lazy texture mapping and basically it's easy to fix, just time consuming, but seeing how many buildings they had to create I can see why it was done as is. Has nothing to do with duplicating exact copies of the buildings, it has to do with the edge that defines where the mapping stops being on a row of windows, LOL.I liked the FS9 version and this one looks on par with that one. Would be interesting to see how different it might be if Flytampa had done it, since their last city scenery had amazing performance.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I have tried to download the product 4 times. I cannot unzip it with WinZip. It never download the full 299 mgbtes. What can I do? I've told Aerosoft about it but nothing works.Stan