Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

OCCT Tests Results - What to look for?

Hey guys. Over the last few months Nick and Jeff have assisted me in my OC. Things seemed to be find but I have had a few weird things happen recently so I decided to run an OCCT test ealier today. Posted below are the results, but being new I am not sure what I should be looking for. Except for the fact that I had some big drops in some voltgages. Attached are the pics of the results. Also ran a prime95 for about 30 min and no errors detected. I know I should probably run these tests a little longer but was running short on time tonight. I didn't post the temp results becasue they are not accurate compared to what Realtemp and my onboard PC Probe software were giving me. Realtemp and PC Probe were within a few degrees of each other, while OCCT was about 10 to 15 degrees higher.2009-01-31-00h48-VCore_31-01-2009.jpg2009-01-31-00h48-Volt12_31-01-2009.jpg2009-01-31-00h48-Volt3_31-01-2009.jpg2009-01-31-00h48-Volt5_31-01-2009.jpgThanks for the help.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

Before we go looking at readouts... what are the 'weird' problems seen

Before we go looking at readouts... what are the 'weird' problems seen
Well, I had a BSOD the other day. First one ever on this computer since I had it built last April. The thing was, I had just bought the Imaginsim KCLT and was testing flying around in the Bell, then I switched to the Aerosoft F-16 and went to exterior view and then the BSOD occured. I am thinking that it might be a combo of the F-16 plus that scenery, as I have seen a few posts here and there about problems with Imaginsim FS9 sceneries that they have converted to use in FSX. Later that day I did a flight into the same airport in the LDS 767 and after I landed and taxied to the gate, started the APU and was preparing for the next leg I was going to fly I had a CTD. I also had a CTD in the F-16 the other day after a flight from Southern Cal to Pheonix. The only common thing between the CTD and the BSOD was that the Aerosoft F-16 was involved.Thats why I ran another prime95 and OCCT the other day. I also lowered my vcore from 1.4 to 1.375 and dropped my NB from 1.49 to 1.47. Things seem to be working fine and temps are stable, however after looking and the graphs I didn't know if those big drops in voltgages might have something to do with the CTD and BSOD I had the other day. On a side note I have not had the OOM error and I have the 3GB switch mod.Thanks Nick.Sean

Guest Nick_N
Well, I had a BSOD the other day. First one ever on this computer since I had it built last April. The thing was, I had just bought the Imaginsim KCLT and was testing flying around in the Bell, then I switched to the Aerosoft F-16 and went to exterior view and then the BSOD occured. I am thinking that it might be a combo of the F-16 plus that scenery, as I have seen a few posts here and there about problems with Imaginsim FS9 sceneries that they have converted to use in FSX. Later that day I did a flight into the same airport in the LDS 767 and after I landed and taxied to the gate, started the APU and was preparing for the next leg I was going to fly I had a CTD. I also had a CTD in the F-16 the other day after a flight from Southern Cal to Pheonix. The only common thing between the CTD and the BSOD was that the Aerosoft F-16 was involved.Thats why I ran another prime95 and OCCT the other day. I also lowered my vcore from 1.4 to 1.375 and dropped my NB from 1.49 to 1.47. Things seem to be working fine and temps are stable, however after looking and the graphs I didn't know if those big drops in voltgages might have something to do with the CTD and BSOD I had the other day. On a side note I have not had the OOM error and I have the 3GB switch mod.Thanks Nick.Sean
OKwell here is what I can tell you about those readouts... the PSU appears to have dropped power across the board... when the 3.3v dropped the Vreg system attempted to compensate and when the power came back up it spiked the CPU on the Vcore till the regulator system stabilized the voltage which will happen in the event of a power glitch.That happened again on the Vcore when the 12v and the 5v recorded a drop at the same time baseSo if we assume the readout really did record a power drop then it would suggesta. A bad PSU molex connection(s) to the motherboard b. A device shorting or failing and pulling down the PSUc. A PSU going bad d. AC power surges or browns - could be socket, plug or wall circuit - UPS or other device in line may be failingSince this happened under a load you may have a correlation to very heavy hitting addons and the possibility of one of the above at the same timeThe V-drops, assuming OCCT is in fact recording a real and defined V-drop, would be enough to cause your BSOD's What is strange is why it would not cause a BSOD in the load test when the V-drops occurred and were recorded during which would be the only reason I would question their accuracyThe reason they hold water to me is because one WOULD expect to see the Vcore jump if the power flinched out like that so the Vcore change in my mind authenticates the power drops

Thanks for the explanation. You know now that I think about it after reading your explanation, it could be the power from the wall socket. I have noticed some light flickering in my apt over the past few days. Perhaps when I had the BSOD the computer was trying to draw too much power from the socket and couldn't get enough. I have a pretty good quality power supply listed in my sig, but you never know, it could be faulty. Or, as you said the graphs could be a little off as well since I didn't BSOD while running the test. I did notice that the OCCT reads my core temp as about 10-15 degrees higher than what Realtemp and my onboard PC Probe measure, so perhaps OCCT is not accurately measuring the voltage drops. Or could be a combo of the addons being used when this occured.Who knows, but I haven't had it happen since so perhaps it was just a fluke. I will not worry about it for now unless this starts to become a regular occurance. That BSOD and CTD are the only time this has happened since I had the computer built in April.Thanks for taking time to look at this.Regards,Sean