Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

Flying a Holding Pattern, B737?

Help please. I was assigned a holding pattern on a STAR to KTPA. The procedure indicates a left hand turn, however the FMC shows R turn. How do I change it to Left? I typed /L and that didn't do any good. Help please. Thanks!!

Chuck, check page 8-10 in the FMC user manual. Inbd Crs/Dir field; you may have to reenter the course with / then direction.One thing confuses me, the holding patterns for STARS in the US are usually not included in the procedure file. Which STAR and what holding fix are you specifically referring to?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello,No need for the /, just enter L or R, it should work.EDIT: Dan, I just took a look at my US charts, there seems to be at least a couple of holds per arrival. Well, I'm not 100% sure but they do look like holds...

Onur, thanks... the holds on the charts are not normally included in the procedure such as they are at EGLL for example. That is what I meant.

Dan Downs KCRP

Onur, thanks... the holds on the charts are not normally included in the procedure such as they are at EGLL for example. That is what I meant.
Ooopps, sorry Dan, I probably missed the word "file" in your earlier post and only read "procedure". :( I was actually wondering if they were really holding fixes in the charts or if they had some other meaning.

Yup, that racetrack symbol is universal I think for holding pattern. For example, there are two indicated on the BLOND1 STAR one each at RUDOLF and one at BLOND. They are right turn 8 nm legs inbound course 093 both... and I suspect that RUDOF is the hold center would use and BLOND used by approach based on altitudes/distances. The procedure files do not include these holds because they are only used by exception, that is, only when ATC issues the hold.

Dan Downs KCRP

It was the LZARD4 (KTPA) with an issued hold at OLENE. When I entered it, the FMC gave me a right-hand turn, but the pattern is to the left. Again, I'll have to go back and check, but the /L didn't "take" for some reason. We'll take a look at it tomorrow - or Monday - since tomorrow is Super Bowl! :(

Chuck, the FMS is not aware of the published pattern at OLENE, because it is not in the procedures file. The only way to include a hold in the sidstar file is to make it mandatory. Therefore, the right hand turn is only a default value that you do have to change to Left. Note that you are below 14000so std hold time is 1 min (time unless distance is specified). See: FAA Instrument Flight Handbook http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviatio...ters%208-11.pdf

Dan Downs KCRP

Just flew it and yes, the simple "L" was all that was needed. I'd been trying /L, etc., and that didn't work (obviously). Thanks everyone for your help!