Sign in to follow this  
Scope

Various trouble with 737-800

I have just purchased the 737-800 upgrade for my -600 pmdg software. And i have some problems with it:When using the 737-800 i have the following problems:1. When i set my flaps to 5 at takeoff and as soon as I rotate the speed tape show the red dashed line on ALL the speedtape. In the -600 i could use this red line to tell the maximum speed - but that doesn't seem to work.2. another thing about speedreduction - i was flying towards an airport and started my glide slope decent at 240 knots - but the aircraft didn't reduce any speed and my throttle was idle. Then i tried the speedbreak spoilers - and that didnt help either - is this a bug or somewhat - i never had such a problem in the 737-600.

I have just purchased the 737-800 upgrade for my -600 pmdg software. And i have some problems with it:When using the 737-800 i have the following problems:1. When i set my flaps to 5 at takeoff and as soon as I rotate the speed tape show the red dashed line on ALL the speedtape. In the -600 i could use this red line to tell the maximum speed - but that doesn't seem to work.2. another thing about speedreduction - i was flying towards an airport and started my glide slope decent at 240 knots - but the aircraft didn't reduce any speed and my throttle was idle. Then i tried the speedbreak spoilers - and that didnt help either - is this a bug or somewhat - i never had such a problem in the 737-600.
About 1. I think this problem (red bricks all over the tape) has been already discussed in the forum, you can make a search.About 2. Well, 250 kts is a very very high speed to start a glideslope descent !! In that point you should be at a max of 180-185 IAS with flaps 5. Reduce afterwards to 160-165 flaps 15 and drop the landing gear, and inmediatly reduce to Vref+5 and flaps 30 or 40 depending on runway length or expected braking action.

Hi....Jesper?To answer your 2nd question, 240KTS is way too high for that stage of the flight, you should be at 210 max. You should notice BTW that the aircraft won't slow down unless you lower your gear anyway. Like I said though, 240 is too high, assuming you're intercepting the G/S at 3-5 thousand feet.As for your first question, I remember the speed tape issue being brought up here a while ago, if you look further down the threads you should see it. Unfortunately I don't remember any solutions.Are you sure that you are setting everything correctly (pre-flight)?Don't forget to sing with your real name next time :(EDIT: A 737 thread and Jose Luis, man why am I not surprised, hehe. You beat me to it :( :(

Ok, i'll try for a slower approach next time. The red tape thing - is it a bug to be fixed? or something i'm missing?

Never heard of the speed tape problem, but if the above poster has, then I guess it exists. Strange.Anyhow, for slowing down, remember nearly all commercial flights are brought down in steps and have some time to level off to slow down. Your speed should actually be no more than 195, since that is the limit at flaps 10, and you need to extend flaps 15 when the G/S is captured. Then lower gear and keep slowing to Vref+5+Wind correction.Keep in mind, even with flaps lowered to 15 and gear down, you might still have trouble slowing, so know the plane's limits. You should be configured for landing by 5 miles out.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Ok,Here it is: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...=737+speed+tapeIt can't be a bug, if it were we would all have it.About the approach speed, Chris is right, the 737 will not slow down easily. In addition to what has been said, plan your final approach as to be in full landing config. (gear down, landing flaps 30-40, Vref+5) by 1000 feet at the latest for an instrument approach.

EDIT: A 737 thread and Jose Luis, man why am I not surprised, hehe. You beat me to it :( :(
Well, I just love to fly this wonderful aircraft and to know everything about it. :(

Hi allEvery problem that I have ever encountered with PMDG aircraft has been resolved when I select the DEFAULT MSFS flight at start up.If I try to use a saved PMDG aircraft flight............... that is when the problems arise.It can be a bore going through the process of resetting the time/date, shutting everything down on the Cessna, repositioning the a/c to the departure airfield, and finaly reslecting the PMDG a/c for the flight.If I do that EVERY time........my PMDG a/c work perfectly.Hope that might help.Ian

IanOak-RhindSignature6.png

Anyhow, for slowing down, remember nearly all commercial flights are brought down in steps and have some time to level off to slow down. Your speed should actually be no more than 195, since that is the limit at flaps 10, and you need to extend flaps 15 when the G/S is captured. Then lower gear and keep slowing to Vref+5+Wind correction.Keep in mind, even with flaps lowered to 15 and gear down, you might still have trouble slowing, so know the plane's limits. You should be configured for landing by 5 miles out.
I fly the -800 for a living and the flaps 10 speed on the real plane is 210 Knots. Just for the record I have been on glideslope at 250 knots with power to idle many times and the plane just wouldn't slow down. ATC is good at keeping us at or just beyond the limits of our ability do descend and slow without doing something extra. Speed brakes on the 737 are not that effective and flaps are not supposed to be used to slow the plane. Putting the landing gear down does wonders to slow the plane.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

flaps are not supposed to be used to slow the plane
Really?? Do you read that from a company AOM? :(

I fly the -800 for a living and the flaps 10 speed on the real plane is 210 Knots. Just for the record I have been on glideslope at 250 knots with power to idle many times and the plane just wouldn't slow down. ATC is good at keeping us at or just beyond the limits of our ability do descend and slow without doing something extra. Speed brakes on the 737 are not that effective and flaps are not supposed to be used to slow the plane. Putting the landing gear down does wonders to slow the plane.
Yeah, you're right. I must be thinking of an older variant. Sorry about that. :(

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Yup, you can see the flap limits just below the gear lever on the panel. 210 knots may be the limit for flaps 10 but I don't think these limits are used very often due to noise and fuel consumption in RL. Some airports are very strict about this (ex ESSA). Coming in at high speed is not a problem with a strong headwind but normally it doesn't slow down easiliy.In turbulent weather, sometimes even the gear doesn't help it...could be an FS limitation though, not sure :(

Yup, you can see the flap limits just below the gear lever on the panel. 210 knots may be the limit for flaps 10 but I don't think these limits are used very often due to noise and fuel consumption in RL. Some airports are very strict about this (ex ESSA). Coming in at high speed is not a problem with a strong headwind but normally it doesn't slow down easiliy.In turbulent weather, sometimes even the gear doesn't help it...could be an FS limitation though, not sure :(
Well, the limit for flaps 10 in the NG is 240 Kts IAS.flaps 1,2,5 - 250 ktsflaps 10 - 240 ktsflaps 15 - 200 ktsflaps 25 - 190 ktsflaps 30 - 175 ktsflaps 40 - 162 ktsAnd even though that is the limit, 210 kts seems a way high speed for a flap 10 configuration in final approach if we see all the PMDG manuals and Metzinger's tutorials.

You could be right, I'm not sure if that's 1 or 4...hmmm...I used to listen to Istanbul tower on liveatc (it's gone now for some reason), aircraft were instructed to maintain 210 kts until 6 miles for seperation when there were strong winds. (slower ground speed I guess) Since Turkish has a lot of NG's I guess it is done in RL.Whether flaps 10 is applicable at 210, I don't know about RW but as you have said it's unlikely in FS.

Really?? Do you read that from a company AOM? :(
We (American Airlines) have been having a lot of problems with faults during flap extension and cracks in the slats due to extending them at or near the limits. We actually have a company imposed limit of 240 knots for flaps 1,2 and 5. They are asking us to try to wait until we are near the bug (ie: UP, 1, 5) before going to the next setting. They want us to use speed brakes or gear to slow the plane when necessary. My brother flies the 737 for Continental and surprisingly Boeing has told them that they use the speed brakes too much. I didn't know that was possible.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg