Sign in to follow this  
Scope

Various trouble with 737-800

We (American Airlines) have been having a lot of problems with faults during flap extension and cracks in the slats due to extending them at or near the limits. We actually have a company imposed limit of 240 knots for flaps 1,2 and 5. They are asking us to try to wait until we are near the bug (ie: UP, 1, 5) before going to the next setting. They want us to use speed brakes or gear to slow the plane when necessary. My brother flies the 737 for Continental and surprisingly Boeing has told them that they use the speed brakes too much. I didn't know that was possible.
I can't imagine using spoilers too much, that's funny! Although considering how every pilot I've heard talk about NG spoilers, they seem to suggest they're rather useless. I'd love to know if the NG speedbrakes/spoliers are just as worthless in other aircraft. As far as flaps, I'd think it would be logical to keep the extension speed well below at each deployment. I've always been told they are not to be used for slowing.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I can't imagine using spoilers too much, that's funny! Although considering how every pilot I've heard talk about NG spoilers, they seem to suggest they're rather useless. I'd love to know if the NG speedbrakes/spoliers are just as worthless in other aircraft. As far as flaps, I'd think it would be logical to keep the extension speed well below at each deployment. I've always been told they are not to be used for slowing.
I noticed that the spoilers are not as efficient as other aircraft so I'll drop the gear to help slow me down. You just have to make sure your below the maximum gear extension speed.Dan Schultz