Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Help needed to land on a carier in Flight Deck 5

Guest cliffie1931

As I cannot find a Flight Deck 5 Forum I'd appreciate tips on how to read the instruments in order to land on a carrier.In particular how do we interpret the instruments to achieve the required glide slope? I had thought an ILS instument would be involved but that doesn't seem the be the case.Cliff

I believe Flight Deck 5 is fundamentally flawed and broke,if you read thier FAQ and help guide they ask thier customers to rewrite and change configuration files,I'm sorry but that's just wrong.Also the aircraftcarrier and aircraft that come with it are so poorly modeled that they make flight sim graphics from 20 yrs ago look great,I never was able to land on the carrier as my hornet kept sinking through the deck so I'm sorry I can't help with your question./Patrick/

"... how do we interpret the instruments to achieve the required glide slope? I had thought an ILS instument would be involved but that doesn't seem the be the case."Cliff
First, here's some background material explaining the things you should be aware of when landing on a carrier. It's very basic.Click here for a backgrounder.Next ... it sometimes helps to watch a professional do it. Here's a video showing an actual landing.
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />Next, here's a tutorial video produced by the FSX Blue Angels. It explains how to use the instruments in an aircraft to land on an aircraft carrier. Although not specific to Flight Deck 5 (which I understand has not gotten stellar reviews) it will at least give you the background information you need to understand the standard instrumentation on board your aircraft and the instruments on the carrier designed to assist you in your approach.Click here for the tutorial video.Cheers

Guest cliffie1931
First, here's some background material explaining the things you should be aware of when landing on a carrier. It's very basic.Click here for a backgrounder.Next ... it sometimes helps to watch a professional do it. Here's a video showing an actual landing.
Next, here's a tutorial video produced by the FSX Blue Angels. It explains how to use the instruments in an aircraft to land on an aircraft carrier. Although not specific to Flight Deck 5 (which I understand has not gotten stellar reviews) it will at least give you the background information you need to understand the standard instrumentation on board your aircraft and the instruments on the carrier designed to assist you in your approach.Click here for the tutorial video.Cheers
Thanks guys. You've confirmed my belief that I should uninstall Flight Deck and write it down to experience.Cliff

Thanks guys. You've confirmed my belief that I should uninstall Flight Deck and write it down to experience.
After you do that, go here and sign up (it's free). Download the two free carrier landing missions (Practice and Day Traps). These missions were built by one of the world's top mission designers. Truly well-done missions.body-flash-index.gifThe main benefit of these missions is that you get a Landing Signal Officer who will give you directions as you are approaching the flight deck. He'll tell you if you're too high, too far left or right, too slow, etc. He'll even wave you off if he feels like your pass isn't going to succeed.When you're comfortable you've got everything nailed down, fly Brandon Seltz's Carrier Landing IMC mission in the Acceleration Expansion Pack. If that mission doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat bleeding sweat bullets you may already be dead.Cheers,Kevin

Guest cliffie1931
After you do that, go here and sign up (it's free). Download the two free carrier landing missions (Practice and Day Traps). These missions were built by one of the world's top mission designers. Truly well-done missions.body-flash-index.gifThe main benefit of these missions is that you get a Landing Signal Officer who will give you directions as you are approaching the flight deck. He'll tell you if you're too high, too far left or right, too slow, etc. He'll even wave you off if he feels like your pass isn't going to succeed.When you're comfortable you've got everything nailed down, fly Brandon Seltz's Carrier Landing IMC mission in the Acceleration Expansion Pack. If that mission doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat bleeding sweat bullets you may already be dead.Cheers,Kevin
Thanks for the tip KevinCliff