Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

G4Ti4800 - Gainward or Chaintech??

I have been watching Pricewatch and see these two manufacturers at around $164 for GeForce 4 Ti4800. Anyone have experience with these mfg's? Also, what is the difference between an "SE" and Golden Sample? Any help appreciated!

Hi,Can't answer your question, but why not try www.guru3d.com . Loads of good info and forums about video cards etc.howard

Guest gasebah

I am not quite sure, so don't take my word for it: I believe to remember that the SE versions are actually 4200 based, while the 4800 without "SE" is a 4600. That is part of the new Nvidia marketing "confuse ur customer" strategy (like that idiotic MX thing) Having said that I just upgraded from a GF4Ti4600 to a Radeon 9700Pro and I will never look back. Get a Radeon :-). They should get cheaper with the 9800 knocking on the door. If you are on a low budget you could try and find one of the older 9500 versions that can be diverted in a 9700 Pro. Here in Germany e-bay is still full of them.When making a decision also remember that the Radeons are DirectX9 cards andFS9 is DirectX9 software.Alex

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Yes, definitely go ATI. The Golden Sample ones have better memory and can be o/ced a lot further.

Guest PaulL01

>I have been watching Pricewatch and see these two>manufacturers at around $164 for GeForce 4 Ti4800. Anyone>have experience with these mfg's? Gainward are noted for using the best components (RF filters etc.) that make their versions better than most not only at 3D but also 2D, it is not just memory and speed but quality and accurate color rendition.>Also, what is the>difference between an "SE" and Golden Sample? Just Marketing hype as far as I know, you have to look at what you get. With the Golden Sample you usualy get enough hhardware to do video (S/digital&anilog cables) editing as well as the ability to hook up to two LCD FP monitors, Mine did and as far as GF4TI cards go other than a bad batch of 4200 cards Gainward has a very good record and come highly recommended.Still as pointed out, the days of GF4 are past being numbered.A good choice in that price range would be the Radeon9500P if you can find one or the 9700P even more so.Just a side point, Though FS9 will require DX9 to run don't be too surprised to find that it doesn

Guest KenG

If you wanna save a little money and stick with the NVidia line, get a 4200-based card. I've got an Albatron Ti4200 Pro which is currently clocked at 4600 speeds: GPU core = 310 MHz; memory = 650 MHz DDR. This is on stock cooling and it still has a bit of headroom on the memory. At the speeds I'm running, there is no difference between a 4600 (4800) and a 4200 card.These cards are screamers.However, if you want the best image quality (AA and AF), go with the ATi cards. The 9600 Pro is pretty much king on overclocking and price-point merits.

I'm sticking with the GF4 card versus ATI simply because I do not want to go through all the reformat headaches I've been reading about. I just have too much stuff on my hardrive - last time I did this (4 months ago) it took me three days to get back to where I had been before the reformat.I have ordered the Gainward GF4Ti4800 Golden Sample w/ 128 meg...gotta be better than my GF4(?)MMX 440 with 64 meg memory.Thanks again for the help guys, your all top notch here at the Avsim forums!