Sign in to follow this  
mmosko76

Extended Textures are Blurry

I have had this problem for a while. Is there any way to correct this problem?20078e8.jpgMy system specs:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz4 GB DDR2 CorsairNVidia 9600GT 512MBCorsair 520W Power SupplyWindows XP Home SP3

Hi,As someone suggests in another post just type "blurred" or "blurries" in the search of this forum and you will get a lot of information. If it will help I don't know because some answers are rather pessimistic about those blurred textures :( .BTW, I have a PC with the same specs, but with only 3 Gig memory because XP doesn't use more than 3 Gb. Cheers :( Rob

Under settings, look at display/scenery and make sure the 'extended terrain textures' box is ticked. :(

You could do the 'extend terrain textures' thing, but sometimes it overburdens your system if you are using photo scenery.Another option is to make things more real to life by reducing the visibility so you don't see that far anyway. 20 to 30 miles of visibility is often as much as you get with pollution (we're all doooomed!).There are also more options for fog and stuff in the registered version of fsuipc. http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html. fsuipc is probably on your system, but paying to register gets you more cool stuff to fiddle with.

I have searched all over the forums, nothing that has helped meExtended Textures are ticked, i have tried many tweaksthe thing that bothers me is that I have seen screenshots with guys that have a less end PC than me and they dont get these "boxes"What can it possibly be?

Hi, mMoskovichTry these settings in your fs9.cfg file (make a backup first):[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=34TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.8RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.8RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.8RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.8I hope this helpRafa

I have searched all over the forums, nothing that has helped meExtended Textures are ticked, i have tried many tweaksthe thing that bothers me is that I have seen screenshots with guys that have a less end PC than me and they dont get these "boxes"What can it possibly be?
That would appear to be the "iron cross". It is caused by fltsim going from the detailed terrain system to the simplified terrain system. In the detailed system, terrain tile bitmaps (or photscenery) are used, based on landclass files. In the simplified system, fixed colors rather than bitmaps are used, based on the worldlc.bgl and worldwc.bgl base landclass and waterclass files. A certain amount of color variation (dithering) is done with detail1.bmp. the problem typically is most evident when substitute terrain tile bitmaps are used. The colors in these bitmaps often do not match well with the simplified colors. The problem can be reduced by using terrain tile bitmaps which closely match the coloration in the default tiles, and masked by reducing the visibility.scott s..

Guest Moloro0

Try changing these 2 options in your CFGTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=change them to this:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.5TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.5

wait so scott, run that by me again please. this problem, the "iron cross", is due to faulty .bgl files?and what can I do to fix this. I already re-installed my flight sim (complete re-install)Thanks,Mike

wait so scott, run that by me again please. this problem, the "iron cross", is due to faulty .bgl files?and what can I do to fix this. I already re-installed my flight sim (complete re-install)
It is not due to faulty files. It is due to the fact that two different systems are used for creating terrain (near and far) and there is always going to be a bit of a line or seam at the border where the sim switches over. The core problem for the user, is that there isn't much control over how the distant terrain is displayed -- it's pretty much hard-wired into the design of the terrain system. So, the only thing the user can really control is1. visibility. If you reduce the visibility, the distant terrain is less noticeable2. nearby terrain. MS seems to have worked very hard on the default terrain to achive a smooth blending going from near to far. It's unlikely (though possible I suppose) to create addon scenery which would improve on the default, particularly because most addon terrain is designed with a view to looking good in the nearby area. All you can do is experiment with different landclass files and texture sets to see what works best for the kind of flying you do.Attached is a figure from the definitive study of FS9 terrain "Landclass, Waterclass, Mesh, Terrain,FS9.CFG Parameter. Dokumentation f