Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Norton ghost

I've just been given a copy by clients at Symantec. Is it worth using? I know nothing about this and would appreciate any comments.Thanks.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Norton Ghost is software that is used to create and to write a complete image onto a computer. It can write an image from a flash drive, CD, and possibly over a network too. It is useful if you have a setup where you have multiple computers that need to have the exact same version of Windows, same applications, same drivers, same accounts, same settings, same registry entries, etc, the image can include everything.It is also useful for backing up things in the unlikely event you have a hard drive failure. Since you would have a full image, you could just replace the hard drive, upload the image and you would not lose a thing as everything would be there.So it is definitely a useful thing to have.

It is also useful for backing up things in the unlikely event you have a hard drive failure. Since you would have a full image, you could just replace the hard drive, upload the image and you would not lose a thing as everything would be there.So it is definitely a useful thing to have.
Thanks for that!

Gavin Barbara

I've just been given a copy by clients at Symantec. Is it worth using? I know nothing about this and would appreciate any comments.Thanks.
Hello Gavin,I just used Ghost 12 to do a full image of my Windows XP onto my network drive, which is an external "World Book" 500GB by Western Digital. All went perfectly. Ghost can also do "incremental" file and folder only backups of only those files and folders you wish and it keeps track of any files which CHANGE and then backup only those changed files in the future. Very useful if you have a large number of FlightSim sceneries, airplane repaints etc... which you can easily lose track of if you did manual backups yourself. This is only possible, by the way, if you have a later version of Ghost as the earlier versions cannot do file and folder only backups and could only do a full image of a partition or a drive. But I assume you got the latest version from your client.good luck!Can

Hello Gavin,I just used Ghost 12 to do a full image of my Windows XP onto my network drive, which is an external "World Book" 500GB by Western Digital. All went perfectly. But I assume you got the latest version from your client.good luck!Can
Thanks for that. Nope, I wouldn't get the newest stuff free, it was 12.0, but for free, I'm not complaining. Symantec staff here are a great bunch, very popular with my colleagues who work with them too.

Gavin Barbara

Guest zacharace

Congratulations :( .Ghost is definitely useful, both for backups of a single computer and for scalable (network) applications. I know that a lot of public school districts use it across their school-wide networks; teachers are always asking to have their computers "re-imaged."