Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Angel

Texture Load Issue

I've googled this problem and I've seen a couple of mentions on the web, but no actual solutions for dealing with it.Basically, in some aircraft I'll get slow texture loads for some objects. This will happen with airport lights in the distance, and when switching between views, but more irritating is when it happens with the strobe lights. I actually see a inverted FSX logo over the texture before it pops into place. See the pic below. I can pretty much do a 10 count and move my view back to the wing and get this inverted logo. I'll see the same inverted logo when, for example, cycling to the view of AI planes.I believe the issue is with payware aircraft which have a greater number of textures and higher texture resolutions. The defaults are just fine.I have a Q6600 @ 3.0 and a Nvidia 8800GTS 512. I'm running DX10 mode (the ony way I can get decent performance). Perhaps I'm just maxing out the texture memory for my card, in which case I'll just have to live with it till my next upgrade (probaby two years away). I've tried various tweaks of the config file, bloom on/off, etc.Just wanted to check and see if anyone had dealt with and resolved this somehow.

I've googled this problem and I've seen a couple of mentions on the web, but no actual solutions for dealing with it.Basically, in some aircraft I'll get slow texture loads for some objects. This will happen with airport lights in the distance, and when switching between views, but more irritating is when it happens with the strobe lights. I actually see a inverted FSX logo over the texture before it pops into place. See the pic below. I can pretty much do a 10 count and move my view back to the wing and get this inverted logo. I'll see the same inverted logo when, for example, cycling to the view of AI planes.I believe the issue is with payware aircraft which have a greater number of textures and higher texture resolutions. The defaults are just fine.I have a Q6600 @ 3.0 and a Nvidia 8800GTS 512. I'm running DX10 mode (the ony way I can get decent performance). Perhaps I'm just maxing out the texture memory for my card, in which case I'll just have to live with it till my next upgrade (probaby two years away). I've tried various tweaks of the config file, bloom on/off, etc.Just wanted to check and see if anyone had dealt with and resolved this somehow.
The only way to resolve the issue is to use DX9. It kinda sucks that it has to come to that.

Guest firehawk44
I have the same problem but ONLY in default aircraft (go figure). It happened after I installed the Shockwave lights. An individual on the Shockwave 3D Redux forum had pictures of the same thing with default aircraft and posted the problem back in Sep 08 but no one responded. Very few people use DX10 (I do because it increases FPS drastically). So far I have replaced the original halo.bmp, reinstalled Nvidia drivers, and rolled driver back to an earlier version I knew worked with DX10. I think it's a problem in the individual aircraft configs in the lighting section. It could be one of the fx* files in the effects folder too. One thing for sure, I do not have the problem with the Shockwave lights installed. In your case, with commercial aircraft addons, it is most likely the fact you have a slider or two set too high as it looks like you're rendering is slow and your system is trying to catch up. I intend to do what the other individual recommended, turn off DX10. Everything looks great with it off.Good luck on your problem!Jim

Guest firehawk44
I have the same problem but ONLY in default aircraft (go figure). It happened after I installed the Shockwave lights. An individual on the Shockwave 3D Redux forum had pictures of the same thing with default aircraft and posted the problem back in Sep 08 but no one responded. Jim
Just a quick update regarding my problem with Shockwave lights. I just found an "unofficial" post on sim-outhouse's forum and Shockwave did not make the lights to be compatible with DX10 or Vista. I knew there was a reason I uninstalled the Shockwave lights several months ago and now I know. But I will keep them installed this time as they are just too nice. Jim

The only way to resolve the issue is to use DX9. It kinda sucks that it has to come to that.
Ah, well. Figured as much. Guess I'll just have to live with it, along with the flickering taxiways. Right now I've been flying around in the default C172, and the strobe issue doesn't present itself in that plane.Maybe in a couple of years when I upgrade my machine again DX9 mode will run better.