Sign in to follow this  
Guest darrincates

TileProxy & Multiplayer Flying

Guest darrincates

My best friend moved from here in Maine, out to Granby Colorado about 15 years ago, and phone calls had been the only contact we have had since then. He never got a computer until a year ago, and just got internet a month ago. Last weekend I talked him through setting up TileProxy and he loves it ... we figured out multiplayer flying and yesterday he lead the way around Denver and up into the divide of the Rockies, where he showed me his house!The resolution was fantastic, and he said in mid flight "I can actually see goats on the goat trails!" But the ability for me to be able fly around with him, and get a guided tour of his neck of the woods, with both of us seeing the same high res tiles beneath us was fantastic! - What a way for a couple friends to do something together while we're 2000 miles apart!All thanks to TileProxy!

Incredible...truly a fantastic application of a great program! It has changed the way I fly in FS9...I can only imagine how great FSX must be with the higher resolution.

Guest darrincates

I run both FSX and FS9, with TileProxy, and it looks pretty good both ways .. the only two differences I notice is the Water edges and the water effects are better in FSX, and FSX can load up a slightly higher level of tiles. on the other hand, I was surprised at how close FS9 came to FSX using TileProxy ... your missing some but not too much!Here's what I see in Fresno with FSX:http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/tileproxy/Fresno1.jpg and then I flew over the USAF airplane graveyard in Tuscon, here's a shot of just one small section:http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/tileproxy/graveyard2.jpgTTYL! - Darrin

Those are some terrific shots....I have found that the American Southwest is my favorite region in which to fly. The contrasting scenery and colors are just amazing. Service 3 has some great coverage in the States; I have found that Service 1 gives good results for Southern England. Have you discovered any other regions world-wide where high-res coverage is good? Regards - Elwood Smith

Guest darrincates
Those are some terrific shots....I have found that the American Southwest is my favorite region in which to fly.
I am slowing realizing that too!
The contrasting scenery and colors are just amazing. Service 3 has some great coverage in the States; I have found that Service 1 gives good results for Southern England. Have you discovered any other regions world-wide where high-res coverage is good? Regards - Elwood Smith
I went to the pyramids which was so-so, and that's all for out of states. Alaska last night and although the mountains around Anchorage looked amazing in the distance, the tiles under me were blurry ... I will re-try soon.I have flown around a bit, but nothing seems to compare to flying around my home flying area of Maine and new Hampshire. Larger cities do have level 17! I went to devils tower which is where they filmed 'Close Encounters' which was pretty good detail. Take off from Sundance, Wyoming, Taylor field, and just keep flying the way you take off for 25 miles, can't miss it. I too am looking to fly the high res areas now that I have TileProxy running so good! - but I am addicted to flying around Maine. - TileProxy is filling big circles as I type this ... Darrin

Guest cbuchner1
I run both FSX and FS9, with TileProxy, and it looks pretty good both ways .. the only two differences I notice is the Water edges and the water effects are better in FSX, and FSX can load up a slightly higher level of tiles. on the other hand, I was surprised at how close FS9 came to FSX using TileProxy ... your missing some but not too much!
With FS9 use the "water smoothing" option instead. This will take some CPU cycles, but it will adjust the coast line to the image content.Accidential floods and other mishaps included.Christian

Guest darrincates
Accidential floods and other mishaps included.
Thanks CB! - FS9 looks much better with water_blending=off, and water_smoothing=on, and we have a lot of lakes, rivers and streams up here in Maine. Last night I did Moosehead Lake; 40 miles long and 22 miles wide making it the largest lake in the country to lie within one states borders ... Take off from Rockwood, and head South to fly over Mt. Kineo, the countries largest Flint deposit. Indians from 100's of miles away would trek weeks to get some of the pure flint stone. Although colorized B&W, and 1.1 at best, it's still very fun and scenic. So much so that I didn't take any screenshots which is odd for me.

darrincates.....I noticed that you posted your .ini settings for FSX in another thread....would you mind letting me see your FS9 settings? I'm only getting 20-24 tps with a 4 Mbps connection. I've always wondered if I could do better, and I get the impression other people are getting better numbers with FS9. Thanks!

Guest darrincates
darrincates.....I noticed that you posted your .ini settings for FSX in another thread....
that post might have my old .ini settings I think ...
would you mind letting me see your FS9 settings? I'm only getting 20-24 tps with a 4 Mbps connection. I've always wondered if I could do better, and I get the impression other people are getting better numbers with FS9. Thanks!
I'm not sure how to check the tps, ... I have FSX and FS9 and one installation of TP, and one proxyUser.INI. I have the "Edit proxyUser.INI" shortcut on my desktop, and when I simply chenge the two water vairables depending on which FS I'm going to run:# Recommendation: FSX users: Use water_blending=on, water_smoothing=off# to get soft land/water transitions## FS9 users: Use water_blending=off, water_smoothing=on# to get hard land/water transitions which# Tileproxy tries to match pixel-exact against coast-lines## Combining water_smoothing and water_blending is discouraged.# It's slow and gives weird results.that's all I change, and my proxyUser.ini is here: http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/tileproxy/ProxyUser.INI (currently set up for FSX) note that currently it is using Service 3, under which I have the level_mapping remarked until I learn how to use it effectivley. I'm pretty happy without it, but I wonder if my slow, 3000ft flights could be enhanced by it somehow. Here's the basics for my FS9 set up:max_lod=17preload_min_lod=8preload_max_lod=15 max_contexts=512water_blending=Offblend_distance=100.0water_smoothing=Oncache_bytes_limit=200000000cache_tiles_limit=500000 and[service Example 3]cache_folder=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\cache.service3network_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.yimg.com|path=/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=5max_level=17#level_mapping=9,10,11,14,14,14,15,16,17map_version=1.8color_hack=Yescolor_level=13bulk_extend=50I am just now realizing that the other service examples are set to max_level=19, I wonder if I'm not getting what I think I'm getting?