Sign in to follow this  
Guest dc10captain

cannot get throttle to retard or reverse?

Guest dc10captain

I just bought new computer with fast processor and new video card. cannot get throttles to go into reverse upon landing in all the programs I have installed (DC10,757,MD80 and MS2004 aircraft.) I press F1 for idle they won't retard, F2 for reverse, they do for instant then spool up again. Push Z but that doesn't work. As an airline pilot perhaps not fluent with computer but have read these instructions for each aircraft installed. I also see the turning off autothrottle and Autopilot at 200 agl to hand fly, have noticed the AP light does flash off and on. Should I uninstall and reinstall everything?? Does anyone have an answere? dc10captain@att.net

We don't know which simulator and version you are using. We also don't know which controller(s) you are using (brand, model), which connection they are using (analog game port, digital/MIDI game port or USB - one model even used the serial port) or if you are only using the keyboard. Some earlier version even have the ability to operate the control surfaces with the mouse (a mouse interface may be available as an add on for more recent versions).Had this post not been in the section intended for forum use problems, the presence of the post in the FS 2004/FS 9 forum or the FS X version the location would have been a better clue as to the FS version. I've heard some add ons intended for FS 2004 have some usability in FS X.In Microsoft Flight Simulator reverse thrust will only function as long as the throttles remain at absolute minimum. Make sure you don't have assignments for multiple controllers (like both yoke and joystick or both yoke and throttle quadrant). If you leave the controller at some other value while using the keyboard to minimize the throttle setting the controller might subsequently override the setting you made with the keyboard.The absolute minimum setting could be interrupted by a game controller that has oxidized or dirty potentiometer contacts. The additional electrical resistance could be giving the game port (or analog to digital circuitry in a USB controller) brief false readings.The feasibility and durability of cleaning the potentiometer varies depending on the controller brand and model (sometimes even manufacturing date for the same model). The drivers for many controllers make it possible to test the controller axis in the callibration/test pop-ups (watch for fluxuations in the value indicators).Sometimes the electrical characteristics of analog components change a little due to age or the temperature changes after the equipment has operated for a while. Those changes might make a potentiometer have different values at the end of its travel than it did when the controller was calibrated. Some users start or stop the controller motion slightly short of the mechanical stops during the calibration procedure (especially at the minimum end of the throttle travel) to make certain they will always be able to reach a position that will produce a minimum setting.Just in case, make sure you deactivate the autopilot and autothrottle seperately. In some aircraft deactivating just the autopilot will leave the autothrottle active.