Sign in to follow this  
BartEnder

Performance problem again on HighEnd system

Hello Everybody!In autumn, I have bought a rather decent hardware:E8500 Core2Duo 2x3.16GHz FSB333MHz) switched to Q9770 (Core2Extreme 4x3.20GHZ, FSB333MHz) month ago4GB Kingston (2x2GB, 800MHz)Gigabyte P-45 M-boardGigabyte's Radeon HD4850HD 512GB BAM switched to Nvidia GTX280 1GB RAM month ago300GB VelociRaptor 10krpmTripleHead2Go (3840x900)Saitek's pedals, X52 stick and a Yokeand so on...I use FSX with SP2, with Flight Enviroment X, Ultimate Terrain X, Active Sky X and What a Wonderfull World plus some other non texture-minded stuff.What is strange - I have a 15-20fps inside a Bushawk cockpit. I try to disable all the above's programs textures - gain of 2-3fps. Settings are mostly at right side (no light bloom, autogen very low, no self-shadow at aircraft).What is even more strange - I attach a single monitor, played it at 1024x768 and the frame rate is almost identical! It goes the same on very small active window with FSX. I thought it was a CPU/GPU problem, so I have changed them for a faster one, and gain nothing...I play an FSX on my Dell's XPS m1530 at the same graphical settings (but bare FSX, no add-ons at all) - I use this notebook for testing new add-ons for FSX. There, I have double the frame rates according to the desktop.Any clues? Could be the RAM a bottleneck?

Guest pete1_leeds

did you do a full reinstall after upgrading your hardware??follow the fsx installation guide posted on here, somewhere further down the posts (or do a search)higher mhz ram probs will help but you should be getting better FR than what you are experiencingwhere in the world are you flying from? even the best hardware wont get much more than 25fps in default aircraft out of KLAX for example

did you do a full reinstall after upgrading your hardware??
Yes, I did a FORMAT C: which was finished yesterday. That's why I posted this topic, becouse I have know for sure that this is not a software related
follow the fsx installation guide posted on here, somewhere further down the posts (or do a search)
I installed it exactly that way, also on my notebook I use it the very same way. On desktop - crap, on notebook - quite OK (the same detail level)
higher mhz ram probs will help but you should be getting better FR than what you are experiencingwhere in the world are you flying from? even the best hardware wont get much more than 25fps in default aircraft out of KLAX for example
I know that :)I took the JustFlight 737 PIC and manage to get ~45-50fps at FL330 (spot view), but no matter how small the active FSX window is, the performance is the same. I even change the nVidia panel settings, but it does not change a damn thing (unless i get the x16 AA which slows down the FPS counter)I am rather a bush flyer, i choose mostly often medium/small airports.What bothers me most, it is almost constant (FPS counter), no matter how I set the sliders (only on all-minimal I get much more)

I use FSX with SP2, with Flight Enviroment X, Ultimate Terrain X, Active Sky X and What a Wonderfull World plus some other non texture-minded stuff.What is strange - I have a 15-20fps inside a Bushawk cockpit.
What FPS would you prefer? Some people would kill for a consistent 20 FPS.1) How many FPS do you get in the default Cessna under the exact same flying conditions?2) How many FPS do you get when you turn off Ultimate Terrain X?3) What kind of weather is it (mostly clear, or fog?) How many FPS do you get when Active Sky X is disabled all other things being equal?There are literally thousands of variables ... but in general, you're doing some things that are inherently going to limit your FPS.* You're flying a non-default aircraft which may not be well-designed for FSX (#1 will tell you the "cost" in FPS of this aircraft).* You're using Ultimate Terrain X, which adds significant elements (mostly extruded bridges, but also roads, railroads, etc.) to the scene that have to be drawn depending on where you are flying (#2 will tell you how many FPS this is costing you).* You're using custom weather, which may be adding complex weather layers (#3 will give you the cost in FPS of this).My impression as you described your situation was that you were getting pretty good performance given what you're attempting to do with a mid-level computer (a duo core is, frankly, midlevel when considered against what is available today).If you are seeking more FPS, I'd suggest turning water to low 2x, and reducing Scenery Complexity to Dense. Turn off shadows. Depending on where you are flying you should gain 5-10 FPS this way.Cheers

Guest pete1_leeds
What FPS would you prefer? Some people would kill for a consistent 20 FPS.1) How many FPS do you get in the default Cessna under the exact same flying conditions?2) How many FPS do you get when you turn off Ultimate Terrain X?3) What kind of weather is it (mostly clear, or fog?) How many FPS do you get when Active Sky X is disabled all other things being equal?There are literally thousands of variables ... but in general, you're doing some things that are inherently going to limit your FPS.* You're flying a non-default aircraft which may not be well-designed for FSX (#1 will tell you the "cost" in FPS of this aircraft).* You're using Ultimate Terrain X, which adds significant elements (mostly extruded bridges, but also roads, railroads, etc.) to the scene that have to be drawn depending on where you are flying (#2 will tell you how many FPS this is costing you).* You're using custom weather, which may be adding complex weather layers (#3 will give you the cost in FPS of this).My impression as you described your situation was that you were getting pretty good performance given what you're attempting to do with a mid-level computer (a duo core is, frankly, midlevel when considered against what is available today).If you are seeking more FPS, I'd suggest turning water to low 2x, and reducing Scenery Complexity to Dense. Turn off shadows. Depending on where you are flying you should gain 5-10 FPS this way.Cheers
he's not on core2duo hes on a c2quad extreme at 3.2ghz, your not telling me that 15-20fps bush flying is all that the core2extreme at 3.2ghz is capable of....

1) How many FPS do you get in the default Cessna under the exact same flying conditions?2) How many FPS do you get when you turn off Ultimate Terrain X?3) What kind of weather is it (mostly clear, or fog?) How many FPS do you get when Active Sky X is disabled all other things being equal?My impression as you described your situation was that you were getting pretty good performance given what you're attempting to do with a mid-level computer (a duo core is, frankly, midlevel when considered against what is available today).If you are seeking more FPS, I'd suggest turning water to low 2x, and reducing Scenery Complexity to Dense. Turn off shadows. Depending on where you are flying you should gain 5-10 FPS this way
So, 1. 20-25fps When I have view from a tower (Cessna far away, barely visible)2. Exactly the same, maybe +1, +2fps (I tried to swich everything texture-related and played a moment with a default ones)3. Again no diffrence or very low difference (+few FPS max) between foggy and clouded FEX maxed-out textures and clear skies without single cloud (and w/o WWW, UTX, ASX and FEX)Q9770 is the fastest CPU at 775 socket anyway. It does works exactly as previous E8500, any FPS more...My water is low x2, scenery complexity dense, shadows are only below aircraft.I am pretty sure, something is wrong with the hardware config, becouse I remember how particular sliders affects FPS rate - it does not work now - no matter what You have set, always the same.I have switched from E8500 + 4870HD to Q9770 + 280 GTX with almost none FPS increase... Today i will put DDR3 1333MHz and test it that way.As an addition: both GPU and CPU works under heavy loads (GPU 80-100%, CPU varies 50-100% )

If I were you, I'll start with a simpler HW/SW environment. For example, one display with only OS and FSX installed. Optimize it, then add HW/SW one by one.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have my compuer in top condition. Nothing besides FSX and Vista32 stays on HDD. Bare FSX has the same FPS rates as with all the add-ons. DDR3 won't fit my MoBo, so I will have to give it back :(

Guest jaskanFactor

A wild shot, but i used DriverDetective to update all my drivers and things improved a lot.Trying updating drivers also

Guest SkullxBones

Have you tried deleting the FSX.cfg file and let it rebuild itself?

Trying updating drivers also
Its done :) Drivers, BIOSes, Vista patches...
Have you tried deleting the FSX.cfg file and let it rebuild itself?
That's worth trying, thanks for a clue

I have my compuer in top condition. Nothing besides FSX and Vista32 stays on HDD. Bare FSX has the same FPS rates as with all the add-ons.
Use some CPU/VGA/Memory/HDD benchmarks and compare your scores to others with similar hardwares. If the scores are ok, you know your hardwares are fine and you just need to tweak the FSX.

The Bushawk just rates very low on the Petraeus Index.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...305&noref=1http://linux.myalbemarle.org/wiki/index.ph..._Petraeus_IndexLower than some airliners even, if that makes sense. Too many polygons? Inefficient coding? You can spend the same amount of money getting their Twin Otter which flies magnificently at high FPS.