Sign in to follow this  
teropa

Fly the Maddog 2008 PROFESSIONAL

Hi, I will just copy-paste from their support forum, as I think AVSIM can provide a much larger audience. The official support forums seem to be rather quiet anyway:---Hello,I am a long-time flight simmer, mainly experience lately from Level-D stuff and PMDG MD-11, as I am in the beta teams for both outfits.I have a long-time aspiration with my friends to fly short and medium haul with a plane capable of networked flight. Both pilots at their home, flying from own PCs, using normal procedures and naturally "Online".I would like to know:1. How good the MD2008 PRO is in normal operations, ie. can you fly without surprises from A to B to C using normal standard procedures and flows. Even in Online environment, where things just have to work for it to be fun?I am not looking for a product that can deliver all failures 100%, but for a product that works bugfree (or as bugree as possible, nothing is bugfree) in normal operations, and can handle at least 2 or 3 flights in a row, without flipping.Is the MD2008 such a product, or do I have to spend hours of tweaking and adjusting to get it work properly?2. Networked flight.Does this feature work in a way that both pilots can have their own specific sections of the entire flight deck to work on, so real "procedural" 2-man operations can be done?Are there any shortcomings in this feature, ie. something that doesn

PPL(A)

Guest BlueRidgeDx
1. How good the MD2008 PRO is in normal operations, ie. can you fly without surprises from A to B to C using normal standard procedures and flows. Even in Online environment, where things just have to work for it to be fun?2. Is the MD2008 such a product, or do I have to spend hours of tweaking and adjusting to get it work properly?3. Networked flight. Does this feature work in a way that both pilots can have their own specific sections of the entire flight deck to work on, so real "procedural" 2-man operations can be done?4. Are there any shortcomings in this feature, ie. something that doesn

1. How good the MD2008 PRO is in normal operations, ie. can you fly without surprises from A to B to C using normal standard procedures and flows. Even in Online environment, where things just have to work for it to be fun?
Provided you use the Manager to setup before you launch the FS you will complete a successful flight. The aircraft has no bugs which will crash the system; cause stuttering; low frame rates, etc.. It does work well, and is quite configurable.
I am not looking for a product that can deliver all failures 100%, but for a product that works bugfree (or as bugfree as possible, nothing is bugfree) in normal operations, and can handle at least 2 or 3 flights in a row, without flipping.Is the MD2008 such a product, or do I have to spend hours of tweaking and adjusting to get it work properly?
Yes - she will handle three or more consecutive flights. Bugs or annoyances that I know about: few: the Bank Angle doesn't always work: most issues on the forum are individual pc problems, lack of FS experience, lack of (simulated) multi-engined commercial passenger-carrying aircraft experience, laziness, or just plain using incorrect "rtm" procedures. (Not having used one before, I had a tough time learning to use the FMA, for e.g., and many "newbies" experience hot starts, engines failures on t/o and the odd fire....)Tweaking: One can, surprisingly, tweak most individual panels: FMC, FMA, EOAP, DFGP - anything that annunciates has configurable levels of AntiAliasing (for e.g). You don't have to, and one can tune the VC to the point where it will cause stuttering, but my e6600 handles the "normal" setting at 24fps solid and locked at Seattle. Every individual sound volume can be adjusted up or down. Tweaking is a "do it once and then forget it" operation.Bugs are pretty minimal, there being more issues caused by users not reading - or understanding - the manuals, which you can download from the Maddog site. They are limited to the comprehensive AOM plus a User Manual - which is somewhat "messy" (sic) in it's translation. There are many ambiguities in it, and the information flow is often quite disjointed, and leaving many questions difficult in finding an answer. A "training flight" walk-through is also provided. Most issues are answered by the forum members, many of whom are r/w ATP's, however there's not a lot of input from the Leonardo staff. Neither are close to the excellence of the CoolSky version's forum or manual set. Once the aircraft is mastered, though, this is not an issue.
2. Networked flight.Does this feature work in a way that both pilots can have their own specific sections of the entire flight deck to work on, so real "procedural" 2-man operations can be done? Are there any shortcomings in this feature, ie. something that doesn

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Nick and Paul,Thank you so much! Super responses, exactly the kind of valuable information I was looking for.I will go to a friend's place tonight to check out his "Standard MD08" version. That'll give me further "clue". I guess it's a must-have then!Thanks again, and see you on the MD forums.rgds,Tero

PPL(A)

Guys,Just a short follow-up.Tried the 2008 Standard at friend's house last night.We noticed immediately a couple of things maybe needing attention. I was just wondering, if you have come accross these:- The ground spoiler arming on the ground doesn't seem to work. When you arm the ground spoilers on the ground, it does not arm the spoilers but actually deploys the spoilers. In the air the arming works as it should.- The FMS predicted around 5 tonnes as arrival fuel for our test flight destination shortly before arrival to the dest. We had about 15-20minutes flight remaining and had already came down to 3.5 tonnes of fuel. So it predicted us to have 1.5 tonnes more fuel 15-20 minutes later, than what we had at the time of looking at the prediction in PROG. The actual FOB after landing was somewhere between 2.5 to 3 tonnes.- Dial a FLAP doesn't seem to be modelled?- Fuel X-Feed doesn't seem to be modelled?Can you comment on any of those?Otherwise it seems like a highly complex addon, and I am most likely buying it very soon.rgds,Tero

PPL(A)

1. How good the MD2008 PRO is in normal operations, ie. can you fly without surprises from A to B to C using normal standard procedures and flows. Even in Online environment, where things just have to work for it to be fun?I am not looking for a product that can deliver all failures 100%, but for a product that works bugfree (or as bugree as possible, nothing is bugfree) in normal operations, and can handle at least 2 or 3 flights in a row, without flipping.Is the MD2008 such a product, or do I have to spend hours of tweaking and adjusting to get it work properly?2. Networked flight.Does this feature work in a way that both pilots can have their own specific sections of the entire flight deck to work on, so real "procedural" 2-man operations can be done?Are there any shortcomings in this feature, ie. something that doesn

Guys,- The ground spoiler arming on the ground doesn't seem to work. When you arm the ground spoilers on the ground, it does not arm the spoilers but actually deploys the spoilers. In the air the arming works as it should.- The FMS predicted around 5 tonnes as arrival fuel for our test flight destination shortly before arrival to the dest. We had about 15-20minutes flight remaining and had already came down to 3.5 tonnes of fuel. So it predicted us to have 1.5 tonnes more fuel 15-20 minutes later, than what we had at the time of looking at the prediction in PROG. The actual FOB after landing was somewhere between 2.5 to 3 tonnes.- Dial a FLAP doesn't seem to be modelled?- Fuel X-Feed doesn't seem to be modelled?Can you comment on any of those?Otherwise it seems like a highly complex addon, and I am most likely buying it very soon.rgds,Tero
Hi Tero; The best place to ask these questions is on the "Pilot Operation" forum, within the Maddog site, as there are a number of r/w atp's there, but I'll try to give you an answer to what I know is the case: Fuel consumption: I am not the level of sophistication as you obviously are, so I can't answer this one! Spoilers: Arming and operation vary between aircraft manufacturer: i.e. can be merely by weight on the wheels; can be by wheel spin-up, along with a varying combination of thrust lever position, etc., I've just spent twenty minutes searching this on the web (for the MD80) and I'm a little further in giving you a definitive answer. Even the engineering doc isn't terribly clear:-http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagaz...ly/sy02txt.htmlbut from the Maddog AOM -
Select or control the operating modes of the spoiler/speedbrake system.SPEEDBRAKE OPERATION:During flight lever is used to control the flight spoiler to act as speedbrakes by pulling lever to either

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

On MD80s, arming spoilers on ground can only be done this those equipped with ABS system (autobrake)... Maddog 2006 and Maddog 2008 STD don't have ABS... only manual braking. Maddog 2008 Pro allows users to add ABS via Manager and Setup... But! The ABS/Spoilers system of the current Maddog 2008 Pro doesn't work properly right now. I guess they are working on it. Hope this helps a little bit. EDIT : Fuel X-Feed was modelled and working last time I used it...

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

How are the Frame rates for the MadDog2008 compared to the PMDGMD-11 or LVLD 767 in the VC?

the frames not that great. in fsx, with the Md-11, i get roughly 20 frames on TO, 35-45 in cruise, and 15-20 on approach. and in the md-80, i get like 15 on TO, 25 in cruise, and 15-20 on approach. the frame rates are very weird in the md-80, at times i will get mid teens in cruise, then like mid to high 20s, and on approach, i sometimes get better frames than in cruise. and also, in external view, i rarely see it go above 30, while in the md-11 i get 50s and 60s. once again, this is in FSX, i7 940 at 2.93, GTX260, 4gb of ramadam

the frames not that great. in fsx, with the Md-11, i get roughly 20 frames on TO, 35-45 in cruise, and 15-20 on approach. and in the md-80, i get like 15 on TO, 25 in cruise, and 15-20 on approach. the frame rates are very weird in the md-80, at times i will get mid teens in cruise, then like mid to high 20s, and on approach, i sometimes get better frames than in cruise. and also, in external view, i rarely see it go above 30, while in the md-11 i get 50s and 60s. once again, this is in FSX, i7 940 at 2.93, GTX260, 4gb of ramadam
There's a problem with your setup then, Adam. I lock at 25 and hold that rock solid at Seattle with Airl. Traffic at 35 (last night), road at 12, airport at 15, water at its lowest. Your 940 is the system I'm moving up to in a month or so, and I would hope for much better than that. I do use Nick Needham's nHancer setup and I think this is the key. to a smooth sim. I don't even see bad AA on the bars when turning onto the runway.

i have my system set up as per nick's topic. the numbers i gave are for the vc, in 2d frames are much higheradam
Yup: VC only and 3840 x 1024.