Sign in to follow this  
Guest Topy

FS9 CTD

Guest Topy

Hi everyone,I know this is a hard and boring question, but I'm out of idea regarding my problem, after HOURS of googling and searching.Maybe someone here will have THE idea.Here's the problem: I got random CTD on FS9 after years of no problem.My spec: Core2Duo E6600, 2 Gigs of RAM, 7950GT, windows XP.I fly short hauls everyday without problems, but when I fly long hauls ( 10 hours +), I got CTD in 75% of cases, not in all cases. All my flights are on IVAO.Add-ons: AS, GE Pro, Utlimate Terrain. I fly 100% PMDG (737, 747, MD11 even on short hauls), and had already the problem some weeks before installing the MD11.Kind of CTD: 100% of CTD cases, just minutes before landing or exiting runway, the screen goes black, and 2/3 minutes later, FS9 closes. It never happens on short hauls, or at the middle of a long haul.Windows event manager gives "unknown reason".Here are some Pireps concerned by CTD :MD11DEP: SCEL at 1715Z DEST: LEMD at 0537ZB744DEP: FIMP at 0458ZDEST: LFPG at 1634ZMD11DEP: TNCB at 1913ZDEST: EHAM at 0421Z You're my last chance, so your ideas and sharing of experience are more than welcome. :( Thanks in advance,Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel.I use the PMDG 737 (and many freeware planes too) with no issues. Sounds like FS is hitting a texture file that it doesn't like, and there might be a couple of things to look at here.1. Downloaded textures and/or addons for planes, airports, scenery etc. Occasionally, textures are saved in the wrong format by the add-on author which then results in non-recognition by FS and usually a CTD. If you know roughtly when this started happening, try de-activating sceneries (a common culprit) added since then one by one until the problem stops; then you know which one is causing the problem. Similarly if you've recently added any AI packages. Doesn't sound like an add-on plane issue as you only use PMDG.2. The first version of my Engine Exhaust System had its BMP file in the wrong format, which led to a CTD when flying over graphically intensive areas like photoreal scenery. This is fixed in the most recent versions, but if you use EES, it might be something to think about.Does FS give you an error message, stating which .DLL is involved? :(

Guest Topy

Hi,Thanks for your help.1- Would a bad texture give random CTD ? For example, on last night flight, it crashed. I reloaded the flight (I got an autosave every minute), like 2 minutes before the moment it crashed, and I was able to finish the landing without problem.2- I did not check the message just when it crashed. When I take a look at the windows event manager, it gives an "unknown reason", and no .dll precision. Does FS9 creates a specific crash text file ?Regards,Emmanuel.

Hi Emmanuel.I use the PMDG 737 (and many freeware planes too) with no issues. Sounds like FS is hitting a texture file that it doesn't like, and there might be a couple of things to look at here.1. Downloaded textures and/or addons for planes, airports, scenery etc. Occasionally, textures are saved in the wrong format by the add-on author which then results in non-recognition by FS and usually a CTD. If you know roughtly when this started happening, try de-activating sceneries (a common culprit) added since then one by one until the problem stops; then you know which one is causing the problem. Similarly if you've recently added any AI packages. Doesn't sound like an add-on plane issue as you only use PMDG.2. The first version of my Engine Exhaust System had its BMP file in the wrong format, which led to a CTD when flying over graphically intensive areas like photoreal scenery. This is fixed in the most recent versions, but if you use EES, it might be something to think about.Does FS give you an error message, stating which .DLL is involved? :(
I have only just got MFS FS9 and after 2 week of absolutely no problem and wanting to fly in the caribbean, I downloaded the landclass for Jamaica. Since that, whenever I approached Montego Bay I would get a black blank screen or a CTD.I then removed a scenery that I installed for Montego Bay's Airport but still got CTD, then reluctantly removed the landclass for Jamaica; since that I have had no more problems.

Guest Topy

I did not install any scenery for ages now ...

I did not install any scenery for ages now ...
Well,, I dont know if you have tried even want to but it maybe worth a total clean install including all saves and .CFG in documents and then fly into the area and see what happens.

Sounds like an OOM error to me. The symptoms are pretty much textbook. An OOM doesn't always manifest itself with a message that directly states it as a reason. More often than not, it just CTDs with a random module being the apparent culprit. I could be wrong, but do have a look at your memory usage throughout your flights.

Sounds like an OOM error to me. The symptoms are pretty much textbook. An OOM doesn't always manifest itself with a message that directly states it as a reason. More often than not, it just CTDs with a random module being the apparent culprit. I could be wrong, but do have a look at your memory usage throughout your flights.
I cannot confirm this, but their was a post kicking around here saying FSUIP 3.85 is causing CTD's. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235969I remember having the same problem with FSUIPC 3.70. FS9 ran good for years, and then I started getting CTD's with 3.70.Pete fixed it.Currently using 3.80 with no issues.Just a thought, maybe try a previous version of FSUIPC or an interim version (most current version is 3.865) http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC3865.zipHere is FSUIPC 3.80Not telling you what to do, but after my issue with 3.70, which took weeks to find, I now document any change I make to FS2004 in a txt document. That way, if somethings changes, I have a starting point. I do the same when installing Microsoft updates.Good luck finding the "needle in the hay stack" ,,, and for the record,, I hate needles, they hurt.RJ

Guest Topy

Hi, I run FSUIPC, Version 3.85. I'll try to reinstall FSUIPC 3.80.I'm currently trying to find the needle in my scenery library ...I just scanned AFCADs, no double one.

Are you using the XP 3GB switch? Are you using Aerosoft's AES?If yes to both questions, you may be having crashes related to flying between AES airports and non AES airports. Used to plague me... forced me to choose between 3GB switch and AES... AES won so I doubled my ram and have not had a problem since.

Guest Topy

I don't use the 3 Gig switch. I let my system manage the virtual memory for both HD (1. where FS is, the 2. hosts the 5 big files for world terrain.)And I don't use AES, I read some users got troubles.BUT, I found something strange in my library: I got TWO worldobjects. Is that normal ?Thanks all for your precious help.

Hi GuysJust a thought.... If your using UT Europe what version do you have?There's a patch to version 1.11 on their site... I quote their documentation:Issues Addressed in version 1.11This patch only makes a very small change to the 'Ultimate Terrain Europe Setup and configuration Tool'. The change was necessary to fix out-of-memorysituations that may appear under the following conditions: The user has the 'Add Industrial/Commercial Landclass' features turned on And the user is flying with sophisticated aircraft packages that have a high memory usage. And, the user is making long distance flights across EuropeYou can find the patches on http://www.scenerysolutions.com/Downloads.htmlI have no connection with the above company... I'm having the same problems as you guys and will be giving this a try.If your using version 1.0 don't forget to upgrade to version 1.1 firstHope this helpsCheersSteve

Guest Topy

Oops :( I use FS Global 2005, not UT ...

Oops :( I use FS Global 2005, not UT ...
Nevertheless, it sounds to me also like an OOM and not CTD. Difference between those two is basically, OOM goes black screen, after a while it might crash but it must not, and CTD crashes sim straight to the desktop without any explanation.So, since I think it's an OOM, there is only one way to be sure. You have to check with the Process Explorer (NOT task manager), the Virtual Size of your fs9.exe just before it crashes. The best would be to observe the memory behavior while flying and especially before landing.If the memory is climbing (you *have* to monitor Virtual Size, other parameters don't matter), and going over 2GB, it is going crash, no matter what you do. You might try eliminating portions of your scenery library (simply deactivating them), thus trying systematically to find the cause.But, my experience tells me, that its lesser evil to install a 64bit system, and let fs9 have a virtual space of 4GB, covering basically EVERY memory scenario.Tell me how it goes.

Guest Topy

Hi Word Not Allowed,It's an OOM. Screen goes black, and maybe like 2 minutes after, back to desktop.I'll try a 4 or 5 hour flight this sunday and will let you know.By process manager, you mean the little Windows screen giving a green CPU and memory chart and recording the behaviour of them ? If it is, I'll make a screenshot of it. Some these figures does not mean anything to me.Moreover, I did a memtest all night long, all looks fine.Thanks again, I hope the needle is coming closer.