Sign in to follow this  
Guest RiddlePilot

A call to all pilots!

Guest moomox

How would some of you like to get together and promote VFR flights for new pilots in VATSIM? I'd really like to get some new pilots started and promote the very much ignored VFR portion of online flight. Any new or experienced simmers interested? What we need.ATC ground, tower and terminal/centre positions manned.A friendly voice where new pilots can ask questions about what's, where's and when's of radio procedures.And plently of enthusiastic helpers and pilots.I'd be more than happy to sit around and help out with radio calls and procedures of entry and departure from controlled airspace. I really feel like the young pilots of the world need a friendly and willing voice to help with all the questions they might think are "STUPID"VATSIM seems to be a bit intimidating for all those pilots out there who aren't quite sure what it's all about. If you're interested in participating as a helper or a pilot, leave a post or email me!thevoice@spacerise.net

Guest RiddlePilot

As a controller in ZJX (Jacksonville ARTCC), we often have VFR nights at KJAX and KCRG (within 15 miles of each other). This is a time for both controllers and pilots to work on their VFR procedures and terminology. Look us up at http://home.attbi.com/~chrissmi/default.htm and stop by sometime.

Guest moomox

I had a look at your site. Would you be available to help man a terminal or tower position at some point? I haven't decided on what airport yet, but i'd like it to be in a fairly uncongested area of the world. I live in Canada, so I know of many places here that would be perfect to get VFR pilots feet wet.

Guest RiddlePilot

We've had a few instances of controllers setting up events without prior knowledge of the chief or events coordinator, so I can't say yes or no. You'd have to contact him to set something up. I can promise you though, we'd be more than happy to help out. There are quite a few student controllers at this point that are working on moving up in the ranks. Jacksonville Intl. takes a back seat to Orlando most nights, so its rare that the controllers would be too busy to accomidate you.Just drop our events coordinator (John Binner) a line and he'll work on getting the place staffed. Tell him Travis sent ya.

This sounds like a very good idea. But we must remember that even VFR/Private pilots have basic aeronautical knowledge before jumping in their aircraft for a flight around Dixie. I don't think that ATC should have to explain to young pilots what "enter left traffic" etc means. But your general idea for learning to fly on Vatsim with an understanding ATC is a valid one and really can draw many more people in who might feel intimidated flying with the pros. Groundschool is a must in my humble opinion.[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest RiddlePilot

Where the heck you been Randy!? You still use ICQ?I agree. By offering our services, by no means did I mean that we'd teach the pilots step by step. It was my understanding though that David would teach them a little before they logged on if they didn't already know the basics. There's the option of them doing a multiplayer and all of them using the observer function in FS to "ride along" as well as listen in on RW the first few times.I would never discourage newbies from logging on, as long as they have some idea of general real world procedures. We've had a guy flying into the sector the past few nights who doesn't have a clue. After being handed off from center to approach, he calls me up with "HEY, remember me!!!". First off, thats not the proper way to check in with the controller, and second, he was talking to the wrong approach facility. If you have more knowledge of the system than he did, I promise you're doing alright.EDIT: No one should be afraid of logging on because they think they might make a mistake. Shoot, I stumble over words all the time, give headings 180* opposite of what I meant, vector across final, descend them too far out, and many other goofball mistakes. Very few of the VATSIM controllers are professionals, so its OK if the pilots aren't either.EDIT #2: VATSIM is the best learning tool in the world for the ATC environment. I can't count how many times I logged on while I was working on my instrument rating to shoot approaches at airports I'd never fly to in the real world, just to see if I could manage a new approach procedure. We'd shoot the same approaches over and over in training, but there was always the possiblity that the examiner wanted me to do something new.