Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Arconis True Image: Is Restore Space or Name Defragged?

Any know if you make an image of a drive using True Image and then restore it,will it restore on a file by file basis... resulting is 100% space defragged drive. Might be quicker in some cases than running multiple space defrags.For that matter I guess it may also restore in Name order too?Not talking about the sector by sector image/restore just the normal one.P.S Seagate offers a free tool, Seagate DiscWizard, based on True Image that does pretty much the same as long as you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive in the system.

It's been my experience that a restored image to a drive is heavily fragmented. I use Nick N's guide and O&O Defrag to sort a restored image out.

Guest Nick_N
Any know if you make an image of a drive using True Image and then restore it,will it restore on a file by file basis... resulting is 100% space defragged drive. Might be quicker in some cases than running multiple space defrags.For that matter I guess it may also restore in Name order too?Not talking about the sector by sector image/restore just the normal one.P.S Seagate offers a free tool, Seagate DiscWizard, based on True Image that does pretty much the same as long as you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive in the system.
must be defragged

Guest Nick_N
must be defragged
opppss... probably not clear in my first postFULLY... start with the SPACE then perform the NAME defrag after a reboot.. you may even want to reboot and run NAME againits just like you started from scratch, no different, but it will most likely run through those passes a bit faster with a image overlay

Faster indeed.After a DiscWizard restore, O and O showed the drive as fully SPACE defragged graphically and running a SPACE defrag was all but instant.DiscWizard is based on the newest TrueImage, maybe something has changed.It backs up file by file, then it would restore file by file as well, should be space defragged?The file order is probably close to the directory layout too?Not sure what tool to use to find out?Give it try, it can be a lot faster than multiple defrags on many drives .Another topic...In O an O 11, running SPACE, NAME, the SPACE, the last space seems to mess with the NAME ordering?After the SPACE , NAME were complete the graphical image showed a large white space area in teh middle.Running SPACE again, filled the white space,but ..watching the final SPACE run, it appears to grab blocks randomly from the layout.If its already in NAME order, I'd think it grab them in order?

Guest Nick_N
Faster indeed.After a DiscWizard restore, O and O showed the drive as fully SPACE defragged graphically and running a SPACE defrag was all but instant.DiscWizard is based on the newest TrueImage, maybe something has changed.It backs up file by file, then it would restore file by file as well, should be space defragged?The file order is probably close to the directory layout too?Not sure what tool to use to find out?Give it try, it can be a lot faster than multiple defrags on many drives .Another topic...In O an O 11, running SPACE, NAME, the SPACE, the last space seems to mess with the NAME ordering?After the SPACE , NAME were complete the graphical image showed a large white space area in teh middle.Running SPACE again, filled the white space,but ..watching the final SPACE run, it appears to grab blocks randomly from the layout.If its already in NAME order, I'd think it grab them in order?
What you are describing is an issue with O&O v10 where a SPACE defrag can be a problem after a NAME defragv11 Fixed that issue ,... and least I do not see that problem here at all after testing v11If you are showing freespace clusters in uniform order in between clusters with data using the cluster inspector after a NAME defrag then you are seeing the issue I discussed about O&O v10 and should not run the SPACE defrag after the name defrag