Sign in to follow this  
boing71234567

PMDG 747 X FMC question

hi again, i was flying an autoland approach and i saw that when i was choosing the runway to land on you have to type in something for were it says VFR APPR. usually i type in 15 but when i do that and i auctally preform the autoland i usually land in the middle and sometimes towards the end of the runway. what is VFR APPR and what should i type in to fix this? or what do you usually type in?-thank you

hi again, i was flying an autoland approach and i saw that when i was choosing the runway to land on you have to type in something for were it says VFR APPR. usually i type in 15 but when i do that and i auctally preform the autoland i usually land in the middle and sometimes towards the end of the runway. what is VFR APPR and what should i type in to fix this? or what do you usually type in?-thank you
The FMC is asking you to enter a fictional waypoint (Runway Extension) aligned with the runway, at a chosen distance (let's say 15 miles) when you don't choose any of the other standard procedures (VOR, VOR-LOC, ILS, etc) that you may have available in the ARRivals/DEPartures page of the FMC.

Now, that's a wonderful tool avilable in the 737 and 747.Say you do not have an ILS for the runway you want to land on.For a standard GlideSlope of 3

Hi,Yes this feature is used for runways that for what ever reason do not have an instrument aproach to provide latteral(LNAV) and vertical guidance(VPI vertical path indicator on the ND manually chased using VS or aoutomatic using VNAV) The VFR APPR sets up an 8nm waypoint at 2000ft aal and has a short fly level section before intercepting the "glide". the rwy ext allows you to enter a disance and FPA flight path angle of your choice.A typical real world use of this feature would be rny 07 at KLAS,although adoption of GPS approaches flown using LNAV and VNAV are becomming more common and are replacing the need to fly a VFR APPR.As a last resort you can of course just look out the window!CheersJon Bunting

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Don't overlook the ILS that exists on both 6/24 at KBDL.

Dan Downs KCRP

Don't overlook the ILS that exists on both 6/24 at KBDL.
when you say runway extension and i typed in 15 would that mean "from here" on the picture "to here" on the picture? like from the beginning of the runway to 15 feet after the line were the arrows end.

Of course not !! :( Not 15 feet !! It is from the runway threshold to a point (aligned with the runway) 15 miles away.

when you say runway extension and i typed in 15 would that mean "from here" on the picture "to here" on the picture? like from the beginning of the runway to 15 feet after the line were the arrows end.
It's for visual reference when you're not using any ILS or VOR's, you'll get a line extending out from the runway on your ND. Makes it easier to line up and calculate the descent properly.

I like putting it either 3 or 5 nm out (15 is a bit far for my taste). At 3 nm you should be about 1000 ft agl or at 5 about 1500 agl to yield a 3 deg descent path. Of course, you should be configured for landing before getting this close in (or not later than 1000 agl).

Dan Downs KCRP

I like putting it either 3 or 5 nm out (15 is a bit far for my taste). At 3 nm you should be about 1000 ft agl or at 5 about 1500 agl to yield a 3 deg descent path. Of course, you should be configured for landing before getting this close in (or not later than 1000 agl).
thats probley why i land sooo late, i will try 5.