Sign in to follow this  
jcboliveira

Is anyone using the Strategic Commander with FS2002?

Hello,Is anyone using the Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander with FS2002? It's that mouse-like gizmo with lots of buttons (designed primarily for RPS or FPS games, I think).I've got one sitting in my attic, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck configuring one to work with FS2002. If so, how have you implemented it?Thanks!N

I'm using it. I have the mains keys for auto pilot, gear. Shift 1 and 2 keys for the views (shift 1..9 panel 2D views, this comes in handy for VC flights). Then I have some key programmed with key2mouse for special operation that have to perform just after take-off. I got the idea from a friend that is using it for the PSS Airbus.Jos

Thanks for the reply. Was it fairly straightforward to set it up with FS2002? I.E. do you just install it and tell FS what each button should do like you would with any joystick?If you're wondering why I don't just try it out myself, it's because I have to dig through a million boxes in my attic to find the thing, and I would love to know if it's going to be worth it, first.Again, thanks!N

From the software help"It's easy to program the buttons during game play using Record-on-the-fly:While in your game, press the Record (REC) button one time. The REC button will begin blinking to indicate that the controller is in record mode. Press one of the buttons 1-6 (plus a Shift button, if applicable) that you want to program. That button will begin blinking, as well. At this point any keyboard commands you enter will be recorded. Perform the required task in your game using the keyboard shortcut. Note that mouse clicks and mouse movements are not recorded during this process. Once you have completed the task, press the REC button once more to save the new command. Each button that has an action programmed to it will remain lit as a reminder of which buttons have already been programmed. "Then for rotation and navigation you must use the software that is included.Jos