Sign in to follow this  

MD-11: weird alt after loading a saved flight

I noticed something weird when I load a saved flight. Usually I don't save flights and load them later on, but every now and then after using the menu, FSX looks all weird (black and flashing) and I can do nothing else but save the game, restart FSX and load it again. But that's not the (biggest) problem. The weird thing is that after loading a saved flight above the trans alt, the altitude won't stay where it should be unless I select current QNH. Usually, when you switch between current and standard QNH, you see the alt tape itself jump a little. The magenta dot stays where it is. But after loading a saved flight, the altitude is wrong with standard QNH.Example: I am flying at 33.000 with current QNH. Above the speed tape I see HOLD 30.000 in magenta. When I switch to standard QNH the magenta dot jumps to the BOTTOM of the scale, and the altitude rises to 33.500! Above the alt tape I still see HOLD 33.000. The magenta dot stays at the bottom of the scale. When I go back to current QNH, the magenta dot jumps to middle again and the alt tape moves to 30.000 again. Also, when the alt tape almost reaches its end location, it jumps a little, as if it snaps into place.Anyone still following me...? :( Wait, I'll make some pictures...Here they are: current QNH:1z2no7s.jpg...and standard QNH:1581h1i.jpgWhat's wrong here? I want to fly at 33.000 with standard QNH! This only happens after loading a saved flight!One more little thing: the transition alt in the MCDU isn't saved with the flight. I always set it to what is needed (I fly in Europe all the time) but when I load a saved flight, trans is back to the default 18000.

Example: I am flying at 33.000 with current QNH. Above the speed tape I see HOLD 30.000 in magenta. When I switch to standard QNH the magenta dot jumps to the BOTTOM of the scale, and the altitude rises to 33.500! Above the alt tape I still see HOLD 33.000. The magenta dot stays at the bottom of the scale. When I go back to current QNH, the magenta dot jumps to middle again and the alt tape moves to 30.000 again. Also, when the alt tape almost reaches its end location, it jumps a little, as if it snaps into place.
Just saved a flight and tested what you said. Mine did the same. Standard barometric setting, 1013Hpa made my altitude showing33 250 and not 33 000. I am using FS9./ Leffe

I'm using FSX. So it's not a specific FSX or FS9 bug, apparently.

I would guess that FS saves altitude not flight level when you save a flight. That would explain what you are seeing.

I would guess that FS saves altitude not flight level when you save a flight. That would explain what you are seeing.
Yes, but even then you should be able to switch between standard and current QNH, like you could before saving the flight...?

Then the 747 would do the same, but dosen't! So there you guessed wrong.Standard setting QNH is a requirement for all planes over transition altitude, 18 000 feet in US, but vary in Europe and other country as well.If I save a flight in this state with standard QNH, then it shouldn't show a diffr. altitude on the speedtape. The MD11 will only show it right, if I change it to current QNH and thats's not what i should have before reaching TA./ Leffe