Sign in to follow this  
plowry

Winds aloft speed unstable

I am flying the Flight 1 Cessna Mustang for FSX which is a somewhat complex airplane. I have the ASA upgrade with beta patch installed and operating on a network. I find the winds aloft speed is not stable. For periods it is steady, but frequently it becomes quite irratic. At lower wind speeds the fluctuation is in the range of ten mph; at higher speeds it is much greater. The effect on the airplane is to make the airspeed jump about which impairs performance especially in a climb. If I slow the plane down substantially the wind speed stablizes. I can then increase the speed of the plane and the wind speed remains stable until the problem occurs again. I was also having trouble with the wind direction changing radically, but installing the patch seems to have fixed that. I have not experienced the problem with slower airplanes (e.g. Flight 1 PC-12) and would like to know if there is anything I might be able to do about it. Peter.

Hi,Is DWC On or Off?Do you have FSUIPC4 installed?Thanks,

Hi,In FSUIPC are default settings and weather settings On?Thanks,

Jim I have none of the weather settings in FSUIPC enabled. I use it only for joystick settings. Peter.

Hi,Please try a default plane and see what happens.Thanks,

Jim in the time I have been able to spend this evening I found the wind speed to be stable in the default Airbus and Lear flying the same route/altitude as with the Mustang. But strangely something different happened. For periods of time (as much as a third of the flight) the airspeed indicated was about half what the graphic display called for. For example at 36,000 feet the indicated was 35 mph while the report page showed it should be 72. So you know, I am running FSX Sp1 and Sp2 with Vista. Peter.

Hi,Are virtual stations On or Off?Is enhanced route coverage On or Off?Are you processing a flight plan?Thanks,Jim

Jim, the enhanced route coverage is On. I am processing flight plans. I do not know what is meant by virtual stations. I expect the setting will be the default. Peter.

Hi,There is an ASA option, on the General page, called Create Additional Stations. Is this On or Off?Thanks,

Create additional stations is OFF. That said it now appears to me the unstable wind speed is peculiar to the Mustang. I find that with that airplane the irratic fluctuation that causes the airspeed to jump up and down ocurrs whether I am running ASA or using the FS downloaded weather. The problem may lie with the Flight 1 software, not the Wx engines. Peter.

I had the Mustang for a few weeks before I returned it due to bugs and poor customer support. During that time I noticed erratic wind indications from the airplane that would jump around. They were so out of whack and changing that I assumed it was a bug with the airplane. I suspect that's what you're seeing here.

Wind problems happens alot for me, I fly the Wilco 737 mostly and over the flight the winds will change quickly to the point my aircraft looks like its doing a flat spin, then it will carry on as if nothing happened apart from the IAS either dropping off 50-60 knots or increasing by 50-60 knots, the last couple of lights I have noticed the winds behaving strangly alot more often, press CTRL Z and the winds indicate the same as my FMC and ASA and as well as the flight plan entered into the briefing page as expected but on the main panel the winds seem to stick, and show totally different winds, but this seems to be what the aircraft is reacting to not the winds indicating on the ASA page.Landing in LEAL tonight, i had winds predicted of 290/03, pressed CTRL Z and the winds were 290/03, but indicated on the main panel screen were 293/70, this as you can imagine was a hairy airproach to runway 10, to the point, using my VA flight tracking system, had told me after landing that i exceeded the tailwind landing max, One thing i did notice with the wind changing, ASA seems to have a failure picking up data from the primary server at the time and reverts to secondary server.

Guest kranck

Same problem with ASA in FS9: wind changes from tail wind 25 kt to head wind 68 kt and so on, every few seconds. Airplane gets crazy, speed tape too. On option page all wind turbulences turned off, FSUIPC weather settings off, wind smoothing in ASA turned on. Flying is nearly impossible. Exit ASA will make flying well and stable again. AS 6.5 did not cause such problem, ASA does. Can you helpme?Regards, Norbert

Hi all,In the future please start a new thread for support requests as many times (and most likely in this case) these are separate issues and cause confusion.Please make sure you are running the B355 patch if you are having wind problems with FS9.As to FSX and Problem with Mustang or Wilco 737, it appears that FSX (shift-Z) along with ASA are all matching, this is the actual wind being depicted. If your "Main panel winds" (I assume this is the aircraft ND display?) are wrong this is most likely an incompatibility with global weather mode. This is not the actual wind being depicted in FS however. Shift-Z always displays the actual ambient wind.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies